Watch, Watched, Watching: Easter Edition

ithanos

Was interested in Gangs of London but doesn’t seem to appear on my HBOGo, despite being Cinemax, so unlikely to catch that by legitimate means.

Finished Devs which was very good in many ways but still had a mixed reaction, must post in the Devs thread. Might try Legion next.

I finished The Americans over the last week. Damn good series and I am glad I started watching it now. The acting is really good, the music is as good as any series. The plot lines don't get too far out there considering it's a spy show. It's a series that ended well. It wasn't a fairy tale ending and that makes sense.

Spoiler

Any chance they try to reboot it with Paige and Tuan as the leads? I don't think she has the screen presence to carry a show but who knows?

Also watch Extraction...ehh. I went into it thinking it was going to be a little better of a movie and not 100% action so I wasn't too happy with it. If you go into it knowing it's just a shoot em up then you will be happier. This is one I would have liked more at the cinema with my tub of popcorn on a huge screen.

ETA: After I finished The Americans the auto play went to The Wire! But, I am going to do The Sopranos instead. I have never seen it in order, only caught episodes here and there.

I liked Extraction for what it was. I’ve seen a few complaints that it’s a really tired plot and the characters are cookie cutter. Yeah can’t disagree.

But it’s a movie on Netflix I actually managed to watch all of. So that says something.

Main attraction is the action, the fights are well choreographed, as you’d expect considering who made the movie. Like the good Marvel movies fights are used to tell a narrative and there is always a ton of invention each time. 

If I had one complaint it was that the CGI wasn’t good due to lack of budget and you really see the joins when they are pretending to do one shots, especially if they do it with a computer generated movement 

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

I finished The Americans over the last week. Damn good series and I am glad I started watching it now. The acting is really good, the music is as good as any series. The plot lines don't get too far out there considering it's a spy show. It's a series that ended well. It wasn't a fairy tale ending and that makes sense.

Hide contents

Any chance they try to reboot it with Paige and Tuan as the leads? I don't think she has the screen presence to carry a show but who knows?

Also watch Extraction...ehh. I went into it thinking it was going to be a little better of a movie and not 100% action so I wasn't too happy with it. If you go into it knowing it's just a shoot em up then you will be happier. This is one I would have liked more at the cinema with my tub of popcorn on a huge screen.

ETA: After I finished The Americans the auto play went to The Wire! But, I am going to do The Sopranos instead. I have never seen it in order, only caught episodes here and there.

I hope they don’t reboot it as I thought the ending was perfect. The train scene with U2 playing in the background just completely devastated me, i still get a bit choked up when I hear that song now!

9 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I hope they don’t reboot it as I thought the ending was perfect. The train scene with U2 playing in the background just completely devastated me, i still get a bit choked up when I hear that song now!

I tend to agree. When a show is done well, leave it be and move on. Couldn't get that song out of my head last night, and the Elton John one, Yellow brick road. 

Spoiler

I also liked the final shot of Paige sitting in the safe house all alone, after saying that being all alone was the one thing she feared. Hell really all the final shots. Stan staring at her while she is sleeping, now forever having to wonder about her. Then the Jennings staring out over what I assume was Moscow, some place they really don't know anything about. Oleg sitting in his cell.

Like you said, a really good show that stuck the landing.

30 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Yeah, I will forever associate that song with The Americans, now. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've decided to do a full rewatch of season one of Rome, and then I'll finally get around to actually watching all of the second season.

Just finished my Spartacus and Rome rewatches - now watching the rather barmy Britannia (Roman invasion of Britain).

Also almost finished my DCEU rewatch m. Was my first time watching Shazam. Will watch Birds of Prey over the next few days.

7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I think it's one of the best finales of any show I've seen so I agree with you that I wouldn't want anything to mess that up.

Spoiler

Given how the show ended her plotline I don't see any way Paige would end up working for the Russians again. I don't know what would happen to her after we last see her but I don't see any chance of her taking up the family trade.

8 hours ago, dbunting said:

I tend to agree. When a show is done well, leave it be and move on. Couldn't get that song out of my head last night, and the Elton John one, Yellow brick road. 

Reveal hidden contents

I also liked the final shot of Paige sitting in the safe house all alone, after saying that being all alone was the one thing she feared. Hell really all the final shots. Stan staring at her while she is sleeping, now forever having to wonder about her. Then the Jennings staring out over what I assume was Moscow, some place they really don't know anything about. Oleg sitting in his cell.

Like you said, a really good show that stuck the landing.

Well enjoy getting it stuck there again :P 

8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Yeah, I will forever associate that song with The Americans, now. 

Definitely a show that made excellent music choices, I often found myself adding to my playlist after an episode. 

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

I think it's one of the best finales of any show I've seen so I agree with you that I wouldn't want anything to mess that up.

Reveal hidden contents

Given how the show ended her plotline I don't see any way Paige would end up working for the Russians again. I don't know what would happen to her after we last see her but I don't see any chance of her taking up the family trade.

A reboot would also suffer from taking place in a very different era, assuming you followed the same characters and not some other “American” family (which, please no). And it would likely be far less entertaining. I mean watching someone sabotaging elections and stealing data from behind a computer screen isn’t nearly as entertaining or dramatic as what the Americans brought us.

You’d also lose the star and heart of the show, perhaps the main character(s)... 

I am talking about those wigs of course.

I'm fine with The Americans not booting up another series.  It's one of my favorites and I wouldn't wanna see it tarnished. I don't know if this is a controversial pick, maybe more of a reach, if anything, but The Americans cracks my top 5 favorite tv shows. Wouldn't have it any higher than 5, but it's just behind The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire, and Boardwalk Empire for me. 

18 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

I'm fine with The Americans not booting up another series.  It's one of my favorites and I wouldn't wanna see it tarnished. I don't know if this is a controversial pick, maybe more of a reach, if anything, but The Americans cracks my top 5 favorite tv shows. Wouldn't have it any higher than 5, but it's just behind The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire, and Boardwalk Empire for me. 

Never watched Deadwood? 

24 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

I always thought that a sequel centering on Paige would be terrific... if my math is right, (and it rarely is) she'd be about 50 now?... and with Russia interference in our elections so prevalent in the news, it would be a compelling story... perhaps Henry could be the FBI agent tasked with finding her?... it would be easy to see them both having taken those paths...

.... anyway, my 2 cents...

3 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

I always thought that a sequel centering on Paige would be terrific... if my math is right, (and it rarely is) she'd be about 50 now?... and with Russia interference in our elections so prevalent in the news, it would be a compelling story... perhaps Henry could be the FBI agent tasked with finding her?... it would be easy to see them both having taken those paths...

.... anyway, my 2 cents...

Maybe a miniseries? I just don't have enough faith that anyone would want to make that show or actually be able to pull it off well enough to do the original proud.

1 minute ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Maybe a miniseries? I just don't have enough faith that anyone would want to make that show or actually be able to pull it off well enough to do the original proud.

I totally hear you... with the exception of Better Call Saul, few prequels/sequels do anything other than to cheapen the original... perhaps if the Paige sequel had the same creator/showrunner it might stand a chance... but you're right... most of these ideas sound good on paper, and suck balls by the 10 minute mark of the pilot

Archived