Marvel Cinematic Universe 9: Returning to the Fold

Rhom

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Because he still made a crappy movie.

Surely that's a point in favour of getting him out of film-making and into politics instead? :D

Though if it meant putting Trump in charge of a new Star Wars trilogy, I'm not sure the trade would be worth it. :unsure:

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Because he still made a crappy movie. Even though I completely approve of the diversity he brought / continued with Star Wars the movie was poop, IMO. Even the trolls who hate Rian and Kathy as SJWs would have eventually forgot about it if he'd made a good movie. When you screw around with something for the sake of diversity, if you don't make a good product then you do actual harm to the drive for diversity.

Um, what? 

7 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

IMaybe Gunn has decided that he doesn't want to work for a company who will throw its people under a bus with every politically motivated attack. And so he's walking away with the millions he earned with GoTG and GoTG2 and will move on to better (but perhaps not bigger) things to work with people who aren't afraid of right wing trolls.

Whether or not he should have been fired, I think it's pretty indisputable that Gunn has handled this with class.

If I were him, even if you felt really sore about it, and even if your lawyers said you had a good chance of winning, no point in suing Disney.

Right now, he's actually emerged pretty unscathed (perhaps even with some credit with a large amount of people thinking he's been hard done by).

He can afford to walk away and he'll still get plenty of good work in the future. A really hard thing to do to hold back in what could be perceived to be a very unjust situation, yet he seems to have managed it.

I get the feeling the guardians films were very close to his heart so it's a shame he couldn't have finished the trilogy. Maybe they'll keep his screenplay but that would seem hypocritical of Disney.

The only issue is that Disney is a pretty big distributor to be blacklisted by. Warners might still take a punt but it's unlikely fox will as it merges with Disney.

His options are going to be abandoning big budget movies or moving to TV films via Netflix and Amazon. Bezos seems to be a SF geek so Amazon is a possibility.

While it's maybe not much of a creative stretch for Gunn a green lantern corps film still seems like an easy option.

8 hours ago, felice said:

Surely that's a point in favour of getting him out of film-making and into politics instead? :D

Though if it meant putting Trump in charge of a new Star Wars trilogy, I'm not sure the trade would be worth it. :unsure:

What are you talking about? It would be the best film ever in the history of film making, with the best people in it, and the best words. Believe me.

40 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

What are you talking about? It would be the best film ever in the history of film making, with the best people in it, and the best words. Believe me.

It would be utterly tremendous.  The yugest, most biglyest trilogy yet.  It would make millions and billions, and be utterly terrific.  The only way to keep on winning.  

OK, I'm done now :rolleyes:

Yeah, all those migrant children the Orange Enormity is holding hostage could totally be extras.  They could blow the dust off those Ewok costumes and suit'em up.  

Episode Whatever: 

"The Empire... It's not the empire any more...?  The First Order rescue the Ewoks from their shithole planet and give them tremendous, well paying jobs.  These are great jobs that are totally not like slave labor.  Totally not.  Great jobs, building a spectacular high rise hotel in Saud... Ah, 'On a Desert Planet'.  A desert planet, can you believe it?  It's on a desert planet and It's going to be tremendous!"

WRT Riann Johnson, I was making a comment about civil online discourse.  I wasn't really suggesting the guy should be president.

The Gunn situation reminds me of something I watched long long ago, Truly Tasteless Jokes. It was a hour long VHS that had 5-10 comedians on it performing tasteless jokes, you could never get away with these jokes now... So at one point a comic makes a pretty dark joke and the crowd starts booing him, his reply was something to the effect of    suck my ,..,  read the sign, Truly Tasteless Jokes...then the crowd started laughing and applauding again. 

Taken out of context his joke would have been a horrendous thing to say, but when you see the sign and know what you are supposed to be there for, it makes sense.

<3 James Gunn. Fucking Slither alone.

That havinging been said here are my thoughts on Avengers IV (speculative)

Untitled Avengers Movie
  -opening scene is longer version of the snap. more global scale. It takes Stark and Nebula almost two days to get back to earth in the Milano. Rocket signals them to Wakanda. 
  -Thor leaves after a brief conversation with rogers. (presumably to check on the other eight realms)
  -When the Milano lands Rocket is devestated to learn the other guardians are all dead and runs off. 
 -Stark and rogers shake hands. stark sees the metal arm on the table. 
 -shuri and m'baku have an uneasy alliance, but as it becomes clear this can't be undone, he leaves with his men after some harsh words. 
  -Shuri takes up the manlte of the black panther. her mother urges her to stay but she vows to avenge her brother. 
 -Nebula points out that even if they got the gaunlet, none of them are worthy of using it. Thor notes that the gauntlet was broken.
 -Stark suggests they just need one stone. the time stone. 
 -Wong warns them that the one time the time stone was used in this fashion and it splintered the universe into the multiverse. 

-The world is in dissarray, obviously. Nobody can reach hawkeye or ant-man and they are assumed to have been dusted.
 -Cap wants to "put out the fires" but stark argues that there are too many. too much damage to ever fix. He vows to undo it.
 -its revealeld that pepper survived but their unborn child did not.

-Cap leads a team of basically everyone who is left but Stark, rocket, banner and Wong to go after thanos on the milano. 
 -Nebula and Cap have a talk about "trading lives" (not in the freaky friday way)
 -they arrive and defeat a bunch of thano's nameless guards (chitari? they were in the last one in the gamora flashback) but then thanos says to let them in.
 -he's half-absorbed in the soul stone somehow. like an mmo addict. 
 -he's remorseful but also unwavering. knocks them aside and tells them he has no interest in violence. 
 -confirms that he destroyed the other infinity stones (to the extent that that is possible)
 -he asks nebula to remain with him, with the promise she will "see her again." nebula stays on the condition he let the other heros go. 
 -it's a long sad ride back to earth. 
  -conversation with cap about him accepting his situtaion post-freeze. 
   -he's trying to help these people accept the seemingly unacceptable. he leaves the room and breaks down at the sight of the metal arm.

-Scott lang wakes up on the back of the tardigride he's been living on. he'd tied himself to it so he could sleep without being killed by one. he starts a log entry to no one:
  "day five."
  -eventually he wanders too close to a time vortex. is about to be pulled in but it sucks one one his enlarging disks first. then he falls in.

Title card: eight years later
 -A lot has changed, but it is revealed slowly.
 -the attack on wakanda has sent the nation back into isolation. mbaku has taken over after the time jump and considers himself the black panther. does not have dat herb.
 -the raccoon is basically a criminal arms dealer on earth. frequently a menace to wakanda. stealing their tech and stuff. 

-Thor learns the kree are taking advantage of the chaos and invading worlds when they send him sif's head. 

-No one has seen Thanos in eight years. He's basically living in the soul stone with gamora and presumably nebula.

-Stark is a recluse who secretly works with shuri
 -Resccue - paltrow is Rescue because tony won't put on the armor again. but she only does it when there's a mine collapse or soccer team in a cave. 
  -nobody knows it's not tony. 
-Rodgers cap runs the avengers. hates be's called "captain america"
 -they do what they can.
  -War Machine - now kinda more deathlock than iron man. 
  -Spider-Man ("miles")
  -Black widow - Teaches at place too similar to the one she grew up in. At least the children are never forced to kill dogs. 
  -Stature/cassie - (in the unfinished suit from ant-man II) her and her dad's whole thing is heartbreaking. he missed eight years of her life, gets to know her and then basically has to undo it. 
    -("what if me dissapearing was the best thing that ever happened to her. what if I fuck her up.") 
     -Stark: In my experience that's kinda what a dad is. good stuff too though"). 
  - Clint turns up as Ronin after being thought dead. Lost his whole family when both pilots of the plane they were on (first vacation since house arrest) poofed. To say he's a changed man would be an understatement. 
  -Banner is official retired and somewhat shunned by the other avengers. it's implied that at one point he hit natasha and "didn't turn a shade of green." 
   -he does science, occasionally exchanged emails with stark. he's convinced it's impossible to undo and Stark is obsessed with undoing it.
   -privately he's been getting hammerd and exposing himselve to gamma waves to try to bring back the hulk. It's working. but hasn't snapped yet.

\

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Alcoholic Bruce Banner giving himself radiation poisoning is too dark for a Marvel movie.  Most of the stuff in there is too dark for a Marvel movie.

Probably! but it was fun to get stoned and think about. 

9 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Where's Captain Marvel?

That was actually why I gave up. She's clearly going to be important but I have no idea how to work her in. It would help to see her movie first. 

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

That was actually why I gave up. She's clearly going to be important but I have no idea how to work her in. It would help to see her movie first. 

At least you know Nick Fury used is super-beeper to alert her. I find it a bit odd that the super-beeper indicates Carol Danvers gets her powers while still on Earth, then she buggers off to hang out with the Kree for a couple of decades.

Unless someone can spot references to a super individual almost as powerful as Thor in past Marvel movies, the whole thing about Carol being known to be so powerful by Nick that he thinks beeping her while she's being dusted is going to help doesn't stack up. Maybe it's only him, Carol and Mar Vel who know how badass she is, and the decision to leave Earth is partly to get her away. Captain America was used as a political tool, and he was 0.01% of Captain Marvel's power. The political mis-use of Captain Marvel (basically a sentient WMD) could cause a huge amount of chaos in the world.

I presume Captain Marvel's non-appearance in all the MCU to date will be dealt with in her movie. As well as space adventures I'm not ruling out the possibility of time travel either; maybe she jumped forward in time to the present day and missed all the bits in between.

9 hours ago, Jeor said:

I presume Captain Marvel's non-appearance in all the MCU to date will be dealt with in her movie. As well as space adventures I'm not ruling out the possibility of time travel either; maybe she jumped forward in time to the present day and missed all the bits in between.

That would help explain how she hasn't really aged unless it's just a superpower.

Archived