UK Politics: Gray's Anatomy

A Horse Named Stranger

Appeal to authority doesn't win an argument when the authority doesn't have much real authority on an issue and is merely a person of prominence the two protagonists know about. Like saying my favourite Youtube astrophysicist loves 'Don't Look Up', so that means it's a great movie, therefore you're dumb if you didn't like it*.

Appeal to actual, credible authority also doesn't win an argument if the other person is a nutjob.

*I liked 'Don't Look Up' a lot and I even liked it BEFORE my favourite Youtube astrophysicist said they liked it.

12 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I guess being able to say that you had a senior bureaucrat position at No10 is good for the resume, but those who worked for Johnson might have to try to word their resume in such a way that it is not obvious they worked there while he was PM.

I mean she’s been working with him for 14 years as far as I know. For her to resign on this shows it was really the straw that broke the camels back. She’s head of policy but it looks like it’s too much of a mad house to actually do anything worthwhile so she’s realised it’s time to get the hell out!

I think this and Frost have been some very damaging losses for Boris, if he’s only got Nadine Dorries left defending him then he’s really in trouble 

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I mean she’s been working with him for 14 years as far as I know. For her to resign on this shows it was really the straw that broke the camels back. She’s head of policy but it looks like it’s too much of a mad house to actually do anything worthwhile so she’s realised it’s time to get the hell out!

I think this and Frost have been some very damaging losses for Boris, if he’s only got Nadine Dorries left defending him then he’s really in trouble 

Dorries knows no one else would have her in the cabinet

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Has he resigned yet?

No. Some reports that Boris is planning to spin this as the "cleaning house" he promised, since one of the aides who quit was personally implicated in the party fiasco.

Some Tory MPs are apparently quite aghast at that and there is the feeling that if this is not the straw that broke the camel's back, it's the one that caused it at least to buckle slightly.

In some respects it's the most damaging moment to date though, because his senior aides are the people who've stuck by him through all the utter horseshit he's pulled at #10, as Foreign Secretary and as Mayor of London, so for them to bail at this point is quite telling (though also indications they might have become abruptly aware they were about to miss the last lifeboat spaces on the Titanic).

It's certainly spurred more letters of no confidence to go in, and Rishi Sunak has even mildly criticised Boris whilst trying to appear not to, which by his standards is only one step short of running up to Boris and screaming "LET'S GO MOTHERFUCKER!" in a leadership contest.

I think Sunak’s in a bit of a bind - the longer he stays the more he’s tied to Johnson which will bring down his chances, but if he’s the first Cabinet minister to jump ship he will think that will also hurt his chances as there’s a perception among the Tories that whoever wields the knife never wins the leadership (eg Heseltine when Thatcher went)

Sunak is busy sinking his own chances, it seems to me. Longer he stays as Chancellor, the less chance he has. 

Do I have this right? I'm reading that the 'loan' scheme he's suggesting isn't really any such thing. You can't turn it down. You get £200 off your bill next year and then £40 added to your bill for the next five years. In fact, if you live at home with your parents now, you and your parents will get £200 off. If you subsequently move out, both you and your parents will repay £40 a year. Same if you divorce. A household of 4 could in theory get £200 off next year and repay £160 a year for five years if they split up. 

ETA - not a hypothetical. Consider a flat of four final-year students, for example. 

That's a tax. 

Rishi has your very best interest in mind. He just wants to properly motivate you to be serious about your dating app.

If you were to move into one flat, with seven final year students, who lived alone before, seven of you would save £160

7x160 = £1120

Of course, all you have to do is find those magnificient seven. But you can't expect the goverment to take of everything, can you?

8 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Worth noting - those were the only 3 parties to stand a candidate - though it IS pleasing the UKIP couldn't even do anything there - except show their usual class.

There do seem to have been a selection of other parties like the English Democrats who did even worse, they all seem to be various flavours of right-wing nutcases.

I think Sunak wants Truss to break ranks first, but Truss is probably thinking the same about him.

There are reportedly up to six other candidates considering standing, but most of them you've never heard of (and we can't discount Gove standing at the last minute and then getting confused why he doesn't get anywhere).

The fuel crisis is a major issue but it might be interesting because the price of fitting solar panels to the average UK house has fallen to around £5,000-5,500, which with the new energy bills means that you can now pay that back and get into profit in four to five years rather than ten, and with the second wave of price hikes coming in October, that might fall to three years. I've now got my landlord finally thinking about it seriously.

Of course, for the enormous numbers of people who can't afford to drop that amount and whose landlords do not give a shit, that's not much help. And air pumps are still too expensive to be a viable replacement for gas (though at £13,000, that's still an improvement on the £18,000 they were going for just a couple of years ago; they need to be far, far cheaper than that to be viable for most people though).

2 hours ago, Raja said:

I would love nothing more than to see Sunak crash and burn.

Sunak appears to be a flat-taxer. This latest stunt is effectively a flat tax relief paid for by flat tax revenue: he has decided to reverse the planned increase in capital gains tax (but not NI): and he has talked about abolishing the top rate of tax altogether.

Never mind becoming PM. It's urgent that this idiot is kicked out of government altogether, IMO.

Archived