MCU - This Thread Wasn’t Made For You

DaveSumm

Yeah, the 2nd episode, which I liked, was weird in that it seemed that it partly went business as usual. Considering the urgency of the 1st episode with the Temporal Loom, you would think that things could only escalate. Instead they toned it down and went for the smaller plot of searching for Sylvie and the rogue TVA agents.

Season 1 had the mystery of the TVA as the central arc and it was well done. Season 2's main arc is the explosion of the multiverse and the impending coming of the Kang variants, but there is less mystery involved.

Another fun episode. 

Interesting seeing Loki more or less sidelined to advance the plot with Sylvie taking on the more traditional mantle of the character [to a point] I'm tempted to stop watching and wait until all the episodes are released for a straight binge, despite being fully aware I won't be able to.  

Edited by JGP

Just now, sifth said:

This show is a lot of fun. This is legit the only MCU show, that I look forward to seeing each week.

Isn't it the only MCU show you can look forward to seeing each week? 

Unless I've lost my grasp on the Marvel release schedule, which is very possible. 

My mother used to regularly tell me that I was the favourite of her offspring. (She didn't have a huge number to choose from). 

Just now, dog-days said:

Isn't it the only MCU show you can look forward to seeing each week? 

Unless I've lost my grasp on the Marvel release schedule, which is very possible. 

My mother used to regularly tell me that I was the favourite of her offspring. (She didn't have a huge number to choose from). 

I meant in the past. Literally every other MCU show released on Disney Plus, has always been something I just kept on, while doing work. With Loki I not only look forward to watching, but don't do anything else while watching it.

That episode was certainly a step up from the first two. Again, those weren't bad, exactly, they just felt like marking time,  whereas this one felt like actual plot progression. It's not great that episode three of a six episode series feels like it's finally getting going, but it's better than never getting going.

It does have two problems: while I could see what Majors was trying to do here, he was overdoing it. Victor Timely felt like a performance in a way He Who Remains did not. The other issue is the weird Miss Minutes/Renslayer jealousy over Timely. Can we not think of a better dynamic here for two female characters to fall out? It feels particularly off given the allegations about Majors, although of course nothing has been proven and they couldn't have known about it at the time of filming, I presume.

It's particularly a shame as the Renslayer/Timely relationship was otherwise some of the best acting in the season. If they'd left it at that and had Miss Minutes betray Renslayer for some other reason, the whole thing would have worked so much better.

Again, though, the series looks terrific. Costumes, sets, everything. And the cast are great.

4 hours ago, mormont said:

That episode was certainly a step up from the first two. Again, those weren't bad, exactly, they just felt like marking time,  whereas this one felt like actual plot progression. It's not great that episode three of a six episode series feels like it's finally getting going, but it's better than never getting going.

I get the feeling this show would have worked better as one big release, rather than as a weekly release, as that would allow for everyone to enjoy the plot in one go, rather than have to make sense of the slow burn.

I thought Majors was a revelation in the final episode of season one, but I couldn’t get with his performance in this episode. It just felt so much like a performance, incredibly self indulgent, like nobody turned to him and said ‘turn it down 20%’ 

His little show on stage seemed to go on forever, and went from ‘haha, this is interesting’ to ‘Jesus is this still going’ pretty quickly.

Otherwise a fun episode.

In fairness, I guess Majors has been told he may end up playing dozens of different Kangs so he needs to create space for it.

I enjoyed it too, although I still think the show needs to buckle down and explain what the stakes are and focus. You’ll notice the Worlds Fair stuff was all a branched timeline, implying this isn’t how Timely originally got so smart. But I assume the kid is ‘our’ Kang, that he’s always born in the 19th century. Hard to see how he would ever go on to become any Conqueror / He Who Remains without TVA intervention. 

I’m really hoping we don’t get the same idea we have with Lokis, that someone who clearly has different genes and a different name is just “a Kang” for some reason. 

41 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I swear it said sacred timeline when Renslayer first arrived at the earlier time period, and then was a seperate timeline later on. I might be wrong.

Yea that’s correct, so leaving the manual was what created the branch. Although thinking about it, there’s no reason at all that the sacred timeline has to be the one that HWR is from. So the sacred timeline isn’t a timeline that contains 1 Kang, it’s a timeline that contains 0. Now that HWR remains has been killed, it looks like he’s set into motion a sequence of events that opens up all these other Kangs (Ravonna leaving the manual), to presumably create himself again.

I still don’t really get why he didn’t just … not do everything in Season 1 (manipulating Loki and Sylvie to end up killing him), and just take the manual himself. Same effect, but he stays alive.

5 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

In fairness, I guess Majors has been told he may end up playing dozens of different Kangs so he needs to create space for it.

Yeah, I get that, and I can see what he's doing with this specific manifestation. He needs to create a tension between Timely seeming vulnerable, but also show the egotistical, ruthless side underneath, the part that could lead to him becoming a danger to the multiverse, in order that the viewer isn't totally sure how this will go and isn't 100% against Timely from the start.

So he's doing this very affected speech, like a man suppressing a stutter, and awkward body language to go with that, but underneath there's the part that reacts to the idea of partnership with scorn, which is when he speaks most fluently and with real emotion. It's good. He just needs to reign it in a bit.