Watch, watching next

DireWolfSpirit

52 minutes ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Saw John Wick 4

That shit was fire

Dragons breath to be specific!

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Shameful admission, I've only seen part of the second and have yet to get to the third one. 

Part 2 was I think the worst. 4 is my favorite of the sequels. The action is so far over the top it's becomes fun again.

Watched Triangle of Sadness and enjoyed it a lot more than I think I did with The Square. I guess ToS is a bit broader in its appeal and maybe a bit more in your face with its messaging which makes it an easier watch. It's also more obviously humourous and there are some genuinely funny scenes with the shit literally hits the deck! 

Also as a demonstration of power and privilege and how money affects human behaviour I found it pretty insightful. 

13 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Caine and Mr. Nobody were both such great characters. 

I found Mr. Nobody's addition to bloat the movie. What was his purpose? I don't think he had a connection with any other character from the previous movies. 

9 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I found Mr. Nobody's addition to bloat the movie. What was his purpose? I don't think he had a connection with any other character from the previous movies. 

To be awesome? Why does there have to be a former connection, or some grand purpose?

I loved his scenes. He was just a badass bounty hunter with a badass doggo sidekick (always gets points from me). 

They of course get mode absurd each film. Any dialogue is generally comprised of some likeable actor chewing up his or her scenes like popcorn. I love the series despite the "plot" becoming completely and utterly ridiculous even by the third act of the original. I'd far rather turn my brain off to these films than to other lots-of-action-stars series like The Expendables or the FF films.

Rewatched Brian de Palma's Carlito's Way. I forgot how good Sean Penn was in his role as Carlito's sleazy lawyer friend who ends up making a mess of everything. And I completely forgot that Viggo Mortensen was in it in a small part.

It's a nice pairing with Scarface, of course, giving two very different pictures of people with criminal backgrounds. Carlito's attempt to go straight goes bad almost immediately in a memorable scene in a dive bar, but he then seems to manage to get back on track until fate (and friendship, and his own personal code of honor) works against him. Carlito's a much more approachable figure than Tony Montana.

The first season of Shadow and Bone did little to nothing as far as I was concerned.  But often second seasons of shows improve, so I tried it.  It is equally, perhaps even more so, flat and unengaging as the first season. :dunno:

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Went back and watched John Wick. It's a legit great action film even if some of the premise is incredibly dumb. 

Yes.  It's one of those movies where it is so engaging that you really don't care how utterly implausible almost everything that happens is.  Maybe Rings of Power should hire these writers?  [That's a joke].  

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

To be awesome? Why does there have to be a former connection, or some grand purpose?

I loved his scenes. He was just a badass bounty hunter with a badass doggo sidekick (always gets points from me). 

For me, the movie felt about 30 minutes too long. If they had cut out Mr. Nobody's entirely, the plot wouldn't have been any different.

Succession 4th season is another wash, rinse, repeat cycle -- how many times can we sit through these kids' inarticulate posturing idiocy that passes as them having a business meeting while Logan squashes them like the bugs they are. No new developments, no development at all.  We always end where we start.

All the Roy kids suffer from Attention Deficit Disorder. Anyone spending a length of time in their company also becomes infected with both their ADD and their dreadful taste in color, clothes and everything else. Everyone else also gets infected with their only joy which is to demean, humiliate, hurt and screw over – which they had gotten from their father. Well, this last, maybe Gerri has avoided? But Tom and Greg have embraced it entirely.  Gerri's not family; they are -- sort of.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

For me, the movie felt about 30 minutes too long. If they had cut out Mr. Nobody's entirely, the plot wouldn't have been any different.

Sure, in a purely literal plot sense, him not being there wouldn't have changed much. 

But sometimes a story needs a wildcard. Apart from just being cool, and the actor carrying the action well, he added unpredictability to a set of characters whose relationships with each other were set and clear more or less from the start.

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

If you are going to cut anything cut that stairs sequence.

9 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Sir, respectfully, it can't be a John Wick movie without a dog in a central role.

On 4/4/2023 at 6:25 PM, dbunting said:

Part 2 was I think the worst. 4 is my favorite of the sequels. The action is so far over the top it's becomes fun again.

It was pretty solid.

You could have told me the deaf woman in it was Justin Bieber and I'd have believed you. They look damn near identical. 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

You could have told me the deaf woman in it was Justin Bieber and I'd have believed you. They look damn near identical. 

She's not everyone's cup of tea, I gather, but I like Ruby Rose a lot, and I'm glad to see she's apparently back on the horse as far as big-screen stuff goes after the TV Batwoman seemed to fuck her up for a while (both in terms of career, and actually being nearly paralyzed). Even though I have mixed feelings about the project she's in- 'US hero soldiers' is always something to be sceptical about, but Martin Campbell knows what he's doing.

She's not Meryl Streep or anything, but she's got a really sharp movie-star screen presence imo. And can handle action capably, clearly. 

I think 3 is my least favourite John Wick. Couple of the action sequences went on way too long, and I really hated the ending. 

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

She's not everyone's cup of tea, I gather, but I like Ruby Rose a lot, and I'm glad to see she's apparently back on the horse as far as big-screen stuff goes after the TV Batwoman seemed to fuck her up for a while (both in terms of career, and actually being nearly paralyzed). Even though I have mixed feelings about the project she's in- 'US hero soldiers' is always something to be sceptical about, but Martin Campbell knows what he's doing.

She's not Meryl Streep or anything, but she's got a really sharp movie-star screen presence imo. And can handle action capably, clearly. 

She's certainly memorable looking and catches the eye, but she's a fucking terrible actress. I liked her in John Wick except when she talks, it was cringe.

I haven't seen John Wick 4 yet, but I felt like 3 was a bit of a disappointment. That opening half hour is fucking excellent, everything up to the bike chase I was dribbling in my chair due to how awesome the action was. Then the story kicked in and it just dragged on. That last fight was also not great and I was checking the time by the end. I really like both the first two movies, even if they are clearly pretty weak in the whole story / script dept.

On 4/3/2023 at 9:17 PM, Heartofice said:

I’m not going to say it’s good, or say that you should give it a chance.. because it’s not really good and probably not worth giving a chance. But this season actually was a lot different to the others, and I give the show credit for actually managing to differentiate each season and do something new.. ish

Eeeeeeeeeh. I don’t know. There are some many more titles on my watch list. Maybe if the right mood hits me I’ll give it another try. 

Archived