DUNE (Part 1 Spoilers and News)

Corvinus85

13 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Sounds like an adult version of character has been cast, I'm assuming in one of Paul's prescient visions:

Hide contents

Anya Taylor Joy was at the premiere, and is said to have a small, mysterious role in Part 2.  Alia?

They're probably setting up the 3rd film.

Generally I'm not terribly interested in pre-release impressions, which unless the movie is a total disaster tend to be overly enthusiastic (wasn't The Flash cited as the best superhero movie ever before the official reviews came out?), but I think Christopher Nolan is earnest in his praise. Yes, he likes the Fast and the Furious franchise, but I think he can clearly separate expectations of the type of entertainment a movie is offering, and evaluate Dune with its own metric of quality. And if he didn't like it, he wouldn't say anything.

Villeneuve has been a consistently excellent director, and the latter half of the book is dense with the best material, so I won't  be surprised if this turns out to be good. I'm still relieved that it's receiving this amount of praise, because the movie could conceivably be fumbled, which would be too bad.

6 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

This guy gives everything a good review these days, don’t trust his bs

I couldn’t care less if he doesn’t want to bash the latest comic book movie or not. :lol:

He puts out great content, and I’ll continue to watch his stuff. 

Just now, Nictarion said:

I couldn’t care less if he doesn’t want to bash the latest comic book movie or not. :lol:

He puts out great content, and I’ll continue to watch his stuff. 

I’m not talking about bashing comic book movies, I mean giving trash like Argyll a good review which is just objectively bad and giving non reviews to Madame Web which even he couldn’t lie about so he didn’t bother talking about it, despite having a click bait thumb nail about it on his YouTube video

Since he’s making a movie now and dosent want to provide a sincere critique on films cause he’s afraid of getting cancelled by the industry he should really re think whether it’s even worth uploading anymore. 

30 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I’m not talking about bashing comic book movies, I mean giving trash like Argyll a good review which is just objectively bad and giving non reviews to Madame Web which even he couldn’t lie about so he didn’t bother talking about it, despite having a click bait thumb nail about it on his YouTube video

Since he’s making a movie now and dosent want to provide a sincere critique on films cause he’s afraid of getting cancelled by the industry he should really re think whether it’s even worth uploading anymore. 

I watched the Madame Web video he put up despite having absolutely no interest in it. Mostly out of curiosity after seeing the uproar over him turning into a “Hollywood schill” or whatever. And then he literally went on to bash the studio in the video…

Anyway, the above Dune: Part Two review is the topic at hand here. For anyone interested. And he’s hardly alone in his effusive praise for the film from everything I’ve been seeing. 

Edited by Nictarion

Stuckman has been completely upfront that he doesn’t want to put out really negative reviews and is just highlighting movies he likes mainly. I don’t have a problem with that, it’s what he wants to do and is honest about it.

Its made his channel less entertaining and I barely watch his reviews any more ( there aren’t very many either) but I don’t have a problem with him.

Reviews seem very positive so far for Dune2, which is good.

I keep trying to rewatch the first part  but I stop after a few minutes each time. I can’t put my finger on what it is about the adaptation that doesn’t click for me, when I should love it.

Maybe I am so familiar with the story that it doesn’t excite me to see it on screen. But not sure it’s that because I am happier watching the Lynch version and can watch LOTR 1000x a day. 

Maybe it’s the aesthetic, which is technically beautiful, but also far too monochromatic and cold for my tastes, they made Arrakis almost grey! Everything feels empty, compared to say Lynch and his over the top ludicrous but sumptuous design.

Maybe it’s the script which seems pretty faithful to the book but for some reason doesn’t inject any humanity into the movie, maybe needs more voiceover??

I dunno, I’m hoping that I will get hyped for the next one and it being the second part I will feel more satisfied, as the first was just half a story and cut abruptly.

26 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I keep trying to rewatch the first part  but I stop after a few minutes each time. I can’t put my finger on what it is about the adaptation that doesn’t click for me, when I should love it.

Maybe I am so familiar with the story that it doesn’t excite me to see it on screen. But not sure it’s that because I am happier watching the Lynch version and can watch LOTR 1000x a day. 

Maybe it’s the aesthetic, which is technically beautiful, but also far too monochromatic and cold for my tastes, they made Arrakis almost grey! Everything feels empty, compared to say Lynch and his over the top ludicrous but sumptuous design.

This is it for me. Aesthetically, I think the Dune universe is psychedelic, extravagant, colourful, maximalist and weird. Villeneuve's Dune is a very well-made movie, but I really don't like the more stark, minimalist design philosophy. It feels very generically sci-fi.

20 minutes ago, Liffguard said:

This is it for me. Aesthetically, I think the Dune universe is psychedelic, extravagant, colourful, maximalist and weird. Villeneuve's Dune is a very well-made movie, but I really don't like the more stark, minimalist design philosophy. It feels very generically sci-fi.

I think it ticks a lot of boxes in terms of scale, but yeah it all just looks quite dull. There are so many open spaces that just have nothing in them, which I think is on purpose, but it’s also deeply uninteresting visually. 

Edited by Heartofice

The Dune 2 trailer has been played in front of every movie we have seen this year, so we have seen it probably seven times.

The movie itself (Dune 2) may be amazing, but boy howdy is that trailer boring, particularly when it comes up right after the Mad Max Furiosa trailer or something like that.

It will be interesting to see if the Dune 2 can exceed the Re-Edition version in terms of story and pacing.  The non-director's cut improved on the original one hundred times.

On 2/21/2024 at 11:55 PM, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Check the size of the aggregate for Madame Web on RT. Now compare that to a typical MCU film. There were a lot of critics that brushed off reviewing this movie. At least Stuckman is up front about it. 

If he didn't want to join in on piling on that film for whatever reason, there's nothing wrong with that.