WWWatching

TheLastWolf

All of its shortcomings aside, Jurassic Park 3 is better than any of the reboots because it doesn't have characters making sly winkey winks at the audience and bitches in five inch heels outrunning the T-Rex, which was clocked at 60 kilometers an hour if I recall. Dr. Sattler is wearing boots. Sarah is like a GreenPeace EcoActivist used to roughing it. 

Yo, take them shoes off sister. Whadd're you dooooing? Who is writing this schlock??? 

Also, riding a motorcycle with velociraptors is dumb. 

And, sorry, I no its knot a good look to say something about a Disabilities person. Sorry, gotta do it. 

I don't care how autistic the kid is. "We need more teeth." Or whatever is just terrible writing. It's just bad writing, worse acting, and fucking shameful directing. If I were the head of the studio I would have had Terverow (?) disappeared half way through the first screening of the rough cut. 

I could go on, but they ain't paying me enough for this shit. 

1 hour ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

bitches in five inch heels outrunning the T-Rex, which was clocked at 60 kilometers an hour if I recall.

Can you run as fast as you did in 1993? Plus lets be fair she's technically a genetically engineered imbred monster. It's kind of amazing she didn't get hip dysplasia while she was still in her prime. 

18 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I also watched season 8 of Endeavor when I got back home. Like always, each season has three episodes. I thought the first was okay, the second one was quite good, and the third one was awful. It's such a frustrating show. I still think its pilot episode was probably the greatest British murder mystery (I use that very specific description since it's basically a genre on its own) ever, but this show definitely went on way beyond its best-before-date. The performances are still great, but the quality of the mysteries are usually terrifyingly awful. I read that there is one more season left (9 which has been released in the UK already), but I'm not betting on getting any resolution to the personal dramas of Endeavor, which is a shame.

Oh, I got confused there and thought you were talking about the final season and I was going to Say Some Things about the final episode. Regardless I completely disagree that it went on beyond its best before date. I mean, is it even really about the mysteries? I mean, really? It's about Morse. And Thursday. It's about policing. It's about society. It's about what is happening in the country at the time each season is made. And the personal drama of Endeavour is what the whole show is about - and if you have seen Morse you'll have a pretty good idea of where he ends up because it's where Morse starts.

I watched The Wonder. On the one hand, yes it was a good film, on the other hand - does it always have to be about child abuse and the church and Ireland? Was it a good performance from Florence Pugh? Sure. But was it AMAZING, as I have seen some critics claim? Maybe if you've never seen any other films. I dunno, it was fine but I wasn't blown away.

Which brings me to The Last of Us - much the same really. It was fine but I wasn't blown away. The people who were losing their minds over how great it was must have been mainlining nostalgia for the game. Aside from episode three, what is the difference between this and TWD? It's survival horror and it has all the same tropes. If you enjoy survival horror as a genre, surely you would like both shows.

3 season late, but Bones the series finally asked the question I’ve been asking since season 2: how are Angela and Brennan even friends? 

of course they didn’t answer the question just glossed over it with a lofty gesture. Oh well. 

2 hours ago, Isis said:

Which brings me to The Last of Us - much the same really. It was fine but I wasn't blown away. The people who were losing their minds over how great it was must have been mainlining nostalgia for the game. Aside from episode three, what is the difference between this and TWD? It's survival horror and it has all the same tropes. If you enjoy survival horror as a genre, surely you would like both shows.

I felt the same on this show. Outside of that 3rd episode there was almost nothing there that felt new or interesting. I basically got bored and didn’t continue to the end.

2 hours ago, Isis said:

I watched The Wonder. On the one hand, yes it was a good film, on the other hand - does it always have to be about child abuse and the church and Ireland? Was it a good performance from Florence Pugh? Sure. But was it AMAZING, as I have seen some critics claim? Maybe if you've never seen any other films. I dunno, it was fine but I wasn't blown away.

Agreed on this. Good, solid fun with a sense of time and place well-evoked, but not phenomenal. Ditto Pugh.

Watched Guardians Vol 3 this weekend, pretty good and worth the matinee price. Gives some tear jerker moments for our favorite vermin.  I still think the original is by far the best.

Spoiler

Not so subtle pride moment, when they go to the organic place and their suits and the color of the rainbow. I assume that was a nod to inclusiveness.

It amazes me how much passion pops up whenever someone mentions Jurassic Park on here. No matter what it gets like two pages of comments. I haven't been able to watch the newest one, got a few min into it and was already playing on my phone. Hated the one before that and really didn't like the one before that, the one with the high heeled track star.

Edited by dbunting
Added Spoiler

47 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

BCS S5E6

How could they sustain that momentum for so long, and I expect till the end?

Hah! This is gonna be funny

The Whitehouse Plumbers Laurel and Hardy approach isn't working for me.

The Elizabeth Olsen, Love & Death series, set in 1979 xtian Texas small(ish) city-suburb, however, does work for me!  I recognize everything.

Edited by Zorral

31 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I caught the first episode of White House Plumbers. It’s pretty good but it’s hard to get Shea Whigham’s portrayal of G. Gordon Liddy out of my head. Gaslit basically tells the same story but from a different perspective. 

I've heard people say Gaslit is very good. Never seen it, will have to see if it's available. I liked White House Plumbers. Funniest bit for me:

Hunt: My boys would do it for free. They're patriots.

Liddy: Ahhh. Real Americans.

Hunt: Better.

<Introduce Cubans complaining about the valet not taking their car>

Of course, I'm Cuban-American, so it made it extra funny.

Also finished a re-watch for In the Mood for Love, Wong Kar-Wai's stunningly beautiful 2000 film set in 1962s Hong Kong. Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung are rapturously good in their roles -- especially Cheung, who (at Wong Kar-wai's insistence) wore twenty different absolutely gorgeous cheongsam dresses over the course of the film:

The music featured in the video above (Shigeru Umebayashi's "Yumeji's Theme") is one of a few key pieces of music in the film, and appears in long, otherwise-silent sections that are just .... I mean, they're some of the most beautiful moments ever put to film, frankly. Special mention has to be made about the cinematographers, Christopher Doyle (who left the film part way through, partly due to it running over time, partially due to frustration with Wong's perfectionism leading to scenes being shot over and over again) and Mark Lee Ping-bing. Some critics I know basically try and put down the effect of the film just to its cinematography, but I think that's shortchanging Wong Kar-wai's major role as not just director but writer of what's an elusive, delicate story about infidelity and unrequited love. It's just stunning.

The latest Sight and Sound poll placed it as #5 greatest film of all time, and I think that's right according to my own personal list of greatest films. I've rewatched it almost yearly, since finally seeing it for the first time (very belatedly) in 2016.

27 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The Whitehouse Plumbers Laurel and Hardy approach isn't working for me.

It was a bit weird to me as well but I was on board by the end of the episode. The more I learn about guys like Liddy and Hunt the more I realize those guys may have actually been fucking idiots.

21 minutes ago, Ran said:

I've heard people say Gaslit is very good. Never seen it, will have to see if it's available. I liked White House Plumbers. Funniest bit for me:

Of course, I'm Cuban-American, so it made it extra funny.

Gaslit is very good.

Drinking, doing other stuff, watching Barry for the first time...

OMfuckingG

Season 1 Ep 5

When this dude just shouts "LeRoy Jeeenkins!" 

:rofl:

omg

Yo, my unit never got deployed while I was in. But goddamn if that ain't exactly what every one of my quarterwit platoon-mates wouldda screamed right before they died if Uncle Sam (That'd Be Barack Obama and one Joseph, Treacher, Biden) weren't busy sending National Guardsmen (and women) to places Regular Army men (and women) should have been going...

For Tax Purposes, you understand. 

Edited by Secretary of Eumenes

43 minutes ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Drinking, doing other stuff, watching Barry for the first time...

OMfuckingG

Season 1 Ep 5

When this dude just shouts "LeRoy Jeeenkins!" 

:rofl:

omg

Yo, my unit never got deployed while I was in. But goddamn if that ain't exactly what every one of my quarterwit platoon-mates wouldda screamed right before they died if Uncle Sam (That'd Be Barack Obama and one Joseph, Treacher, Biden) weren't busy sending National Guardsmen (and women) to places Regular Army men (and women) should have been going...

For Tax Purposes, you understand. 

That dude was great. The series of messages about how he'd like to kill those bolivians was so funny.

I don't know why we never had a Barry thread, it seems like a lot of us like it. Seems odd to start one now with three episodes to go.