UK Politics - Now is the Spring of our Discontent

Which Tyler

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

So the Scots are illiberal for rejecting her medieval bigotry? Does she even think before opening her maw?

She needs to get in the fucking sea. 

How dare you judge me based on how judgemental I am!

Vaguely reminiscent of the Founding Fathers, escaping "religious persecution" to a different continent where they'd be free to exercise religious freedom.

The freedom they were denied? The actual persuction of other sects.

It was interesting to read Mormont’s description of the strict practices of certain Scots Presbyterians, and boy oh boy, it sure explains the city of Toronto and the province of Ontario that I grew up in. People joked well into the 60s and maybe the 70s that Toronto rolled up the sidewalks on the weekend. Nothing was allowed to be open on a Sunday. But then again this whole province was run by Scots Presbyterians.

Before Pierre Trudeau became PM in the late 60s he was Justice Minister and one of his key positions was “there is no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation”. He introduced the laws that decriminalized homosexual acts. He couldn’t change the mind set of everyone, of course, but that was the first step that eventually led to Canada bringing home it’s constitution and writing the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

The Conservatives, of course, led a smear campaign saying, essentially, “look at this fucking homosexual monster trying to destroy Canada”. God bless conservatives everywhere, eh?

eta: Trudeau was a practicing Catholic and always put the interests of the nation ahead of his faith, much to the anger and chagrin of various Catholic prelates in the country

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

European boarders, what is your experience? Are your major supermarkets struggling to put fresh produce on the shelves?

I would say you can see the difference to before. It's generally more expensive and not so much on reduced price. Which points out to less overproduction. Here in Bavaria the shops close at 20:00 (and don't open on Sunday) and you can see a lot of gaps in the vegetable department of the likes of Aldi and Lidl. Not so much in the other shops though. 

All in all it's visibly different but not yet worrying.

Give Kate Forbes her due, she's also decided to go ahead and crater her support with the heterosexual community.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/kate-forbes-children-sex-marriage-wrong-b2286533.html

SNP leadership frontrunner Kate Forbes has said she believes having children outside of marriage is “wrong”.

The devout Christian attributed her views to her faith as a member of the Free Church of Scotland and said it was something she would personally “seek to avoid”.

9 minutes ago, mormont said:

Give Kate Forbes her due, she's also decided to go ahead and crater her support with the heterosexual community.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/kate-forbes-children-sex-marriage-wrong-b2286533.html

In for a penny, in for a pound.  An Equal opportunities idiot. 

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Maybe she can piss off feminists by telling them to quit their jobs after marriage?

3 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

The freedom they were denied? The actual persuction of other sects.

Ehhhhhhh this seems a stretch. The puritans for example could be looked at as very progressive in their doctrine from what I gather.

it’s deeply disgusting and sexist that people can’t recognize havibg sex with someone without their consent is rape regardless of the assaulter’s sex. TBC I’m talking in the matter of morality, not legality. 

On 2/20/2023 at 2:33 PM, mormont said:

I note that Forbes has now given an interview to C4 News saying she won't 'row back on any rights that already exist', though in doing so she's seriously mischaracterised the terms of discussion, trying to present the idea that 'marriage is between a man and a woman' as being the settled view of all three major world religions, Christians in particular, rather than one on which there are very different views among religious people.

That sounds reasonable at a glance but on deeper inspection it appears just something to give the illusion of compromise or moderation recognition of her limitations on being able to do much on  or simply having a more troubling view of what rights people innately have or at least should have.

It reminds of the Amy Comey Barrett’s response of “roe is precedent” when asked how she’d vote on future cases that could limit abortion rights cases

5 hours ago, Raja said:

I..doubt she's going to win any leadership contest.

Yeah regardless of her views being espoused she clearly does not have the necessary skills for this leadership position. I remember people saying that Jezza's job included dealing with a hostile media and that's no less true here. 

6 hours ago, Spockydog said:

European boarders, what is your experience? Are your major supermarkets struggling to put fresh produce on the shelves?

https://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/unternehmen/asda-britische-supermarktkette-schraenkt-kauf-von-gemuese-und-obst-ein-a-0c222f0d-ed75-425c-af7a-7cc34886d9da

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Ehhhhhhh this seems a stretch. The puritans for example could be looked at as very progressive in their doctrine from what I gather.

Pretty progressive on some things, yeah, but then there was the burning of witches and Quakers.

1 minute ago, DanteGabriel said:

Pretty progressive on some things, yeah, but then there was the burning of witches and Quakers.

If you didn't try to burn or drown the woman, how could you tell whether or not she was a witch?

Anyways, people that religious should go into the service of their institution and stay the fuck away from government. 

8 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Maybe she can piss off feminists by telling them to quit their jobs after marriage?

unfortunately so long as she cries trans women are mentally ill or predatory men she’ll be presented as a hero for women’s rights—assuming her rivals don’t join her on the explicit transphobia train.

Speaking of those rivals: it's interesting to me that no matter how bad things get for Forbes, the transphobic/anti-GRR wing of the party seem to prefer doubling and tripling down on the cries of 'religious bias!' rather than looking at Ash Regan, who is a close ally of Joanna Cherry and also opposed to the GRR bill. Regan is seemingly picking up no support from this whole row.

21 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

"A serious, historical document." /cdn-cgi/mirage/3079d70471035a0f69517f12d6b3febb59c8bdb116175430da4eef3bf34d12ea/1280/https://asoiaf.westeros.org/uploads/emoticons/default_lol.gif

That thread is awesome!

8 minutes ago, ants said:

That thread is awesome!

These people are bonkers. Farron sounds like he actually believes this shit is true. As in it actually happened. 

And then to attempt to use this fantasy novel as the basis for legislating people's lives in 2023. Kate Forbes, JRM, and all you other butter-brained religious nutters, stfu and gtfoh.

13 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

it’s deeply disgusting and sexist that people can’t recognize havibg sex with someone without their consent is rape regardless of the assaulter’s sex. TBC I’m talking in the matter of morality, not legality. 

When the Puritans left England, they first went to the Netherlands because they had religious freedom there. They then left for America as the Dutch tolerance of other religious beliefs irritated them to no end.

Archived