Watch, Watched, Watching: Those aren't pillows!

RedEyedGhost

Maybe, like the previous season of The New Pope, I'll watch it around Easter. It worked for me that time anyway at Easter season.

Right now, at this very moment, I'm rather beguiled by Netflix's Japanese / British policier / gangster series, 'Giri/Haji.  It's called ultra-violent, but I'm into ep 4, and it's not any more so violent than almost everything else, and rather less than much

It's not innovative or even spectacular, but it's solid in all the deliveries one wants. And interesting to look at in every fram.

But most of all it's got Kelly Macdonald! whom I love in everything, who seems to insist on being solidly Irish, no matter what role she's in, and here she's a London detective, who is an Irish Jew.  God, I love Kelly Macdonald!  Her character was far and way my favorite in Boardwalk Empire -- and whatever else I see her ever sinc

If Mindhunter was put on the shelf after S1 then I would’ve been way more sour about this. S2 was pretty underwhelming to me. 

I saw 1917 the other day and it was incredible. Very tense and I loved the ‘one-shot’ take style. Had no idea that was the Tommen actor either until after.

I finished a rewatch of Fargo S1. So damn good. Now onto Hanzee and S2. 

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

If Mindhunter was put on the shelf after S1 then I would’ve been way more sour about this. S2 was pretty underwhelming to me. 

Same.

Been watching season 1 of Hanna on Amazon Prime.  It's alright...

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Maybe, like the previous season of The New Pope, I'll watch it around Easter. It worked for me that time anyway at Easter season.

Right now, at this very moment, I'm rather beguiled by Netflix's Japanese / British policier / gangster series, 'Giri/Haji.  It's called ultra-violent, but I'm into ep 4, and it's not any more so violent than almost everything else, and rather less than much

It's not innovative or even spectacular, but it's solid in all the deliveries one wants. And interesting to look at in every fram.

But most of all it's got Kelly Macdonald! whom I love in everything, who seems to insist on being solidly Irish, no matter what role she's in, and here she's a London detective, who is an Irish Jew.  God, I love Kelly Macdonald!  Her character was far and way my favorite in Boardwalk Empire -- and whatever else I see her ever sinc

Have you seen "the victim"? It has arguably her strongest performance.

Really looking forward to what she brings to "line of duty". Assuming she lasts more than a couple of episodes given that show's reputation.

Mindhunter being cancelled makes me really worried for any show on Netflix unless it's a creator decision which does seem to be the case with Fincher working on a film. 

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

I'm at about the same episode as you.  So far so good. The story isn't fascinating, (some parts are ridiculous) but the acting is quite good. 

I finished Spartacus: Vengeance.  Holy body count! Unfortunately only one more season remains. I'm anxious to see where the story goes after this last season finale.

I'm pissed off about Mindhunter. People lap up shit like love island but something intelligent and thought provoking just can't get an audience. For shame.

Watched a Friday night special called The Foreigner last night. It's reasonably entertaining. Features Jackie Chan as a 'sullen restaurateur' (from the blurb) but I'd describe him more accurately as a grieving father who is fixated on getting justice for a terrorist attack. On the flip side you have Pierce Brosnan playing an ex IRA, now politician who is instructed to deal with the terrorists. 

Now, I was going to make a comment about Brosnan's questionable Northern Ireland accent but it would probably be lost on people who can't tell the difference between Irish and Scottish accents. 

5 minutes ago, Isis said:

I'm pissed off about Mindhunter. People lap up shit like love island but something intelligent and thought provoking just can't get an audience. For shame.

This is the sad truth and it used to make me really angry. But these days I'm pretty chill about it. Some shows are meant to be consumed and require work and patience, and some are just mindless fluff to distract you when you don't feel like having to think about anything. I can see how there is space for both.

On the other hand I'm also much more cautious about what I wish for. Just because I get more of something I like doesn't mean it's going to be good. I'm maybe happier with 2 good seasons of Mindhunter and a sense of what could have been, than being disappointed with a drop in quality.

Can only speak for myself but Mindhunter's poor writing kept me away from watching season 2. The show looked great and had some tense moments but when the writing is bad & predictable it is hard to stay with the show.

5 minutes ago, Raja said:

Can only speak for myself but Mindhunter's poor writing kept me away from watching season 2. The show looked great and had some tense moments but when the writing is bad & predictable it is hard to stay with the show.

S2 was weaker than S1 in some ways but it was still very good. It asked some very important questions about the people who do this type of work and how they cope with the rest of their lives. I discussed this in the thread I think. These are genuine and serious themes which I (and I assume others who do work of a similarly necessary yet unpleasant nature) are interested in. 

2 hours ago, Isis said:

These are genuine and serious themes which I (and I assume others who do work of a similarly necessary yet unpleasant nature) are interested in. 

Sure - I never argued that the themes & the genre wasn't something I was interested in or is something that shouldn't be explored. I just found the characters to be caricatures & a little cliched, the bad writing hurt them the most, imo and rendered them entirely forgettable. It's why I never went back for season 2.

Some of the interviews were very good, but not enough to bring me back.

I watched The Brothers Bloom, which I thought was entertaining although I think Rian Johnson has directed better films. I remember someone saying when discussing Knives Out that it felt like Johnson really wanted to be Wes Anderson, and I think this film feels even more Wes Anderson-y. The convoluted con artists plots are fun, although one difference to Knives Out is that while both are far-fetched, I think this film frequently abandons any attempt at plausibility. I feel that maybe Adrien Brody was a bit miscast as one of the two con artists, he's just a bit too bland, I think Mark Ruffalo and Rachel Weisz put in better performances.

Caught up to Sex Education, finishing Season 1 just in time for the new season dropping. It really is a brilliant show, equal parts hilarious and moving. I was very impressed with the way the variousn”teen” problems were handled, being portrayed in the OTT/exaggerated way that is pretty accurate at secondary school and sixth form while still being treated with the seriousness they deserve. One of the highlights was the episode where the clinic issue was dealing with the circulation of a genital pic, and i thought that was really well done.

Best part for me though? Eric and everything related to him. I cried, i laughed, i cheered. Fantastic stuff, especially with his father.

Cannot wait to start season two tomorrow. I am hoping that a few of the more superficial characters (Anwar and his possé for example) get a bit more focus

Have watched more of Giri-Duty/Haji-Shame.  I said it wasn't particularly innovative, but still, it is using graphic novel style illustration animation, in connection with split screen and shots through small apertures creatively. So maybe I'm wrong about that. 

Also as we roll along the violence does escalate. But one never takes it seriously due to the stylization -- see animation -- and the ticked off boxes to have included all the right elements, from gay rent boys to young Japanese girl discovering lesbian or at least bi tendencies, etc.

However, there is a prolonged violent scene of many people shooting at each other in a wine cellar beneath a club-restaurant.  Hundreds and hundreds of racked wine bottles, and just one got hit by one of the hundreds of flying bullets? And maybe I just imagined there was a gush of wine and maybe none of the bottles got hit.  I ain't buying this, not for a moment. :rolleyes:

Archived