How do you want The Freys to face their ruin?

King_Tristifer_IV_Mudd

4 hours ago, Gilbert Green said:

I can see GRRM killing them just to show that cycles of vengeance don't operate with surgically precise justice.

I agree, I think the vengeance thing will go way overboard. It will be to the point where grrm has us readers questioning whether this was justice or not.

14 minutes ago, The Young Maester said:

I agree, I think the vengeance thing will go way overboard. It will be to the point where grrm has us readers questioning whether this was justice or not.

I’m sure that women and children will be murdered, both at The Twins, and in Kings Landing.

1 hour ago, The Young Maester said:

Most surely. It already happened during Robert's Rebellion, the Dance of the Dragons and the Blackfyre Rebellions and was already mentionned heavily during Dorne chapters, with a special emphasis on Elaria's speech on the futility of vengeance and how she lost Oberyn due to his hunger for it and how she can never have him back anymore that it can bring back Elia and her children, is and the tragedy that no one listen to her, and the chapters with lady Stoneheart that show how Catelyn has been entirely consummed by vengeance and is only a shadow of her former self, with the only piece of light left in her being her love for her children. 

I find Lady Stoneheart a superb horror to extract the revenge:

• You actually have a murder victim doing the judging of those who killed her and her son and the related families who may have not executed the crime, but eagerly hope to profit from it... In that sense I'm all for the Red Wedding 2.0, which will be an improvement as infiltrators would not be breaking guest right, and will become another new warning tale. "Don't break guest right, or Lady Stoneheart may come and massacre you and your family." This means there will be survivors of RW2.0 on the Frey-Lannister side to pass on the tale. She is always present to accuse as primary eye witness when a Frey gets hanged... a mistress of the crossing. (hmmm I get this picture of Freys hanging from the rafters)
  • Equally she is not an omniscient god, and so threatens to kill those whom she believes were in on the plot, but were not, and most likely will end up executing or massacring innocents.
  • She insulates the revenge cycle and it stops when she lays down her life.

Not all Freys will end up dead imo, though most of the survivors will end up with another name.

I'm not that personally big on justice (meh) so I don't really care much for the so-called 'innocent Freys'. Nymeria can have them all. I think though that the instruments of vengeance will have a different view than I and it may be (for example) when she's elbow deep in the blood of Big Walder that Arya reflects 'there has to be a better way' and begins to feel a bit of empathy for some of these people she's wiping out. Obviously LSH will be immune to this sort of self reflection but unless living humans take a backseat to the zombies I don't think her opinion will hold much sway.

Anyway I don't think the Freys are going to get 'what they deserve' because the people that will put them down won't be the kind of people to make sure that they do.

The Freys' fundamental sin is avarice. In dramas of the last few centuries, the usual "poetic justice" for avarice is to lose everything. In this case, it would mean the Freys would need to lose the Twins and not just lose Riverrun, Seagard, and anything else they've gained. The Freys would need to lose their home, their titles, and their status. This doesn't necessarily mean that they would all need to be killed. In fact, leaving a bunch homeless and destitute would be the more traditionally thematic outcome rather than having them all wiped out.

14 hours ago, The Young Maester said:

Westeros is not capable of giving justice. What the Freys will get will be death, destruction, and horror. 

Justice has nothing to do with it. 

On 1/11/2023 at 5:00 AM, KingEuronGreyjoy said:

In my mind, Walder Frey is so old, it’d be fitting and ironic that he must suffer but survive long enough to see the ruin of his house. He needs to see most of his family killed, scattered to the winds, and he needs to lose Riverrun and the Twins. It would be an added bonus for him to live long enough to see the Starks return to power in the North.

Maybe as Lord Walder is fleeing the Twins he is set upon by Nymeria’s Wolfpack and ripped limb from limb.

Frey Pie doesn't seem like such a bad idea! 

but I wish for the good Freys(I mean it) such as Robb's squire , little Elmar , the girls and so on to survive . 

Archived