Tully Madness

Sydney Mae

Just now, Darth Sidious said:

Sure, but that doesn’t change the fact that I will insist for eternity and beyond that Arya is crazy  because I didn’t read the books or didn’t understand the story I read or am just going to die on this hill despite the fact that there is no evidence to support my beliefs.

FTFY. You’re welcome! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2023 at 7:37 AM, YeniAy_Ottoman said:

Many characters in the book, including Arya, are actually traumatized, and Arya's first trauma starts with Mycah.

But not everyone who is traumatized will turn into Lysa and Cat. There is no doubt that every child takes something from their parents. There's nothing more natural than that, but it's clear that Sansa is more like her mother. I'm not going to claim that Arya is more like her father, yes, she took something from him, but she doesn't resemble him much in terms of personality, it's not for nothing that she's compared to her aunt Lyanna. It might be more accurate to say that Arya is more like her Stark ancestors...

but it's obvious to me that Sansa is starting to have "psychological" problems, I haven't seen any signs of Arya's Tully madness, her situation is similar to the stories of traumatized child soldiers (Martin said something like that). In today's parlance, she suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder.

The situation for Sansa is a bit complicated, in addition to PTSD, her false memories and the fact that she started to remember the lies she told as truth, and GRRM's implicit insinuation that her false memory is "what does it mean for her psychology?" indicate that she is facing a problem similar to the problem of the Tully women. Of course, I don't think she will be subjected to a madness in the form of her aunt and mother, I think she will have more of an identity crisis and start to integrate with Aleyna.

Arya is worse off.  Sansa looks to cope adequately with her captivity.  She is making the best of it given her nature.  Boldness and bravery is not in Sansa's character.  I am not saying this passive way will lead to something good for her.  Being passive usually will lead to more abuse until she builds the courage to leave Petyr Baelish.  It is risky but nothing is ever gained without risk.  I agree with the identity crisis.  Petyr read Sansa and he knows how to control her.  He has Sansa boxed in on all sides.  She will need help from outside but first she has to build the courage to escape.  She needs a better Dontos. 

There is undeniable madness in Arya.  She murders even when the victim is not a threat to her.  She composes a long list of future victims.  You can't write that off as a simple case of PTSD. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2023 at 8:47 PM, Sydney Mae said:

The Tully sisters went mad.  Catelyn Tully-Stark and Lysa Tully-Arryn were showing signs of madness and emotional fragility.  Lysa had it from her youth to her death.  Catelyn lost it at the wedding.  She cut Aegon Frey's throat and killed him.  Catelyn went mad that minute.  There is insanity in the Tully blood.  Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Rickon are half Tully.  Cat's brood inherited the gene predisposing them to insanity.  I know stress can trigger the disease.   

Arya is already close to losing it all. 

Could the mods just close this thread already?

But since this floated up anyway, so far as I know nothing, NOTHING supports that Tullys in general are more prone to madness than anyone else. Edmure Tully hasn't gone insane despite being caught up in the middle of a mass murder scene, something some posters claim triggered Catelyn's madness just prior to her death.

Catelyn and Lysa had been subject to stress factors that could have driven the majority of humanity insane. Nothing supports it's 'in the blood'. Anyone who objects could try watching your son get killed and feeling the feels. I remember the way my father looked when I got hit by a car in an accident. No, if you go insane when your son is murdered in front of you, it does not support any claim madness runs in your family. It's a reasonable human reaction to stress and trauma.

The 'Catelyn may have memory problems that passed onto Sansa' theory is much more interesting.

7 minutes ago, SaffronLady said:

The 'Catelyn may have memory problems that passed onto Sansa' theory is much more interesting.

This is something I've never considered before. Would you mind elaborating on this, or is there a source I could go to to read up on it? :) 

I tend to see more of Ned in Sansa (based off their personalities, behavior, and coping mechanisms.) I've always assumed her memory problems were tied to Ned. Maybe it's tied to both lol.

4 minutes ago, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:

This is something I've never considered before. Would you mind elaborating on this, or is there a source I could go to to read up on it? :) 

I tend to see more of Ned in Sansa (based off their personalities, behavior, and coping mechanisms.) I've always assumed her memory problems were tied to Ned. Maybe it's tied to both lol.

I came across this while trawling through the previous pages of the thread. Most of it was a headache though. 

Like folks, seriously, keep a pet hamster or something. You will know what 'normal human reaction' is like when some stray cat eats your pet hamster.

9 minutes ago, The Commentator said:

This is true. Arya is killing but she pays for revenge with losing her sanity with each act of murder. 

Does that mean someone who has ordered the deaths of thousands and caused the death of tens of thousands would go as mad as Aerys? Nah what am I thinking, Aerys didn't order the deaths of that many people until after he became completely mad, such a person would be madder than Aerys.

Edited by Corvo the Crow

5 minutes ago, The Gizzard of Oz said:

Revenge is costly.  It will send Arya to the grave eventually. 

Perhaps. More likely, a destitute teenage girl trying to seek vengeance on 2 powerful houses that put her in her predicament in the first place would cause her death because her targets are poweful, not because it is vengeance.

Like, Boltons and Freys aren't sheep to the slaughter. Especially the Boltons, they don't shear the sheep, they flay the sheep and end up with no more wool.

12 minutes ago, Bowen 747 said:

Arya, Sansa, Bran, and Rickon have the madness taint from the Tully side.  Jon, if he is a son of Rhaegar, has the taint from the madness which seems to afflict the Targaryen males. 

Care to give a quote or are you content with randomly saying stuff?

13 minutes ago, Bowen 747 said:

Arya, Sansa, Bran, and Rickon have the madness taint from the Tully side. 

Yes, the famous non-existent taint. Because there is no textual evidence for it. As has been pointed out over and over in this thread. None of the Tullys went mad due to a 'taint'. If this were the case, Edmure should be displaying the taint, not to mention all of Catelyn's children. People should mention the Tully taint. But they aren't. Because it doesn't exist. It is something made up to bash the Tullys because they are pro-Stark. Just admit it.

This is, quite frankly, the most stupid and asinine threads I’ve ever seen on this site. The fact it hasn’t been locked or deleted by the mods is nothing short of astounding to me. There is absolutely no merit to the idea that the Tully’s have a mad gene in them. It also seems quite obvious that this threat was meant to use the 2, ONLY 2, Tully women going mad after years of abuse and severe moments of trauma, to defend Targaryens throughout their 300 years of tyranny. 

Stop responding to this thread, and let it die.

23 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

Yes, the famous non-existent taint. Because there is no textual evidence for it. As has been pointed out over and over in this thread. None of the Tullys went mad due to a 'taint'. If this were the case, Edmure should be displaying the taint, not to mention all of Catelyn's children. People should mention the Tully taint. But they aren't. Because it doesn't exist. It is something made up to bash the Tullys because they are pro-Stark. Just admit it.

Catelyn trusted Littlefinger.

There. Your evidence for Tully madness. :ack: