Deadwood... the Film?

The BlackBear

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/07/can-hbo-give-deadwood-a-proper-ending/566321/

....Had Deadwood premiered in 2014 rather than 2004, at the beginnings of the “Peak TV” era, rather than the premium cable “golden age” of a decade prior, it never would have been canceled. Now even the most marginal hits are championed by their networks as centerpieces, and any show that garners Emmy attention is practically guaranteed to stay on the air. Big Little Lies was made as a miniseries and still got a renewal from HBO; the streaming network Netflix has renewed low-buzz shows like Altered Carbon and Ozark despite their mixed reviews.

Deadwood is rightly regarded as one of the greatest shows in TV history, along with HBO’s other totemic contributions The Sopranos and The Wire (which it aired alongside). But unlike those two dramas, it never got a proper conclusion, ending on a confused, if at times poignant, note. The death of one semimajor character played a big role in the inadvertent series finale, “Tell Him Something Pretty,” but so did the antics of a theater troupe that was entirely irrelevant to the larger plot. And though so many of Deadwood’s outstanding cast have gone on to other great opportunities, huge talents like McShane, McRaney, Timothy Olyphant, Paula Malcomson, and Robin Weigert couldn’t hope to top the depth and complexity of the roles Milch wrote for them....

Not exactly on topic but still, "Peak Television" has been invoked so often, yet it feels that peak tv has more than peaked in the last two years.  The announcements for new series seems to be exclusively for sequels, prequels, reboots and comix franchises.  Plus stand-up comedy shows and documentaries. Brilliant, original scripted drama seems over. 

8 hours ago, Zorral said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/07/can-hbo-give-deadwood-a-proper-ending/566321/

Not exactly on topic but still, "Peak Television" has been invoked so often, yet it feels that peak tv has more than peaked in the last two years.  The announcements for new series seems to be exclusively for sequels, prequels, reboots and comix franchises.  Plus stand-up comedy shows and documentaries. Brilliant, original scripted drama seems over. 

Brilliant original scripted drama is really hard to do. If one a year comes up I am shocked and surprised. In the meantime I watch second rate shows that show the occasional glimmer of brilliance. 

Very excited for this. I have to be honest though, I'm more in it for the fan service/nostalgia/curiosity than the notion that Deadwood needs a 'proper ending'.

My understanding is that Milch works a lot on feel and instinct, and he never had a particularly firm grasp on how Deadwood would go plot-wise in Season 4. I can't find a quote to back me up on that but someone might be able to help me out!

16 hours ago, Zorral said:

I think there's an argument for plateauing particularly with second seasons to a lot of shows failing to live up to the initial promise. But there's still a lot of great shows popping up (sharp objects) and consistently strong shows (breaking bad). We are getting more mutton dressed as lamb programming eg superhero shows masquerading as fine drama but I think many of those would have been considered as high tier programming 5+ years ago which attests to the quality out there. Increased Access and acceptance of non English shows is also helping keep things fresh.

7 hours ago, Paxter said:

Very excited for this. I have to be honest though, I'm more in it for the fan service/nostalgia/curiosity than the notion that Deadwood needs a 'proper ending'.

My understanding is that Milch works a lot on feel and instinct, and he never had a particularly firm grasp on how Deadwood would go plot-wise in Season 4. I can't find a quote to back me up on that but someone might be able to help me out!

Historically there was a fire in deadwood and milch was showing the seeds for that with the storyline of the guy wanting to create a fire service. Whether that was intended to happen in season 4 or the film I'm not sure though.

• 3 months later...
20 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Today I saw the list of the 12 returning actors to the Deadwood movie from the television series.  Kim Dickens is among them. 

http://collider.com/deadwood-movie-cast-synopsis/

It's becoming hard to believe that isn't another false start. It's going to be really weird watching this. I need to do a rewatch as it's been over a decade since I watched the show but the rub will be the difference in ages in the actors will be harder to ignore. I'm guessing not that nuch time will have passed in-story?

23 minutes ago, red snow said:

It's becoming hard to believe that isn't another false start. It's going to be really weird watching this. I need to do a rewatch as it's been over a decade since I watched the show but the rub will be the difference in ages in the actors will be harder to ignore. I'm guessing not that nuch time will have passed in-story?

About the same amount. The original series took place in 1876-77, the movie takes place in 1889.

34 minutes ago, Werthead said:

About the same amount. The original series took place in 1876-77, the movie takes place in 1889.

Yeah I read somewhere that South Dakota has achieved statehood as a larger political backdrop to the town's politics, machinations and violence.

Edit: woah.. wasn't expecting Hearst in this. It's also curious they didn't mention Dan or Johnny but maybe this list isn't comprehensive.

12 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Yeah I read somewhere that South Dakota has achieved statehood as a larger political backdrop to the town's politics, machinations and violence.

Edit: woah.. wasn't expecting Hearst in this. It's also curious they didn't mention Dan or Johnny but maybe list isn't comprehensive.

Apparently every living actor/character will be back, although some might only be very brief appearances (none of the deceased actors' roles will be recast). The sole exception is Titus Welliver's Silas, because he's in the middle of filming Bosch and there was no way he could make it out to the shoot and back again even for a day. Apparently they tried to make it work but nope.

• 1 month later...

Archived