US Politics 46 - And there was much rejoicing

Which Tyler

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

Thanks! Couldn’t for the life of me remember Pine Knob!

No problem. Saw.a bunch of shows there (not Winwood). It's not the best venue acoustic wise or sight lines but tickets are usually reasonable and it looks cool at night. I saw Soungarden twice there for their superunkown your and the 20th anniversary tour for that album(which was the last.show I saw there).

14 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Is Trump really going to try for the “Golden Parachute” hes been given to leave other Jobs?

Nah, best guess would be that he will be trying for some kind of “investigation of voting irregularities” that will be a nothingburger. But if Biden refuses, Donny Dingus can claim that they are covering up fraud, and if they do the investigation, they will probably find some shoddy Trump loyalist planted nonsense that he can point to as fraud.  Basically, to create some sort of shitty semi-story he can use for the rest of his life to keep peddling the lie he really won.

2 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Come on Fox News, its legal now

Translation: All Democrats are violent Antifa rioters but if they're not, it's only because they're also druggies and happen to be high at the moment.

31 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

Translation: All Democrats are violent Antifa rioters but if they're not, it's only because they're also druggies and happen to be high at the moment.

To be fair, it's tough to riot when high.  Unless you're looting a 7/11 for some Cool Ranch Doritos.

1 hour ago, JEORDHl said:

Certain conditions? Bitch, please.

If no one wants to do it, I'll personally roll Don out like a wad of cookie dough. No schwedd off my balls.

Hey, a negotiation to leave was part of my prediction in the other thread. Not sure we can trust Rick Santorum is actually speaking on Trump's behalf though.

And yeah, that is ludicrous if he's saying that. He has no leverage. He's getting fired and evicted, like a lot of people in 2020.

7 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

The Lincoln Project is most assuredly NOT joining Dems in the long haul.  They saw an opportunity to make a buck and took it.  These people are not your friends or mine, and they will fuck you over the first chance they get.  

Ok, that was poorly phrased on my part.

What I mean this.

The Lincoln Porject/RVAT whatever, they have joined up with the Democrats this cycle to take back their party from that right wing populism/fascism takeover, they have witnessed over the years and which culminated in Trump and his administration - whether the GOP was that Grand or if it's mere nostalgia on their part is another discussion, and the respone will in no small part depend where you are politically. Now then, I am willing to take them at their word about their goals. However, giving the rather strong result Trumpsim yielded, I don't think they are any closer to recapture their party (check above). Thus they will be stuck with the Democrats for at least one more cycle. Furthermore I used them as those college educated suburban voters, who used to break for the GOP. That voting group will be decissive for the Democrats going forward.

On the state legislature coup thing... surely it is only Arizona and Georgia that are the worries, since the Pennsylvania Governor would veto a change to state law?

Anyway: I think people are overlooking how... interesting... the next two months will be. Trump has the capacity to do a fair bit of deliberate sabotage before he leaves. 

Jared Kushner has approached President Trump about conceding the election

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-biden-election-results-11-07-20/h_adcde55c4ca567e67fe63f5ba0847b24

Jared Kushner, President Donald Trump's son-in-law and senior adviser, has approached the President about conceding the election, two sources tell CNN.

The move comes following Trump's assertion in a statement from his campaign -- moments after CNN projected that President-elect Joe Biden will become the 46th president of the United States -- that Biden is “rushing to falsely pose as the winner” and that the race is “far from over."

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Is Trump really going to try for the “Golden Parachute” hes been given to leave other Jobs?

More like Golden Ticket is my guess. Basically trying to get Biden to agree to pardon him (and his family Klan) for any crimes he may have comitted. That's at least my guess. Like I said before, if Biden pardons him, or Junior, it would be outrageous.

21 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

More like Golden Ticket is my guess. Basically trying to get Biden to agree to pardon him (and his family Klan) for any crimes he may have comitted. That's at least my guess. Like I said before, if Biden pardons him, or Junior, it would be outrageous.

Can't he pardon himself over the next couple of months?

23 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Nah. Pardon himself, and hope the Supreme Court buys it.

5 minutes ago, Castellan said:

Can't he pardon himself over the next couple of months?

Questionable, I think. Our resident legal/history scholars mentioned there being a legal opinion from Nixon era, in which the AG argued No, that would put the President above the law. And could he pardon himself for crimes he's not even charged with, yet? That's the other question attached to it.

Again, our resident lawyers can chime in and argue about it.

Would he do it? Yes, it's not like he has shown much regard to the rule of law or avoiding constitutional crisis during the past four years. But that seems to be legally less safe than Biden doing it.

6 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

All of that is great, but it sounded like you’d not support/stay home in 2024 if Harris turned out to be not progressive enough for your liking.

That’s how the Republicans win. 

The Republicans also win when the left-left doesn't engage or make their voices heard and therefore the center-left is free to purely appeal to the center-right who themselves are appealing to the right-right so you've gotta call them out and you've gotta find the line. Vote for her if and when she's the actual candidate, sure, but you gotta keep them on their toes too.

19 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Questionable, I think. Our resident legal/history scholars mentioned there being a legal opinion from Nixon era, in which the AG argued No, that would put the President above the law. And could he pardon himself for crimes he's not even charged with, yet? That's the other question attached to it.

Again, our resident lawyers can chime in and argue about it.

Would he do it? Yes, it's not like he has shown much regard to the rule of law or avoiding constitutional crisis during the past four years. But that seems to be legally less safe than Biden doing it.

In order to pardon himself wouldn't he have to be charged with something? Which would in effect require admitting to all the shit he did because he would be directing his DOJ to indict him.

Do I not understand what a pardon is?

1 minute ago, TrueMetis said:

In order to pardon himself wouldn't he have to be charged with something? Which would in effect require admitting to all the shit he did because he would be directing his DOJ to indict him.

been covered a few times here.  Trump, like Nixon, could be pardoned for crimes he *might* have committed.  

my take, being Trump, he'll pardon himself for all past, possible, and future crimes at both the state and federal level (operating on the imperial presidency notion) blatantly ignoring any legal objections. 

3 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

been covered a few times here.  Trump, like Nixon, could be pardoned for crimes he *might* have committed. 

... That seems like a terrible idea. What's the rational for letting someone off for a crime when you don't even know what the crimes were?

2 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

my take, being Trump, he'll pardon himself for all past, possible, and future crimes at both the state and federal level (operating on the imperial presidency notion) blatantly ignoring any legal objections. 

Someone surely can't be pardoned for future crimes. They can possibly be pardon for past crimes that have not yet surfaced, so pardoned from future indictments on crimes committed prior to his pardon.

Archived