Videogames: New Year, New Thread

Poobah

Being just too tired and brain fogged from long hours at work this week, I've taken up exploring a game that's long sat on my To Try Out list: Dungeon Siege. Several modders have made some HD textures available, which have spruced up the game a bit as well. After a few hours of playing, I find myself thinking that it feels very much like a streamlined version of Neverwinter Nights. But definitely a fun way to downtime when the brain is too stuffed and tired to process a meaningful or remotely complicated narrative.

They're releasing Chrono Cross on switch/xbox/playstation! Such a great game that got ....I guess not unfairly compared to Chrono Trigger. It's one of those "horrible sequel but good on it's own" things. 

Dungeon Siege was such a wonderful game. Always wished they managed to make it somehow more grindy/repeatable a la Diablo and all the other loot-grind ARPGs I've played throughout their existence. I need to check that HD reskinning out!

Alas I am going *hard* on Path of Exile right now for the first league start I've properly invested far too much time in since Heist. Although the specific league mechanic absolutely blows and I've gone so far as to temporarily hide its drops until I give a shit, the general revamp of endgame mechanics is amazing for players like me that want to stretch the league out over a few months. There's just so much to do that I feel like I can achieve on my own time now. Best expansion in years.

6 hours ago, RumHam said:

They're releasing Chrono Cross on switch/xbox/playstation! Such a great game that got ....I guess not unfairly compared to Chrono Trigger. It's one of those "horrible sequel but good on it's own" things. 

I'm a little disappointed we still haven't got some kind of actual Chrono Trigger version ported, though I suppose it's not completely unlikely there's a full remake in the works. I only played the 3DS version and it's great but for a couple reasons I never quite finished it.

Still, will obviously give Chrono Cross a try.

I'd never heard of Live A Live but that's just been announced for a remake and first-ever release outside of Japan, so that could be interesting.

Was an odd Direct- pretty solid, but sadly since I've not played Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2 the big announcement of 3 isn't that relevant to me. 48 new Mario Kart tracks coming is a lot to the point you wonder why they didn't just make MK9 but hey, not gonna argue. Switch Sports is gonna sell like hotcakes but isn't particularly relevant to my interests either. 

Kirby looks great though, increasingly looking forward to that. 

12 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

48 new Mario Kart tracks coming is a lot to the point you wonder why they didn't just make MK9 but hey, not gonna argue.

I actually think this is awesome. Like it's always been a kinda insane that multiplayer games like Mario Kart, Call of Duty, Halo, etc. didn't build a library of maps where each new title adds to the pool. 

I love that instead of releasing Mario Kart 9 or Mario Kart Anniversary they are just selling us the courses. 

3 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Dungeon Siege was such a wonderful game. Always wished they managed to make it somehow more grindy/repeatable a la Diablo and all the other loot-grind ARPGs I've played throughout their existence. I need to check that HD reskinning out!

Alas I am going *hard* on Path of Exile right now for the first league start I've properly invested far too much time in since Heist. Although the specific league mechanic absolutely blows and I've gone so far as to temporarily hide its drops until I give a shit, the general revamp of endgame mechanics is amazing for players like me that want to stretch the league out over a few months. There's just so much to do that I feel like I can achieve on my own time now. Best expansion in years.

The HD texture pack is a 5.7 gig texture pack that - alongside some forced graphics changed I pushed via my Nvidia control panel, have resulted in a much cleaner game, with less anti-aliasing issues and improved tree/water/clothing textures. 

13 hours ago, RumHam said:

Not just Chrono Cross, they're releasing an official English version of Radical Dreamers with it for the first time. Very exciting.

Actually that whole Nintendo Direct was a love letter to fans of 90s JRPGs. It is crazy that Live A Live is finally getting an English release too.

12 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I'm with you on the new mechanic.  I'd even go so far as to say it hinders acts because of how many of those things they have, making some of the areas very compact.  I'm really hoping to get to maps by the end of the weekend.  I'm doing a freezing totem build that just kills all the things while I zoom through the areas.  Should get up to level much quicker than my last league's RF build

20 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Being just too tired and brain fogged from long hours at work this week, I've taken up exploring a game that's long sat on my To Try Out list: Dungeon Siege. Several modders have made some HD textures available, which have spruced up the game a bit as well. After a few hours of playing, I find myself thinking that it feels very much like a streamlined version of Neverwinter Nights. But definitely a fun way to downtime when the brain is too stuffed and tired to process a meaningful or remotely complicated narrative.

The two games that was my introduction to RPGs, Dungeon Siege and Neverwinter Nights. I have fond memories of both.

On 2/6/2022 at 3:53 PM, Ramsay B. said:

I finally took my Oculus out and decided to use it. I’m a total VR noob as I never played anything before. I tried Vader Immortal ep 1, and it’s really short but cool as hell. It was seriously kind of intimidating the first time Vader makes his appearance and walks up to you. He’s huge.

Anyone have any recommendations? I was gonna get Resident Evil 4. That could be an intense one(loved the original).

I had the Rift and really enjoyed it. But I sold it a year or two back, mostly for the convenience factor (and having a young child). I finally got myself a Quest 2 recently though. I also have only really played Vader Immortal 1 on it so far - also last weekend, funnily enough.

So my experience mostly comes from the Rift and isn't very up to date. But I agree with Ace on Superhot - that's a must play.

Arizona Sunshine was also a lot of fun, but I'm not sure whether that made it over to the Quest.

A very simple game that I ended up really enjoying was Dreadhalls. And I know I saw that on the Quest store. It's simple, as I said - and at the start of it I just found it vaguely spooky. But the atmosphere is great. And by the end of it I was pretty much scared shitless when coming face to face with monsters etc. I had to really steel myself to push through and complete the game.

Fruit Ninja is well suited to VR and is a simple game for showing to the neighbours' kids etc.

And yeah - Res Evil 4 is definitely on my wish list (for when I finally get time to devote to it). I don't believe Res 7 ever made its way over to Rift or Quest, though (and I'd expect it would need more horse-power than the Quest can deliver)

14 hours ago, aceluby said:

I'm with you on the new mechanic.  I'd even go so far as to say it hinders acts because of how many of those things they have, making some of the areas very compact.  I'm really hoping to get to maps by the end of the weekend.  I'm doing a freezing totem build that just kills all the things while I zoom through the areas.  Should get up to level much quicker than my last league's RF build

I'm glad you're having fun. It's been the smoothest league launch in years while busting their own records for concurrent players. The massive change to endgame mechanics is the best thing that's come to POE since Ascendancy trees.

I blasted through the acts (which are 90% of the player base's bread and butter) and had an amazing time zooming through the Atlas, with really satisfying incremental intros to the various endgame systems to profit off. 

I had a ton of time on my hands this league launch and went really hard. Most fun I've had with the game in years. I have loads of projects I want to reach,  so this should be my most played league in years. About time, I had soured on a lot of their decisions. I'm having a blast.

Warner Bros's rights for Lord of the Rings movies and video games are up for sale for $2 billion. 

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/lord-of-the-rings-hobbit-tolkien-zaentz-rights-sale-1235176036/

Curious if the recent big buyers in the video game industry will jump on this. Additionally, there seems to be some attacks on mods going on. The Rise of Mordor's ModDB page got hit with a takedown notice. This makes me wonder is SEGA/Creative Assembly is looking at getting a piece of the pie.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

Additionally, there seems to be some attacks on mods going on. The Rise of Mordor's ModDB page got hit with a takedown notice. This makes me wonder is SEGA/Creative Assembly is looking at getting a piece of the pie.

WB sent the takedown notice, apparently due to the name of the mod rather than anything else. So I doubt there's any real meaning to it.

It's going to be some big media company that will buy the rights, that will then sublicense gaming rights.

Played about 90 minutes of Lost Ark to see what the fuss is about, and I don't get it. It certainly looks pretty, but the combat feels bad, all the gameplay systems seem to bebog standard MMO stuff mixed with a dash of the usual South Korean pay-to-win stuff, and the writing might as well not be there.

And yet it's one of the biggest games of all-time as measured by Steam concurrent players.

Archived