US Politics: The American Messias, Greenland and attacks on Jews voting Democrats. Or as we call it Wednesday.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Thankfully, it looks like the worst of Dorian is passing between Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.  We just get to have fun early next week.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/174436.shtml?cone#contents

I do wonder how many Trump fans in the southeastern states are aware about their favorite president moving money from disaster relief/aid to the wall budget. ($270+ million, according to one story I read) If we get a rough hurricane season like the last few, I also wonder if there’ll be people spending extra weeks sleeping in a school gymnasium somewhere due to that, and whether they would care.

6 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

I do wonder how many Trump fans in the southeastern states are aware about their favorite president moving money from disaster relief/aid to the wall budget. ($270+ million, according to one story I read) If we get a rough hurricane season like the last few, I also wonder if there’ll be people spending extra weeks sleeping in a school gymnasium somewhere due to that, and whether they would care.

Sadly the Trumpanistas are fairly irrational in their devotion.

DHS bars Dem staffers from visiting border facilities after 'rude' and 'disruptive' behavior

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has barred Democratic staffers from the House Oversight Committee from visiting Customs and Border Protection (CBP) facilities at the U.S.-Mexico border as part of a planned trip this week after committee staff allegedly were “disruptive” and refused to follow instructions during their last trip, Fox News has learned.

So the Oversight Committee staff is literally barred from conducting oversight.  Great.

On March 8, 2011, Joclyn Krevat, an occupational therapist in New York, was sitting at her computer when she received a most unusual LinkedIn request. The wording was the familiar: “I’d like to add you to my professional network.” The sender was familiar, too, but not for the reason Krevat expected. It was from a debt collector.

What Happens When You Don’t Pay a Hospital Bill
As Americans sink under medical expenses, debt collectors go to great—and sometimes strange—lengths to collect.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/08/medical-bill-debt-collection/596914/

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

It's first time since 2017.

I wasn't counting the traditional interval before -- or is it -- after the Queen's Speech.  But I don't really know all that much about how this biz works -- other than the UK's totally, utterly, and completely screwed by Johnson and the Hackers and Putin, et al.  (Like we too are screwed by the same forces, with the help of Pelosia, et al.)

50 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

Thank god we have the strong leadership from Pelosi with her tough talk to Trump and her clapping. That really is stopping his fascist bullshit.

well then

Fake News!

48 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

Fake News!

Not really, unless you're one of those assholes that think a child by adoption isn't actually that persons child.

ETA: and reading the policy, suggests to me that it's the retraction that's wrong cause this

A U.S. citizen may have automatically acquired U.S. citizenship based on birth in the United States,7 but never actually resided in the United States. This U.S. citizen will not have established residence in the United States, and may be unable to transmit U.S. citizenship to his or her own children.

For example, if the U.S. citizen, still having never resided in the United States, subsequently marries another U.S. citizen who never resided in the United States, and they give birth to a child outside the United States, the child will not acquire citizenship at birth under INA 301(c) because neither U.S. citizen parent can show the requisite residence in the United States. However, if the U.S. citizen parent had returned to the United States after his or her birth and established residence before giving birth to the child outside the United States, then he or she may be able to meet the residence requirement based on that period of residence and transmit U.S. citizenship to his or her children.

makes no distinction between adoptions and not.

2 hours ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Dude, that money went to hurt brown foreigners. They'd sleep in a gym for a year if they could keep the pain going.

3 hours ago, Paladin of Ice said:

I'm sure the wall will be hurricane proof, so one can find shelter and relief from hurricanes under the US side of the wall.

Hurricanes always come from the south. Not only is South America sending you its murderers, rapists and drug traffickers, it's also sending you it's bad weather #Hurricanesgohome.

59 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I'm guessing it's a reference to the news that Gillibrand dropped out of the primary race.

Ya, her work was done.  She cleared Al Franken out of the way for both the Dems and bedbugs.

So Biden was pretty much normal/fine for his age and by his own standards a few weeks ago right?

Because degradation this fast feels more like how my mother's tumor first became apparent rather than dementia setting in. I hope he's had a MRI at least.

The Twitter account is obviously not a news channel but the video is a video of Biden.

4 hours ago, Frog Eater said:

Fake News!

Still stinks of evil xenophobia even if it only applies to adopted children.

3 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

Not really, unless you're one of those assholes that think a child by adoption isn't actually that persons child.

ETA: and reading the policy, suggests to me that it's the retraction that's wrong cause this

makes no distinction between adoptions and not.

I wonder how common that specific scenario is.

I have a kind of different situation in my family. My niece and nephew have US citizen parents. My niece and nephew were born outside the USA and have never lived in the USA. Both parents resided in the USA for a time before they got married, one was born in the USA, the other was born outside the USA. Do my niece and nephew qualify for US citizenship (they don't have US passports at the moment, they only have passports if their birth country)? I assume if they do, by the application of the policy you quoted any children they have can't qualify for US citizenship unless my niece and nephew reside for a time in the USA before they have children.

A little less similar with my kids, their mother is a US citizen who moved here in her teens. Do they qualify for US citizenship? They only have NZ citizenship at the moment.

Archived