Covid-19 #37: Mississippi Worming

Fragile Bird

Your wish is my command. 

I believe it was mentioned earlier, but Delta Airlines added an extra $200 a month for insurance for their unvaccinated employees.

One of my coworkers saw this and what was her immediate response?

”What happened to freedom in this country?”

:bang:

13 hours ago, felice said:

How many of the new cases are members of the same households as existing cases? Delta seems to pretty much guarantee that if someone in a household catches it, so will everyone else. And there are very few post-lockdown locations of interest.

The trouble is, there are new locations of interests, which means these new cases have been out and about while they might have been infected. And we have people working in essential services that have tested positive.

36 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Your wish is my command. 

I believe it was mentioned earlier, but Delta Airlines added an extra $200 a month for insurance for their unvaccinated employees.

One of my coworkers saw this and what was her immediate response?

”What happened to freedom in this country?”

:bang:

Very unfortunate company name, these days. But very fun to come up with slogans.

Fly (for) Delta to reach new destinations.

Spread the News Fly Delta.

7 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Very unfortunate company name, these days. But very fun to come up with slogans.

Fly (for) Delta to reach new destinations.

Spread the News Fly Delta.

Ha. I wasn’t even thinking about the same name as the variant thing.

Though I do think Delta (the airline) sucks. They cost me a whole day in Egypt because of delayed flights.

Hell. That was 17 years ago now. 

Never forgive!

How embarrassed would you be to find out your child was going to college and acting like the idiotic student in this story?

https://www.newsweek.com/88-year-old-professor-resigns-mid-class-when-student-refuses-wear-mask-1623919

Eta: The press should've named the student. Actions that endanger others should have consequences.

82 cases in Auckland today, the same as yesterday. This is the first day there hasn't been a day on day increase in Auckland. A glimmer of hope that the peak has been reached.

Our govt agency that administers drug registration and regulation, MEDSAFE, has adverse reaction reports. It's most recently published report on 7 August reported that out of 2.2 million doses administered, there have been 8,770 non-serious adverse reactions reported and 385 serious adverse reaction reported. In terms of deaths

Up to and including 7 August 2021, a total of 26 deaths were reported to CARM after the administration of the vaccine. Following medical assessments by CARM and Medsafe it has been determined that:

• 17 of these deaths are unlikely related to the COVID-19 vaccine
  • 4 deaths could not be assessed due to insufficient information
  • 5 cases are still under investigation.

So no confirmed deaths due to the vaccine, yet. Given we have had a total of 3380 COVID-19 cases since the beginning of the pandemic, and 26 deaths (interesting it's the same number as post-vaccination deaths, for now), even if all 26 deaths were caused by the vaccine that's still 650 times less likely to die than if you get the disease. But since it's maybe only 9 deaths at worst the safety is even greater than that.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

82 cases in Auckland today, the same as yesterday. This is the first day there hasn't been a day on day increase in Auckland. A glimmer of hope that the peak has been reached.

The other day I saw a Jacinda Arden showing a map with the distribution of the cases. There were spread out all over the northern island. This makes this outbreak more difficult to control. The government is threatening with tougher measures. I hope they also come with support for the most vulnerable, which is an aspect that has been neglected during these measures and in the end making them fail.

On 8/27/2021 at 8:42 PM, Fragile Bird said:

The mRNA vaccines are built around a spike, is there a vaccine that uses more than just a spike, one of the non-mRNA ones? Could they possibly work better long term?

As others said. There are inactivated virus vaccines. The Chinese vaccines for example (Sinovac and Sinopharm) but they are less effective than mRNA/Vector vaccines. I don't think there are studies comparing the long term protection of them. In the case of mRNA vaccines (particularly Pfizer) the studies are more complete and while the decline of the protection is partially explained by the drop of antibodies there is another important aspect that basically the B-cells, etc stop maturing after a point in comparison to the infection.

Other countries are also producing such vaccine. India has the Covaxin and they claim is actually quite good against Delta (https://www.medindia.net/news/covaxin-shows-high-efficacy-against-delta-plus-variant-202567-1.htm) putting the reason partially on a novel licensed adjuvant.

On 8/27/2021 at 9:31 PM, Zorral said:

The Cuban one -- made for alpha -- isn't working against delta.  Yet another reason that for the first time ever the majority of Cubans have lost faith in the government and the Revolution and no longer support it -- as have so many of we long-time supporters in other countries.  

The price of hubris. The Russian and Chinese both offered very favorable terms to Cuba to co-produce their vaccines, something that Cuba has spare capacity to, and they rejected the offer.

Now, to be honest. All vaccines are having some trouble with Delta. My pet theory is because intramuscular vaccines do not induce a strong immune response in the upper respiratory track and Delta is able to reproduce like crazy there before being crushed by the immune system. This makes the the need for intranasal vaccines quite urgent.

1 hour ago, rotting sea cow said:

The other day I saw a Jacinda Arden showing a map with the distribution of the cases. There were spread out all over the northern island. This makes this outbreak more difficult to control. The government is threatening with tougher measures. I hope they also come with support for the most vulnerable, which is an aspect that has been neglected during these measures and in the end making them fail.

The cases themselves have been confined to Auckland (plus a handful in Wellington), What you were seeing was a map of locations of interest - essentially places where the authorities felt they needed to follow up.

I am still optimistic about this being flushed out of Auckland (key point - it hasn't spread, and we know where the outbreaks are). It just might take a while.

On 8/26/2021 at 10:04 PM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Glad to hear it. Unlike BionTech/Pfizer with Moderna the first jab is supposedly the nasty one. As stated above, based on my experience I can't confirm that, but that's what I've been told. So the second round will hopefully be smooth sailing for you.

I also wonder, whether @Theda Baratheon had her sense of taste returned and thus (as some sorta cruel punishment by the gods) can now fully enjoy the all the flavours of the British cuisine - both salt and vinegar - again.

24 hours post second jab and feel completely fine so let's hope this continues!

6 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

Wrong map. There were 2 maps with dots on them. One map only had dots in the North Islands. Those were locations where a Wellington bound driver stopped off for a pees, to buy gas, and get food. So those were places where that person may have spread the virus if they were infectious at the time. turns out they weren't, given no cases have arisen in those locations. The other map has dots across both Islands. Those dots represent people who were in Auckland or Coromandel locations where infected people were prior to the lockdown and then went home at some point before or within 48 hrs of the lockdown kicking in. Those people were all self-isolating and getting tested for 14 days. Those dots should have all but disappeared from everywhere outside of Auckalnd and Wellington by day 14 of the lockdown (this coming Tuesday). That is why Tuesday is the day the whole country other than Auckalnd and points north will be moving to level 3 lockdown. Because there will be no more people self-isolating from an Auckland or Coromandel event anywhere other than Auckland and Wellington.

I dunno about Wellington going to level 3. I think that's a bit dicey even though case numbers are very low. Rest of the country though, could easily go to level 2 (no longer a lockdown), if not Tuesday then at the end of the week.

The rapid increase in cases everywhere has made me take a closer look at my own city, Toronto, to see what the current vaccination situation is. My cohort, 65-69, shows 84.2% with one shot, 80.8% fully vaccinated. The worst numbers are in the 35-39, 40-44 and 45-49 age groups, averaging only 76.5% with one shot and 71% with two. The five year brackets on either side are only moderately better, 30-34 at 79.6% and 72.3%, and 50-54 at 78.7% and 74%.

All other age groups are over 80% with one shot, except, strangely, the 80+ group, at 77% and 74%. I don't know if those people just don't give a damn or what. The Canadian National figure, from Statistics Canada, for those over 80 is 95% with one shot and 92.5% fully vaccinated, so I have no idea what the heck is going on. I do know that other provinces have very high numbers of seniors in old age homes (Quebec has the highest number) and perhaps the vaccination efforts in those facilities account for it.

The most astonishing number is the age 18-24: 98.8% of the people in that age group have their first shot, and 85% are fully vaccinated. The group right before them, 25-29, are at 90.8% and 80.9%. The 12-17 group comes in at 81% and 70%, I sure hope a lot more get vaccinated this week, with school starting after Labour Day, in 9 days.

The overall number for Toronto as of Aug. 23, when the report was updated, is 73.4% of the population has had their first shot and 67.6% are fully vaccinated. Tomorrow will see the next update. The province of Ontario as a whole is at 73.3% of the population with one shot and 67.5% fully vaccinated, slightly above Canada as a whole.

17 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Ha. I wasn’t even thinking about the same name as the variant thing.

Though I do think Delta (the airline) sucks.

I saw somewhere it was pointed out that in their communications about it Delta seemed to be keen to refer to it as the 1.617.2 variant.

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

The most astonishing number is the age 18-24: 98.8% of the people in that age group have their first shot, and 85% are fully vaccinated. The group right before them, 25-29, are at 90.8% and 80.9%. The 12-17 group comes in at 81% and 70%, I sure hope a lot more get vaccinated this week, with school starting after Labour Day, in 9 days.

Outstanding, that's what we can proudly call EXCELLENCE IN YOUTH!

6 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I dunno about Wellington going to level 3. I think that's a bit dicey even though case numbers are very low.

Not just low, but as I understand it they're all known close contacts who were already isolating before being diagnosed. The last Wellington location of interest was 10 days ago, ie there's been no known opportunity for community spread since then.

49 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Would anyone go to the Minnesota State Fair under ANY conditions??? Ugh. 

I mean this with all sincerity, I hope the zombie apocalypse first breaks out in Atlanta.

On another note - does anyone think that perhaps it was a bit of a mistake for the media to initially run with “covid only kills old people” or “omg, it’s the disadvantaged people who are dying?”

Because that has very much fed into the Pumpkin’s high school frenz’s vaccine reluctance. Apparently, white GA Tech frat bros won’t die from covid, or become disabled, because it only affects old people, black and brown people, and obese people. This is seriously what they think.

Their kids have had everything from the MMR shot to the chickenpox shot, so they aren’t anti-vaxxers. They just think that covid won’t affect THEM because of the existing / prior media narrative. And laziness.

They should have just told young men getting the shot would add an inch between the legs and make them last longer. But then I guess these same bros would have hogged all the shots, so you win some, you lose some.

Archived