US politics - wheeling and dealing, avoiding debt ceiling

2 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

This assumes that Trumps ego will let him accept a plea deal.

Trump shows how much of a wimp he is in these exact situations. He's dreaming for a plea deal. 

1 hour ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I saw somewhere the total prison term in terms of the US Sentencing Guidelines is 420 years. 

He really only needs one night.

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Trump shows how much of a wimp he is in these exact situations. He's dreaming for a plea deal. 

He really only needs one night.

It’s a practical impossibility to sentence a former president to prison.* He’ll end up paying a bunch of fines and probably get sentenced to a term of house arrest… at his massive luxury golf club in Palm Springs… 

His “prison” tats will be hilarious.

* Unless you want to lock up a dozen secret service clowns with him.

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

He might dream of one, but accepting one likely actually loses him a even a few hard-core supporters...it absolutely will dry up some of the grift money...

23 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

It’s a practical impossibility to sentence a former president to prison.*

France says hi.

Edited by Mindwalker

25 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

It’s a practical impossibility to sentence a former president to prison.* He’ll end up paying a bunch of fines and probably get sentenced to a term of house arrest… at his massive luxury golf club in Palm Springs… 

His “prison” tats will be hilarious.

* Unless you want to lock up a dozen secret service clowns with him.

It only is if your mind allows it to be so. Being an elected official should make it easier to send you to jail than if you or I commit a crime that would obviously mean we were going to do time if found guilty. There fucks do not deserve special protection and that goes for all of them regardless of party.

18 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

He might dream of one, but accepting one likely actually loses him a even a few hard-core supporters...it absolutely will dry up some of the grift money...

Sadly the grift money will always be there. Idk what the number is, but like at least 15-20% of diehard Republicans will always give the dude money. 

8 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Ted Kaczynski has graciously made room for Trump in prison. https://www.yahoo.com/news/theodore-ted-kaczynski-known-unabomber-165836331.html

First thing that sprung to mind when I saw this was the people complaining that the left "would make an 80 year old man (Trump) die in prison" if they jail him for this, and that they don't give two shits about anyone else dying in prison.

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It only is if your mind allows it to be so. Being an elected official should make it easier to send you to jail than if you or I commit a crime that would obviously mean we were going to do time if found guilty. There fucks do not deserve special protection and that goes for all of them regardless of party.

Oh, an elected official can go to jail. Plenty have. But he won’t.

He’ll pay a bunch of fines, He might even get sentenced to prison; but that sentence will be suspended and he’ll get a bunch of years of probation. He won’t spend a day in jail. I’m calling it right now.

Goddamn I hope he flees the country. This could get entertaining.

9 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

If Trump lands in prison, a major reason will be because of his 'D List' legal team. He'd pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel here. 

(Maybe Ser Scott will get summoned to join Trumps 'bigly' legal team.)

Ser Scott has (too many) principles. 

I think Trusty (which, btw, what a Dickensian name), was hired because he boasted of his supposed influence with Jack Smith to head off the indictment.  They both headed departments at the DOJ at the same time, and that's how John Dowd got the gig in the Mueller investigation.    

Todd Blanche is a good lawyer, by all accounts.  I'd expect a more sophisticated representation than Joe Tacopina.  But the facts are what the facts are.  

23 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

If Trump lands in prison, a major reason will be because of his 'D List' legal team. He'd pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel here. 

(Maybe Ser Scott will get summoned to join Trumps 'bigly' legal team.)

In the unlikely event I was called… (I don’t do criminal defense work… I’m not licensed in Florida) I would decline to accept his representation.  

The man is a nightmare for attorneys.  He ignores their advice and doesn’t pay for work performed.  Listening to the call with the GA Sec. Of State his attorneys kept interrupting him trying to keep him from engaging in intimidation.  He just bulled on ahead…

53 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Oh, an elected official can go to jail. Plenty have. But he won’t.

He’ll pay a bunch of fines, He might even get sentenced to prison; but that sentence will be suspended and he’ll get a bunch of years of probation. He won’t spend a day in jail. I’m calling it right now.

Goddamn I hope he flees the country. This could get entertaining.

Title bet?

And don't think I've forgotten yours @Secretary of Eumenes and @Kalnak the Magnificent.

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Title bet?

And don't think I've forgotten yours @Secretary of Eumenes and @Kalnak the Magnificent.

I mean, if you want? But seems like it's gonna be unfair if you're gonna have to have a custom title from us for the next like years. 

I also would feel a bit bad betting against you. Is there a term for a gambling addict who never, ever bets right? 

11 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

I mean, if you want? But seems like it's gonna be unfair if you're gonna have to have a custom title from us for the next like years. 

I also would feel a bit bad betting against you. Is there a term for a gambling addict who never, ever bets right? 

No, this is an old bet you're going to have to owe. Urban Meyer will not be a head coach this upcoming season and the clock is ticking on that one. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

11 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

You’re on, Suckah.

Chumps and chumpettes, lock it in. Say by the end of 2025? The process will be slow. Also I get a backdoor out if he goes to jail for anything else we've already know about. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Chumps and chumpettes, lock it in. Say by the end of 2025? The process will be slow. Also I get a backdoor out if he goes to jail for anything else we've already know about. 

Ty is going to own your asses.  How do I get in on this? Although I think end of 2026 is probably a safer date.  

23 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Ty is going to own your asses.  How do I get in on this? Although I think end of 2026 is probably a safer date.  

Title bets only last a month. You can just get in afterwards. They're not concurrently, 

But to me it seems pretty clear Trump is fucked and the other likely charges to come down will only be worse. No regular person could avoid serious jail time for everything he's done. In many ways his situation is a true stress test of the entire legal and judicial systems. If he gets off, why even have prisons?