NBA - Rochambeau Playoffs

Rhom

Still hoping the C's can comeback but the 3rd game is do or die. They win that or they are toast for sure.

Eta: Also these playoffs reaffirms my opinion, Id take Jokic over Embiid on my roster.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

Well yeah Jokic just has a midrange game. They can both shoot threes and can both post up but Embid has nothing in the middle. Also of course a way worse passer. Probably a better defender but that’s not going to make up for what he lacks offensively.

This game three out east seems to be getting out of hand here. Celtics layups plus threes just can’t keep up.

On 5/19/2023 at 11:23 PM, Tywin et al. said:

It works when you're good at it. This is where I think the math is screwing with coaching. Let guys shoot from the places they're good at it. It does not need to be all threes, layups and FTs. That's why I was pushing back at the idea of Ewing being a three point shooter today. Let him harvest that 10-12 foot shot and set it up so he got clean looks, and them hammer the opponent with it if he was struggling to get inside or dealing with foul trouble. 

That was my whole point about Ewing,  He wouldn't be a three point threat.  He would hit the mid-range jumper with so many open looks or "Euro-step" into the paint from there and dunk the ball.  And if doubled, he could pass to the open 3 (assuming the person taking the shot was more accurate now than John Starks).  Somehow the conversation devolved into Ewing being a 3-point threat, which I don't think he ever would be.

Holy moly, that was completely embarrassing.  I can't remember a playoff series where one team was so heavily favored and got destroyed like this.  Lakers-Pistons in 04 maybe (although they won a game on a last second Kobe shot). 

Maybe these Celtics get hit and win game 4, it could happen.  But this has been a complete domination this far.

Conventional wisdom is you need multiple all stars, but the 2 teams likely going to the finals its because they are deep and allow everyone to play. One star and everyone contributing and knowing their role, and no egos for the win. 

It also helps if the star is all about the winning and not the bullshit. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Ratings and narratives be damned. Sorry about LeBron and Steph, and ESPN's propped up Embiid. My guy Butler is gonna play my other guy Jokic in the finals. Denver is the far superior team, but Jimmy is dragging this squad of willing role players past MVP after MVP. It's amazing. 

45 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

I assume that’s another shot at the person you started the last thread about. Just drop it we’re really not interested.

Eh? It's a shout to people like butler and jokic who I think are some of the few stars would be happy with 12 points 5 and 5 averages if it meant winning the title.

And a criticism of the players that think they are GMs who havent got a clue. Which most of the board tends to argue from time to time.

And you may be right that others aren't interested, but it's presumptuous to say so on their behalf. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Celtics just...quit. Pretty crazy to see Spo and the G-League All Stars totally snatch their will to win away. Really puts into perspective just how bad Harden was in Games 6 and 7. 

WTF were the Celtics thinking putting a 34 year old rookie control in charge of a championship contender? Yes, they were put in a tough spot by Udoka's actions, but surely they could have gotten plenty of better and more experienced coaches than Mazzulla. Spo vs him is the biggest coaching mismatch I've ever seen.

But full credit to Miami, they have been fantastic. The turnaround in their shooting from 3 compared to the regular season have been incredible. They are extremely well coached and full of tough and smart players.

40 minutes ago, David Selig said:

WTF were the Celtics thinking putting a 34 year old rookie control in charge of a championship contender? Yes, they were put in a tough spot by Udoka's actions, but surely they could have gotten plenty of better and more experienced coaches than Mazzulla. Spo vs him is the biggest coaching mismatch I've ever seen.

The Udoka thing was like 3 weeks before the season started, right?

1 hour ago, Relic said:

The Udoka thing was like 3 weeks before the season started, right?

More or less. And the guy they would have replaced him with was hired away. So they basically went to the assistant of the assistant everyone knew was unqualified. 

Edited by Tywin et al.