DUNE (Part 1 Spoilers and News)

Corvinus85

18 minutes ago, Werthead said:

It's certainly not "bad" from a technical standpoint, but it does have major issues in structure, characterisation (and one of Zimmer's most overwrought soundtracks) which a lot of people seem very happy to overlook.

I would very comfortably rate it as the weakest of Villeneuve's SF adaptation trifecta (Arrival and Blade Runner 2049). It'll be interesting to see what he does with Rendezvous with Rama next.

Arrival still blows me away.

39 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

That was in the news a while back. That’s the project he wants to do after Dune 2. No word at what stage the project is in. 

Without Messiah the faithful shall be truly blind :bawl:

I will be brave, father. Give me to the desert. Give me to the desert while it remains.

• 1 month later...

My forensic analysis has revealed a few interesting things:

Some of those VFX shots aren’t finished. Too many group shots where the eyes should be blue-within-blue and they aren’t. Only a few of them are. Like a main character.

Every time there’s a shot of the Atreides signet ring, I keep expecting to to open up and reveal The Flash logo. Fuck my life.

ETA:

Halek-Rabban bowl. Get hype!

Is he using the voice when he says, “Long live the fighters”? Is he voicing like, thousands of people?

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

50 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

If you’ve read the book the trailers are almot the whole movie… why are the Harkonnens all albinos?

Yeah, I'm not sure I like that about Feyd. The Baron and Rabban are ok, but Feyd is supposed to be the savior of Arrakis after Rabban's brutal regime. So are the people of Arrakis just going to buy into someone who just looks like a miniature version of Rabban? He's even described in detail in the book.

That being said, I am intrigued by the stylistic black&white choice of Geidi Prime.

I’m guessing that arena is under a giant fluorescent lamp or something. I thought there was no sun on Giedi Prime.

They aren’t actually albinos; just really creamy.

Sunblock. Flesh tinted sunblock. Lots of flesh tinted sunblock. And a huge floppy hat… and he never goes out doors.

I forget if we're doing book spoilers in here or not, so to play it safe

That's a nice misdirect

Spoiler

At the end with the power to destroy something being implied to be him having the power to destroy the city rather than the power to destroy the spice. It was just implied enough that destroying the city would seem like a twist so people picking up on that won't be looking for it to be about something else.

The final shot in that trailer is very Syd Mead and I’m so here for it.

I really like the Fremen armor. It almost looks like refractory material or plaster over mesh, which would hint at how the stuff is manufactured. 

ETA: what’s that shot at 00:12? I don’t think that’s Giedi Prime but those are Harkonen banners everywhere. The platform also has a symbol on it that might be CHOAM, but I’m not sure.

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?