Daylight saving time sucks donkey balls… final thread?

Ser Scot A Ellison

21 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

This is, honestly, my least favourite day of the year. Four months till March...

I know this makes me sound crazy, but February has become kind of giddy processional month for me. I'm not going to say that I can actually feel the extra minutes of daylight as they accrue, but I won't say it doesn't cross my mind at the time. It's a nice counterpoint to the depressing downward trend into ever more darkness from November to winter solstice.

32 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

My friends in the north will soon have virtually no light at all. And people just a bit further south see the sun go down by 3:00, so at least it’s not quite as bad!

22 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Maybe it's just because I'm Canadian, but I would switch to permanent DST in a heartbeat. I absolutely getting out of work to darkness. I don't care about the extra hour of sleep I just got. Give me back my hour of afternoon sunlight!

This is, honestly, my least favourite day of the year. Four months till March...

I don't know where you guys live but I live north of Montreal and I would much prefer eternal summer time...

16 minutes ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

I know this makes me sound crazy, but February has become kind of giddy processional month for me. I'm not going to say that I can actually feel the extra minutes of daylight as they accrue, but I won't say it doesn't cross my mind at the time. It's a nice counterpoint to the depressing downward trend into ever more darkness from November to winter solstice.

I'm absolutely with you. January and February are easier for me than November/December because even though they're colder, there's at least an upward trajectory in sunlight time, and summer is getting closer and closer...

@Bironic I'd also take eternal summer time.

Edited by Caligula_K3

I live in Stockholm, Sweden, and I for one would prefer normal time. The sun should be at its highest point at 12 noon because that’s the definition of 12 noon. You don’t get an extra hour of daylight with DST, all you do is forcing everyone to set their alarm clock one hour earlier. Plus evidence shows that it’s bad for people’s sleeping habits. Normal time helps us wake up in the mornings and go to bed in the evenings because light and darkness have an impact on our hormones telling us to wake up and sleep. If it’s dark longer in the mornings and light longer in the evenings, it makes it harder to wake up and harder to go to bed. 

Of course all of that is void when it’s dark from 3 pm. November sucks here. I’m December at least you get the Christmas lights to brighten your spirits. 

11 minutes ago, Erik of Hazelfield said:

I live in Stockholm, Sweden, and I for one would prefer normal time. The sun should be at its highest point at 12 noon because that’s the definition of 12 noon. You don’t get an extra hour of daylight with DST, all you do is forcing everyone to set their alarm clock one hour earlier. Plus evidence shows that it’s bad for people’s sleeping habits. Normal time helps us wake up in the mornings and go to bed in the evenings because light and darkness have an impact on our hormones telling us to wake up and sleep. If it’s dark longer in the mornings and light longer in the evenings, it makes it harder to wake up and harder to go to bed. 

Of course all of that is void when it’s dark from 3 pm. November sucks here. I’m December at least you get the Christmas lights to brighten your spirits. 

Yes i imagine it makes sense for Northern Europe.as it does for northern Canada or Alaska. But I don’t know why ca 500 million Europeans living further south should do a time scheme that is good for maybe ca 40 million people in Northern Europe above ca the 55 degree north.

1 hour ago, Bironic said:

Yes i imagine it makes sense for Northern Europe.as it does for northern Canada or Alaska. But I don’t know why ca 500 million Europeans living further south should do a time scheme that is good for maybe ca 40 million people in Northern Europe above ca the 55 degree north.

You misinterpret me. Nothing about what I wrote is specific for the northernmost latitudes. The only reason I mentioned my location is that I wanted to point out that I’m in favour of normal time despite the fact that I live far north. Many up here share your opinion that DST is better. 

• 4 months later...
17 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

As always, the worst day of the year. Damn you time thieves! 

Best day for parents of sleep thief kids.  When our clocks go forward they have slept until 0500 instead of 0400. Though ours happens at the end of the month. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

I look forward the the autumn switch where I get an extra hour of sleep. But it doesn't really compensate for the jet lag of the spring switch. Commiserations for all my northern friends who have or will soon suffer.

On 3/10/2024 at 11:40 PM, Kalbear said:

Still one of my favorite days of the year

Agreed! Yesterday I got out of work at 5, took the bus home, and by the time I was in my neighbourhood at 6 the sun was still out and I could take a nice walk. I'd lose a full night's sleep for that.

2 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Agreed! Yesterday I got out of work at 5, took the bus home, and by the time I was in my neighbourhood at 6 the sun was still out and I could take a nice walk. I'd lose a full night's sleep for that.

Ever since I took a job that starts fairly early, I have come to appreciate early morning daylight. So while for most of my life I had unbridled love of Daylight Savings time, I have a newfound appreciation of what Standard Time offers. Just as I was starting to enjoy my well lit morning drives, now I'm thrust back into darkness, again getting blinded by LED headlights. One more month and then I'm happy again...

2 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

For me it was always the first day that I get to actually leave work when it's daylight. I love that.

Don't love the actual time shift, but dusk starting on 7PM is a big win. 

• 3 weeks later...