Avengers: Infinity War - SPOILERS THREAD

Jeor

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

After reading through some of this I'm glad to learn that Nick Fury sent the message only to Captain Marvel in the end credits scene.

In the theater I had thought Nick, seeing bad stuff going down, used his last moments to send out an "Avengers Assemble" message so they would save the day. That being his last act, with us knowing that they had already failed, would've been way too depressing.

Him messaging Captain Marvel is not so sad.

It does sort of imply that him and Hill were just twiddling their thumbs after a spaceship appeared of New York, and made off with Tony Stark. I get why they weren't in the movie, but it doesn't gel too well with the ultra prepared Fury character. And we know for a fact he has access to a Helicarrier, that could have been some handy air support above Wakanda.

To be fair, most of the plot holes centre around Dr Strange because he is generally so powerful. If he had the Time stone there are plenty of things he could have done with it (though whether he can affect the whole universe or only local areas might be a legit question); same with teleporting around the place, including teleporting other people around to constantly escape from the enemies. Why not create portals all surrounding you - they could be essentially an impervious shield? Or, as he did to Loki at the start of Ragnarok use the portals offensively and teleport Thanos and/or the Children away to other distant locations (or under the ocean or something)? Or, like Wong, close portals halfway over people (including halfway over Thanos' gauntlet) to sever them.

I suspect having him look into the future, while a substantial part of the plot in and of itself, was also partially to close off all the questions of "Why didn't Strange do X Y Z"?

3 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

It does sort of imply that him and Hill were just twiddling their thumbs after a spaceship appeared of New York, and made off with Tony Stark. I get why they weren't in the movie, but it doesn't gel too well with the ultra prepared Fury character. And we know for a fact he has access to a Helicarrier, that could have been some handy air support above Wakanda.

The spaceship over NY has been and gone; they don't have the tech to follow it into interstellar space. And the helicarrier presumably takes time to get from one part of the world to another, and the seige of Wakanda wasn't very long.

3 hours ago, Jeor said:

Why not create portals all surrounding you - they could be essentially an impervious shield? Or, as he did to Loki at the start of Ragnarok use the portals offensively and teleport Thanos and/or the Children away to other distant locations (or under the ocean or something)? Or, like Wong, close portals halfway over people (including halfway over Thanos' gauntlet) to sever them.

If you surround yourself with an impervious shield, you may as well not be there. And I assume portals can only be opened in empty space, so you need some way to get the target to pass through them. Though I guess literally opening a portal into deep space would help with that; or just outside a black hole, if you need a more powerful suction than a mere vacuum would provide. Opening one to the surface of the sun would give you a rather powerful heat ray (and an extreme gravitational pull of its own). Maybe the range is limited to Earth's surface, though.

10 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Can Strange portal across the galaxy? All that we've seen so far was on Earth.

I'm going to assume he can only portal to places on the planet he is on, as we've only seen him do that.  He had to fly off to fight Dormammu when a portal would have been easier.

Doesn't explain why he didn't use one to slice off Thanos' arm, though.

4 hours ago, felice said:

And I assume portals can only be opened in empty space, so you need some way to get the target to pass through them.

Well, Strange showed in Thor: Ragnarok that he could move the portals around (Loki was about to attack him and he quickly moved the portal across to intercept him). To me, that's the most powerful weapon...if you move it and close it at the right time, you can basically chop anything, including otherwise-indestructible people or gauntlet-wielding Thanoses in half.

Never mind chopping his arm off, they couldn’t even tug the gauntlet off.  They had super strength Spider-Man and armour powered Iron Man yanking on it.  Wielding five infinity stones shouldn’t make you more able to keep a glove on.

Of course they were hindered by Quill being unbelievably (but conveniently) idiotic in lashing out when Thanos taunted him. It was like the WHAT’S IN THE BOX??!! scene from Seven except the fate of half the universe depended on it.

We've seen Thanos break through the mirror dimension when Strange tried to enclose him in it. I think if Strange had tried to cut his arm off with a portal, the results would not have been successful either, but I agree that it would have been nice to see the attempt.

5 hours ago, Gronzag said:

Maybe Captain Marvel was also 'deleted' by Thanos. Maybe that's how her solo movie ends... Who knows.

I believe Brie Larson is confirmed as being in Avengers 4 (Josh Brolin said he's shot a scene with her), so I think we know this doesn't happen.

8 hours ago, john said:

Of course they were hindered by Quill being unbelievably (but conveniently) idiotic in lashing out when Thanos taunted him. It was like the WHAT’S IN THE BOX??!! scene from Seven except the fate of half the universe depended on it.

Well, I wonder if that was the plan all along.  Quill said it was his plan.  Strange said there was only one way to win.  I think they had to let Thanos win, but had to fight him to convince him they weren't just handing him the stone.  As it were, Thanos looked suspicious.  The only way to win must be to convince Thanos to change himself.  Seeing a universe with half the people wiped from existence -- what's that really going to accomplish?  Ultimately it's got to be unsatisfying.  So the plan is to convince Thanos how unsatifying winning would be, then he'll decide on his own to reverse it.  I think Quill was playing a part.  There was no additional downside though -- if you can kill Thanos in the fight, then game over.  If not, try the Strange-envisioned possibility.  I mean no additional downside if you're going to lose anyway.  How to convince Thanos to change his mind now is the big issue though.

I saw it yesterday. It's a good movie all around- not on par with some of Marvel's best, like Ragnarok, GOTG, and Black Panther, but definitely as good if not better than the original Avengers and a lot of their fun but not remarkable movies (Homecoming, Ant Man, GOTG 2, etc..)

I'm very impressed with the editing and their ability to make this movie not seem overstuffed, considering how many characters there are. I agree with many earlier posters that the focus on Thanos was very smart, as was giving him a lot of the tropes you'd usually give the hero in a movie like this: the vision quest, the "about to be defeated but rallies at the last minute." He was a very effective villain, a nice mix of understandable (if kind of dumb) motives, sadness, and menace.

The most enjoyable parts of the movie for me were all in space: the Thor/Guardians and the Iron Man/Dr. Strange/Spiderman/Guardians meetups were just a lot of fun and had some great lines. I rewatched the original Avengers this week and it's amazing how far Thor has come- the actor has gotten so much better, and he's a much more compelling character after Ragnarok. I don't know what the actor's plans are, but I would love if he just joined the Guardians full time.

The earth stuff was more meh for me after the first fight. The team interactions there weren't particularly interesting, partially because a lot of the Civil War consequences sort of got erased. I would have loved more focus on Banner and Black Widow, or Don Cheadle and Cap, or anything really (kudos to Scarlet Witch and Vision for making me care when I went into the moving not giving a shit). The battle at Wakanda was pretty bland, aside from its ending in the forest when Thanos appears.

The movie had two main flaws for me. Despite being touted as the culmination of all these heroes' stories, I felt it had a tendency to erase the past. Homecoming ended with Spiderman deciding not to be an Avenger... now he's an Avenger. Civil War left characters on opposing sides with a lot of tension... turns out everything is cool. Ragnarok ends with Thor leading his people to find a new home... Turns out they're all dead (and if they're not, the film doesn't show this in anyway, so that's a flaw, though god knows I want Korg and Valkyrie to be alive). 

The second is the so called "stakes." I was shocked at Loki's death, a bit nonplussed at Gamora's, since I figure she'll be back, and then the ending... it's hard to feel the sadness when I know these characters will all be back. Kudos to Spiderman's actor and Downey Jr. for selling me on the moment, but it seemed to me they wanted the sad ending but couldn't commit. 

But again, it's a miracle this movie turned out as well as it did. And it gave me Peter Dinklage as giant space dwarf, and Thor and Raccoon banter, so that goes a long way.

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

Well, I wonder if that was the plan all along.  Quill said it was his plan.  Strange said there was only one way to win.  I think they had to let Thanos win, but had to fight him to convince him they weren't just handing him the stone.  As it were, Thanos looked suspicious.  The only way to win must be to convince Thanos to change himself.  Seeing a universe with half the people wiped from existence -- what's that really going to accomplish?  Ultimately it's got to be unsatisfying.  So the plan is to convince Thanos how unsatifying winning would be, then he'll decide on his own to reverse it.  I think Quill was playing a part. 

There's no way you can go back a year from now and explain all this in a satisfying way. "Remember that scene in that movie? They were really all pretending. Now let's rewind and see what *really* transpired." Nah.

9 hours ago, Gronzag said:

Maybe Captain Marvel was also 'deleted' by Thanos. Maybe that's how her solo movie ends... Who knows.

Nah, she has to get the page from Fury and then turn around to see whoever she was talking to before is gone. Probably in a post credit's sequence. Unless everyone who poofed was sucked into some kinda "soul realm" and she joins them and helps them escape or whatever, but I doubt it. 

Speaking of the idea that these people are stuck in the soul gem, I thought this interview was interesting now that we've seen the movie:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/avengers-infinity-war-cast-samuel-l-jackson-michael-douglas-michelle-pfeiffer-sebastian-stan-a8308906.html

"There was one scene, I think, we had where everybody was there. I can't really talk about that scene, but I knew it took them three months in planning this scene to have everyone there," he said. "You look around and you just saw everyone from Samuel L. Jackson to Michael Douglas to Michelle Pfeiffer. Everybody was there."

So now that we know Bucky and Fury are gone, could this be some kinda scene of all the people who dissolved? Pym probably wouldn't be around for a big end of movie battle scene, and I think a lot of us expect him and others to dissolve at the end of Ant-Man. Makes sense for Pfeiffer to dissolve too so she doesn't have to tag along for all of A4 and they don't have two Wasps in action at the same time. 

14 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Valkyrie is confirmed to be alive.

Hooray!

Hopefully Korg as well if half the Asgardian ship's occupants escaped.

With the field cleared a bit, one hopes Avengers 4 will focus on the original team (maybe as a last hurrah), with a bit of extra help on the way from Valkyrie and co.

40 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Hooray!

Hopefully Korg as well if half the Asgardian ship's occupants escaped.

With the field cleared a bit, one hopes Avengers 4 will focus on the original team (maybe as a last hurrah), with a bit of extra help on the way from Valkyrie and co.

I don't think Valkyrie is in Infinity War II either (the actress said she hasn't done any filming at all, I believe, but they could do some pick-ups with her I guess).

I think we can assume that everyone who survived Infinity War I plus the characters confirmed to appear from filming (Ant-Man, the original Wasp, Captain Marvel, Hawkeye, maybe Happy Hogan) will show up in Infinity War II. That's actually probably less characters that Infinity War I overall though.

If the Snappened have been sent to an alternate reality instead of dying, we could have two groups of Avengers: The Phase 4 crew: Strange, T'Challa, Peter, Bucky, Sam and Wanda learning to work together, and the old guard: Cap, Tony, Nat, Bruce, Rhodey and Thor relying on their established friendships to get things back to the way they were, with Clint, Scott and Hope's help.  Maybe Captain Marvel can bridge the gap between the two groups.

I also wonder if any of the Avengers will join the Guardians at the end of this phase (or even vice verser). 

I liked it. The Edinburgh deep-fried kebab sign got a laugh (I saw the film in Glasgow) though Edinburgh seemed unusually quiet.  

I felt it pissed over Thor Ragnorak a bit, by essentially wiping out the Asgardians.  Albeit they did say only half of them were killed, and unofficially the word seems to be that Valkyrie led half of them away before the ship was destroyed.

I did like how the Russos 'fixed' the timeline.  No more '8 years between Avengers and Civil War' bullshit - Stark dates Infinity War as 6 years after Avengers which makes sense.

The Guardians had a bigger role than I expected - I half-expected that they would turn up near the end to help the survivors of this film take the fight to Thanos in the next one.

Going to Wakanda was a bit iffy.  Rodgers essentially refuses to sacrifice Vision to save the universe, saying they don't trade lives.  But then he's happy to sacrifice the Wakandan army.

I did like Bucky picking up Rocket and spinning round firing.  And Quill competing with Thor.  

I expect the next film will reset everything time back to Thanon using the gauntlet.

Archived