US politics - wheeling and dealing, avoiding debt ceiling

30 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

At this point, I suspect if Trump lands in prison, it will be because of the utter incompetence of his lawyers. Apparently the current (or last) Trump legal team were termed 'D list.'

When you spend all your inheritance on golden toilets...

1 hour ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

Again the important thing to understand here in my reasoning is - where is the actual harm? There's certainly a possibility for harm, but it did not, say, reveal state secrets directly (unlike Reality Winner) or divulge them to the press (unlike Snowden) or actually put them in a book (like Petraeus). 

So yeah - it's going to be a very hard sell to get him majorly punished. I'm even willing to entertain the notion that he gets convicted. The evidence is strong, the Espionage Act is incredibly broad and stupid, and Trump as is his typical behavior admitted to doing crimes. But actual serious penalties? Please.

Obstruction of justice is the actual charge you're looking for.  You keep harping on when rich powerful white males get convicted and serve time?  There it is.  Since Watergate, there's literally dozens of examples.  Congressmen, Cabinet members, general rich people.  Not a lot of time, granted, but time.

11 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

An entirely golden toilet isn’t screaming ‘fake’ with every iota of its existence? 

Probably, but I wouldn't put it past some crazy (and) rich Mofo (likesay Michael Jackson 1980s/1990s) to put an actually golden toilette in their home.

2 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

withdrawal as a candidate for president, btw, will not be a formal or informal term of any plea deal.  There's just insufficient trust between the defense team and the prosecution to even have that kind of informal convo or for the defense to offer it in mitigation...

Missed this.  Trump not running absolutely would be a formal part of a plea deal, dunno what you're talking about here.  Prosecutors can absolutely make that part of any agreement, and they would.  When I was a kid and put on probation, my mom literally dictated who I legally wasn't allowed to hang out with.  Same thing happens with most organized crime parolees in terms of consorting with known felons.

Anyway, it's not about trust, it's formalized.

52 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Probably, but I wouldn't put it past some crazy (and) rich Mofo (likesay Michael Jackson 1980s/1990s) to put an actually golden toilette in their home.

Oh, I’m not doubting someone would do it, I’m saying that’d tell us a lot about them. I’ll say this for them; they’ve at least identified the problem. 

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

An entirely golden toilet isn’t screaming ‘fake’ with every iota of its existence? 

Well these days people probably prefer a toilet that's like a computer. 

58 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Watching him shop on some random TV show was truly horrifying. 

33 minutes ago, DMC said:

Missed this.  Trump not running absolutely would be a formal part of a plea deal, dunno what you're talking about here.  Prosecutors can absolutely make that part of any agreement, and they would.  When I was a kid and put on probation, my mom literally dictated who I legally wasn't allowed to hang out with.  Same thing happens with most organized crime parolees in terms of consorting with known felons.

Anyway, it's not about trust, it's formalized.

Imagine someone not being able to run for president because their mom made it a condition for their parole

I still believe it's possible he showed/ sold some of the docs to... interested parties.

And btw, Mar-a-Lardo is a hotspot for spies. They would have to be very inept not to find some of these docs, e.g. in the ballroom and photograph them, without Trump himself knowing.

Maybe the DOJ haven't found out, or maybe they just can't prove it. We might never know until MBS has his memoir written.

ETA: I'm very pessimistic about the trial now that we know the judge. No way will she recuse herself, and I doubt she will be recused, no matter how many wish-fulfillment vids the likes of MeidasTouch put out.

Edited by Mindwalker

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Don't you mean Pence?

Definitely an amusing candidate as well.  I went with Buttigieg cuz I thought it was funny and due to his relative youth I know his mother is still alive.

13 hours ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

Because it's not part of the charging documents?

Merely meaning there isn't evidence of same, unlike him talking on vid and tape while showing the dox to others and saying they are top secret. I wouldn't count on evidence that he's done so showing up.

The EviLe One will and does steal anything he fancies and uses it for money.  He stole Matt Damon's voice for his post-indictment political ad that is also a demand for money, for instance.

https://www.axios.com/2023/06/10/trump-post-indictment-video-uses-matt-damons-voice-from-air

Matt Damon's famously a registered and active Democrat, btw.