How is the weather out there?

LongRider

Tomorrow will be the third day in a row of perfect summer weather, of temps just below or at 80° in the daytime, down in the 60's at night, low humidity and Green/Good AQI.  Whew.  I can't remember having three perfect days in a row.  We are so fortunate because it's not like this hardly anywhere else right now.

We will get ours again, we can be certain of that.  But in the meantime, we're are enjoying this to the hilt.

Yeah, other than one hour long downpour we got caught in Friday on my golf trip, it's been top notch in NY and CT the last six days, at least where I've ended up each day.

Back in CT now, where the weather is notoriously variable, so if August doesn't get over 90 or so very often, I'll be happy as can be.

Did read a bit about that undersea volcano from earlier in the year just recently.  The articles seemed to say that all that extra water vapor is going to heat the atmosphere.  But really, it rains or snows when the fraction of the atmosphere that is water vapor is too high for a given temperature not to precipitate.  I would think that's all precipitated already, since there's already a near equilibrium base line most of time up there.  Might have been heavier than usual rain or snow fall months ago, but how would so much extra vapor stay up there long term this time but not others?

22 hours ago, Zorral said:

Tomorrow will be the third day in a row of perfect summer weather, of temps just below or at 80° in the daytime, down in the 60's at night, low humidity and Green/Good AQI.  Whew.  I can't remember having three perfect days in a row.  We are so fortunate because it's not like this hardly anywhere else right now.

We will get ours again, we can be certain of that.  But in the meantime, we're are enjoying this to the hilt.

Same here! Finally. You know it's been stupid hot/humid for a long time that you put on a sweater when it's a perfect 25C :lol:

There’s a massive Scouting Jamboree going on in South Korea right now that seems to have run into serious trouble for lack of preparation. 40,000 teens from 144 countries are attending, and the kids are finding there are not enough tents or water or food, and it’s 95 degrees. No word on the what the temperature feels like with the humidity but it had to be a few degrees higher at the very least. Hundreds and hundreds of kids needing medical treatment for rashes, heat stroke and other problems. The UK has pulled out it’s 4,000 participants and is putting them up in hotels, where they hope the scouts can continue to experience the jamboree events and reduce pressure on the organizers since it’s the biggest single participant group.

The Korean government has announced its rushing in air conditioned tents and supplies.

And I saw that in China they got massive  amounts of rain from Typhoon Doksuri, Beijing reporting heaviest rain in 140 years, 29 inches or more on the weekend.

Humid, HUMID.  Waiting for heavy duty thunderstorms. Flash flooding.

Entering the hurricane season that is predicted to have the most hurricanes in history, and long too -- until at least into November as November, like all the fall, is going to be warmer than usual in the past.

Sounds like we're about to get some real "wrath of god" level t-storms and tornados here in the DC area in a couple hours. OPM just announced at 245 that all federal offices were closing at 3pm so people can get home in time. I've never seen that happen outside of blizzard events and never with such short notice.

We had a fierce thunderstorm whip through Toronto on Thursday night. I was about to go out to walk around the park and catch Pokémon when I heard the familiar tap-tap of raindrops on my kitchen window, and a few minutes later I went out to see how bad it was and the rain was coming down in sheets.

The next day friends showed me pictures of their son’s house in the east end of the city. The strong winds had brought down a massive branch from the neighbor’s tree, which fortunately landed across their garden shed instead of the back of their house. (They have a small garden, that was lucky!) The shed is damaged beyond repair but their two bikes survived unscathed. Unfortunately there’s another very large branch hanging over the back of their house, right over their bedroom, so they dragged the mattress to the living room (one storey house) to sleep there until the neighbor can get a company in to take down the tree. The missus is 6 months pregnant, that was quite the scare.The broken branch revealed a rotten interior. Maybe they can get there on Tuesday, but at least by Wednesday (long civic holiday weekend here).

Apparently the law here says if the tree was healthy, the party responsible for clean-up is the party where the branch landed. But the branch revealed a rotted interior, so the cost goes to the tree owner. Kinda tough on her, she just bought the house earlier this year.

My friends’ son was bemoaning the fact that for the last 5 years he’d filled the garden with plants that do well in the shade, and now they’re about to have a sunny garden.

Turned out the weather in Sicily was pretty much the same as at home after all. Just got back home and it is 29 degrees Celsius, while it was actually 27 when I took off from Sicily in the morning.

Generally the whole week was in a range of 27-31 degrees, which is livable for me if the humidity is low, and it was. 

Edited by 3CityApache

25 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

Overcast with a chance of (more) rain.

You might be getting hit with the same storm system that happened here last night that's moving East. It was the perfect blend of some thunder and lightning while the rain wasn't too hard on the plants. Plus a free car wash! 

Hot hot hot. I’m meeeeltiiiiiiing.

Giving serious thought to adding a Heat Pump to compliment my electric furnace [they act as AC and Heating units] but then my electricity bills might be 400 every month instead of just during the winter. 

iono, might research.

Just today my sister and her husband had solar panels installed on their home.   When done, the installer showed them that their electric meter was now running backwards. Yay.  So now, a few hours later, it has gotten cloudy with a light rain.  

First time in weeks!   :dunno:

Edited by LongRider

Y'know, solar panels are a darn good idea with all this sun some of us are experiencing.   If you plan on staying in a home for some period of time, I'm sure they'll pay for themselves AND be good for you.  Win-win.  

JGP:  My husband and I bought a house with a heat pump back in the '80s in Cincinnati.  Our bills were the highest we've ever paid.  Hope they've improved since then.