Jump to content
Ramsay B.

Watch, Watched, Watching: Hunting Minds

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Is anyone watching the new series of Top Boy? I loved the earlier stuff but haven't had a chance to get into this yet.

Catching up on the old stuff first! I imagine I need to finish it before starting the new series?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Raja said:

Catching up on the old stuff first! I imagine I need to finish it before starting the new series?

If you've started I would. But I've forgotten pretty much all the old stuff and I would imagine most other people would have as well.  So the new one was probably filmed a little but with that in mind. X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

Your doppleganger in another timeline in the multiverse probably.

Or my 'double banger' as I saw it written recently. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched all 3 John Wick's over the weekend and enjoyed the 3rd one more on the small screen than the big one.  Also watched all 4 of the 'new' X Men movies and DofP is the only good one of the lot.  First class is passable, the last two are just not very good.  The last one doesn't have an ounce of continuity with dofp, which made the grim dark seem even more hopeless.  No wonder nobody wants to work on any more....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Is anyone watching the new series of Top Boy? I loved the earlier stuff but haven't had a chance to get into this yet. 

Also, new BBC Attenborough being advertised, I still havent started the Netflix one with the same filming crew. 

Yes I am about half way through it, I did have to go back and watch the original ones though as I forgot how things were left but there was quite a substantial time jump so I’d say you probably could watch the new one as a stand alone. 

 

Edited by Bittersweet Distractor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched Justice League today. It was ok but it seemed weird that they picked an incredible obscure villain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Unpopular opinion coming. Midsommar is overrated. Great cinematography and acting couldn’t save bad directing and a sub-par plot. I kind of feared that would be the case.

I can understand if it wasn’t your cup of tea, but there’s nothing wrong with the direction of that film. Ari Aster is hands down one of the best young directors working right now. I’ve seen it twice already (both cuts) and I can’t wait watch it again. I noticed things the second time that I missed on my initial viewing. Much like Hereditary, he put shots in that are very easy to miss. You have to watch the entire screen during one of his films. 

It also kind of amuses me when people give all the credit for “great performances” solely to the actors. We’ve all seen good actors give bad performances, and a lot of that is from actual lack of direction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to agree about Brad Pitt, I think he is an under appreciated actor because of his looks.

Starting my binge of Peaky Blinders tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

I can understand if it wasn’t your cup of tea, but there’s nothing wrong with the direction of that film. Ari Aster is hands down one of the best young directors working right now. I’ve seen it twice already (both cuts) and I can’t wait watch it again. I noticed things the second time that I missed on my initial viewing. Much like Hereditary, he put shots in that are very easy to miss. You have to watch the entire screen during one of his films. 

It also kind of amuses me when people give all the credit for “great performances” solely to the actors. We’ve all seen good actors give bad performances, and a lot of that is from actual lack of direction. 

Hmm, perhaps you are right. I guess my thing is I tend to blame the directing when the whole isn't greater than the sum of its parts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

One complaint I have about the film is that it went really light on his drug use. Dude did cocaine on the field during a game.

The whole thing seemed kind of vague. Although it was crazy how a whole country seemed to turn on him. 

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Unpopular opinion coming. Midsommar is overrated. Great cinematography and acting couldn’t save bad directing and a sub-par plot. I kind of feared that would be the case.

You’re a bad human. I’m gonna get that broom ready for tonight(baseball talk).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

The whole thing seemed kind of vague. Although it was crazy how a whole country seemed to turn on him. 

It wasn't his country though. He broke their hearts by beating them in the WC, and the city he played for was already disliked. I know he's still a good in Argentina though. I believe my host family had a picture of him next to their family pictures and the Pope. 

Quote

You’re a bad human. I’m gonna get that broom ready for tonight(baseball talk).

We broke Danny Dimes!!! 

 

ETA:

Jokes aside, I'm probably reacting like I did when I saw Skyfall. Heard people praise it for months only to be let down due to heightened expectations.

Edited by Tywin et al.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It wasn't his country though. He broke their hearts by beating them in the WC, and the city he played for was already disliked. I know he's still a good in Argentina though. I believe my host family had a picture of him next to their family pictures and the Pope. 

True. I kinda forget that he was in an Italian league, and how Naples was viewed by the rest of the country.

It is funny how even one of his league teammates said he never forgave Diego for the pk. Like he expected him to miss it on purpose, or something?

 

Danny Dimes didn’t look too bad considering the circumstances. No run game and your D-line manhandling our O-line. Although those 2 Shepard misses hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple episodes into Peaky Blinder new season and yep, there is the ever present scene of them walking through the industrial area to punk music with flames and sparks in the back ground! Wouldn't be a season of PB without it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

True. I kinda forget that he was in an Italian league, and how Naples was viewed by the rest of the country.

It is funny how even one of his league teammates said he never forgave Diego for the pk. Like he expected him to miss it on purpose, or something?

I think they expected him not to play. That game had no business being played in that city.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the second episode of Primal tonight. I love how Genndy uses no spoken dialogue for storytelling and the animation and art is top notch as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished Peaky Blinders S5 and liked it a lot more than S4. It seemed like a very short season and I wanted another episode or two so I guess they did a good job. One spoiler and one question in this:

Spoiler

So we are to assume that the other option that was mentioned between Micheal and Gina(?) was tipping off the crew about the assassination attempt, or do we assume that it was the guy who is helping to fix the sporting matches? The killing of Aberama Gold makes me want to think Polly had a hand in it, like she wanted to kill him off so she didn't have to marry him, but they also went after Arthur so....

I did have one question, in the Swan Lake episode, Gina(?) Gray mentions that Mosley is a Duke...I don't remember them mentioning or showing us that she knew who he was before that scene? How did she know him on sight and his rank/title? Did I miss something or was this a clue to who she really is? 

I kind of want to compare this to Sons of Anarchy, only in that they are criminals/gang who are trying to do some good, and it always gets messed up. This is a far superior show IMO, but I get that feel sometimes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm finally starting Peaky Blinders - season 1. The show has been on my watch list for a while. Watched the first episode last nigjht. I loved it, the show seems really interesting.

I've also started Fleabag and Barry, as a part of my resolution to watch more comedies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched Midsommar. I was a big fan of Hereditary so I had pretty high hopes for this one. And I really didn't like it a at all. The most horrifying moment in the movie happens within the first five-ish minutes and the rest of the movie is just not very scary or tense or even particularly unsettling. Mostly I just found everything really, really silly. The characters were flat and dull, and the plot was so predictable it was hard to become invested in any of them when it was so obvious what was going to happen. It just went way too hard on the foreshadowing and everything that happened was so clearly telegraphed long in advance. I would just have liked at least some surprises. It also probably didn't help that I couldn't keep myself from noticing how inauthentic the setting looked. It was clearly not shot where it was supposed to take place.

It's a good looking movie though. The cinematography, the visual design and the sound design are all very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also finished S5 of PB and was left wanting more. Don't want to mention any spoilers but I will add that Michael is such a backstabbing prick I've really come to dislike his character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been to cinema yesterday and watched "Hustlers" JLo winning an Oscar would be HILARIOUS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×