DUNE (Part 1 Spoilers and News)

Corvinus85

41 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

ETA: what’s that shot at 00:12? I don’t think that’s Giedi Prime but those are Harkonen banners everywhere. The platform also has a symbol on it that might be CHOAM, but I’m not sure.

They look like Saudaukar to me.

Bit of a tangent here but after seeing the possibility of the Zuckerberg v Musk fight happening in the Colosseum I realized Mark's face would oddly fit well on the uncanny ultra bald Feyd Rautha who we see in the arena in this trailer.

I need an AI to make it so.

Simultaneously the funniest and un-funniest cage match in history.

Musk will start dancing and laughing at himself; not realizing everyone is laughing at him. Zuckerberg will call a time out to fix a glitchy VR headset. Then they’ll bitch about how “low tech” their carbon steel swords are, (you can’t possibly kill anyone with something so unsophisticated).

What follows will have future historians and contemporary sports commentators debating endlessly; about how some totally implausible sequence of thrusts and parries resulted in these guys simultaneously decapitating themselves.

10 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

According to some news outlets, Dune 3, adapting Dune: Messiah, is being planned. 

Obviously dependent on how well Dune 2 does. I'm still not sure it would make for a very interesting movie and might be better as a tv show with some spice from Children of Dune mixed in. 

Either way, surely they couldn't keep Timothy as Paul for that, that guy is going to look 15 for the next 30 years. 

7 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Obviously dependent on how well Dune 2 does. I'm still not sure it would make for a very interesting movie and might be better as a tv show with some spice from Children of Dune mixed in. 

I see what you did there.

9 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Either way, surely they couldn't keep Timothy as Paul for that, that guy is going to look 15 for the next 30 years. 

I dunno.

Spoiler

They can make him up to look ~10 years older for DM, he's already more than a decade older than Paul anyway, and then he gets his face burned off for Children of Dune, which kind of ends the problem.

9 hours ago, Heartofice said:

The three-part Sci-fi channel from early ‘naughts Children of Dune (Dune Messiah was part 1) was pretty good. Better than their Dune adaptation, though even that was relatively faithful to the book.

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

The three-part Sci-fi channel from early ‘naughts Children of Dune (Dune Messiah was part 1) was pretty good. Better than their Dune adaptation, though even that was relatively faithful to the book.

:agree:

5 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Those were pretty good but had a very “90’s” visual sensibility. The use of Dutch angles, particularly in the House Harkonen scenes, would give Battlefield Earth at run for its money.

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Those were pretty good but had a very “90’s” visual sensibility. The use of Dutch angles, particularly in the House Harkonen scenes, would give Battlefield Earth at run for its money.

They did extraordinarily well considering the budget . . . .

12 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I rewatched it last year after doing a re-read. I used to agree with your point but after watching again I’m not so sure. 

Of course the show had a lot of limitations but even it struggled to do anything with the plot of Messiah. 

Dune was on regular TV last night.  I think I like it more every time I see it.  There are still a few things I dislike, such as Jessica crying all the f. time and how dirty they did Mapes with so little screen time.  I would also guess it was pretty slow for anyone wo didn't read the books.  Chalemet seems like one of the very, very few young actors with old school charisma.  That is all.  Will make sure to see the next one at the theater.

23 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Dune was on regular TV last night.  I think I like it more every time I see it.  There are still a few things I dislike, such as Jessica crying all the f. time and how dirty they did Mapes with so little screen time.  I would also guess it was pretty slow for anyone wo didn't read the books.  Chalemet seems like one of the very, very few young actors with old school charisma.  That is all.  Will make sure to see the next one at the theater.

I don't recall Jessica crying all the time. The only scene where she looks vulnerable is the Gom Jabbar scene.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I don't recall Jessica crying all the time. The only scene where she looks vulnerable is the Gom Jabbar scene.

She cries or almost cries several times throughout the movie.  Don't get me wrong, I love Rebecca Ferguson's casting, but I thought they made her a little too fragile seeming.  I did watch the trailer for Dune II about 10 times yesterday.