US Politics: He's so indicted, he just can't abide by it...

Mindwalker

The above reminds me a lot of my mother in law having a slight stroke. Her face became more rigid, especially on one side, she appeared completely not there, could not respond at all and looked real distressed. 

If that's the case he really shouldn't be out there talking or doing anything. 

21 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nothing will ever beat the pic of Michele Bachmann going down hard on a corndog.

For me the worst will always be octopus and squid. You can feel the tentacles crawling around inside you. 

Now, I was just starting to like you and then you go and say something stupid about my favorite food - Calamari.  

Judge holds Giuliani liable in Georgia election workers’ defamation case and orders him to pay fees

A federal judge on Wednesday held Rudy Giuliani liable in a defamation lawsuit brought by two Georgia election workers who say they were falsely accused of fraud, entering a default judgment against the former New York City mayor and ordering him to pay tens of thousands of dollars in lawyers’ fees.

U.S. District Judge Beryl Howell said the punishment was necessary because Giuliani had ignored his duty as a defendant to turn over information requested by election workers Ruby Freeman and her daughter, Wandrea’ ArShaye Moss, as part of their lawsuit. (...)

“Nothing can restore all we lost, but today’s ruling is yet another neutral finding that has confirmed what we have known all along: that there was never any truth to any of the accusations about us and that we did nothing wrong. We were smeared for purely political reasons, and the people responsible can and should be held accountable,” they said. ...

https://apnews.com/article/giuliani-georgia-election-workers-defamation-lawsuit-9b561a195fb74d991abc89d1b6587d66

Edited by Mindwalker

1 hour ago, Tears of Lys said:

Now, I was just starting to like you and then you go and say something stupid about my favorite food - Calamari.  

Calamari is okay. I was thinking more of something my buddy brought back from Japan (he's Japanese and would spend his summers there with his grandparents when we were kids). It was some kind of dried squid tentacles.    

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

In more news from Arizona, specifically Maricopa County, the Valley of the Sun, the Republican party apparatus has been riddled with Trumpistas and other parasites from the National Republican Party suffering from cranial-rectal inversions.

Thank you for this detailed report from Arizona, which is not the first that I've found extremely informative.  I note that it is already somewhat out of date with the news Blake Masters is planning to challenge Kari Lake for the GOP nomination!

Interestingly, Rachel Mitchell is the one who was "the female prosecutor" of legend at the Kavanaugh hearings.  

5 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Bonus points: it's often deep fried.

On 8/25/2023 at 10:26 PM, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

But otherwise you shouldn't be very shocked when you have a personality contest to decide who runs the nation get decided by the person people find funny or entertaining and not the person who is actually good at running thjngs.

I’d much prefer evil people be incompetent and evil than evil and competent.

I’m not an accerlerationist, but I do think there’s a benefit in having the most extreme looking part, most bungling, most coarse, part of a political party the face of the party. An not insignificant amount of liberals would have been less vitriolic to trump’s presidency if Trump acted a bit more classy and prudent when pushing for fascism like Desantis,who knows how exploit many liberals charity(they can’t be all bad we can find a compromise ) and ego(my rhetoric and big ideas naturally will win the way ) and reactionary desires, trump would still probably be president. 

1 hour ago, Gaston de Foix said:

...I note that it is already somewhat out of date with the news Blake Masters is planning to challenge Kari Lake for the GOP nomination...

Yes, and his parents are both incredible blowhards in our local district, as they live about a quarter mile from us.  If the LD4 kept them off the agenda, meetings would end 90 minutes earlier.

He was best buds with the Kari Lake folks, and they liked him because of his Peter Thiel money, so it will be fun when the knives come out.  All of them can go jump in a lake as far as I am concerned.

So many of these Trump Republicans like the Masters seem to think that political party meetings are the time to talk endlessly about their perceived enemies, listing all the bad characteristics that make these enemies so evil.  But that is definitively not what the purpose of the meetings is; the purpose of a district meeting is to get stuff done.

I think that this first started to be a problem in the days of Bill Clinton's presidency.  We all agreed that Clinton was an immoral person, and no one needed to spend any time in discussion on this point.  But the Ralph Reed weirdos who started showing up in that era would blather on about Clinton and his policies and his behavior.  And they were literally preaching to the choir - no one in the room needed to hear this, it was just a waste of oxygen.  One fond memory I have of Beau Buford is him telling one of them to shut the hell up.

Anyways, this constant culture war nonsense infects them to the point where they waste all the time in a district meeting telling each other who their enemies are and why those enemies are so bad.  Again, no one in the room needs to hear this, it is just a waste of time, and entirely negative.

I’ve yet to see a leftist or liberal media personality attempt to build bridges with the far-right on a specific issues around class or nationality that didn’t eventually radicalize to being indistinguishable from a far right mouth piece and pull their audience over into being reactionaries.

@Varysblackfyre321

Jimmy Dore is a nobody right-wing crank.   Is it really worth finding these only-online fringey cringey guys and boosting them with links here?  The only people that follow his shit the last few years are the kind of people who listen to Joe Rogan.  

3 minutes ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

@Varysblackfyre321

Jimmy Dore is a nobody right-wing crank.   Is it really worth finding these only-online fringey cringey guys and boosting them with links here?  The only people that follow his shit the last few years are the kind of people who listen to Joe Rogan.  

Fair question. I do think he provides a good example of how a disregard of social justice issues in the name of class-unity(which can appeal to many a disaffected lefty) could fester into reactionary thought. 

Joe Rogan’s audience can be pretty diverse in terms of their political backgrounds.

11 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I’d much prefer evil people be incompetent and evil than evil and competent.

I’m not an accerlerationist, but I do think there’s a benefit in having the most extreme looking part, most bungling, most coarse, part of a political party the face of the party. An not insignificant amount of liberals would have been less vitriolic to trump’s presidency if Trump acted a bit more classy and prudent when pushing for fascism like Desantis,who knows how exploit many liberals charity(they can’t be all bad we can find a compromise ) and ego(my rhetoric and big ideas naturally will win the way ) and reactionary desires, trump would still probably be president. 

That’s… how… we… get… people… like… Trump.  

They might lose.  But when they win… it really… really… really sucks.  No.

When George Santos was Brasilian in his native land ... which he denies, and says never happened, it's all made up  However, one inevitably inquires, how could anyone make up this?  Photos are great! He made the bestest of drag queens.  The Queens of Drag there even say so -- except, when he performed.  Nobody applauded. These photos should be used in the primary by those primarying him. Plus fotos of him holding hands with MTG!

For George Santos, a life in Brazil at odds with his GOP politics

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/08/31/george-santos-brazil/

Trump, Under Oath, Says He Averted ‘Nuclear Holocaust’
During a deposition in his civil case, the former president offered a series of defenses, digressions and meandering explanations of his political and professional dealings.

"The transcript shows a combative Mr. Trump, who was named as a defendant in the case alongside his company and three of his children, at times barely allowing lawyers to get a word in. The former president frequently seems personally offended by the idea that his net worth is being questioned."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/30/nyregion/trump-deposition-excerpts.html

... Donald J. Trump sat for a seven-hour interview with the New York attorney general’s office in April, part of the civil fraud case against him and his company. ....

Alabama attorney general says he has right to prosecute people who facilitate travel for out-of-state abortions

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/31/politics/alabama-attorney-general-abortion-prosecute/index.html

Alabama’s Republican attorney general said in a court filing that he has the right to prosecute people who make travel arrangements for pregnant women to have out-of-state abortions.

In a court filing Monday, attorneys for Attorney General Steve Marshall wrote that providing transportation for women in Alabama to leave the state to get an abortion could amount to a “criminal conspiracy.”

The court filing comes in response to lawsuits against Marshall that was filed in July from two women’s health centers and Yellowhammer Fund, an organization which says it provides “financial and practical support for those who are pregnant and require assistance.” The plaintiffs argue that Marshall violated their constitutional rights by publicly stating that organizations which help pregnant women in Alabama get an abortion out of state could be criminally investigated.

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That’s… how… we… get… people… like… Trump.  

They might lose.  But when they win… it really… really… really sucks.  No.

If they were competent, it would no doubt suck even harder. If nothing else, a competent Trump might have found ways to steal the last election and might still be in the White House. Or, at the very least, a competent Trump would have found a way to have the Jan 6 insurrection without any possibility of being indicted for it.
Heck, a competent Trump might have won the election fair and square. My personal fear was always that he would generate an international conflict just before the election to benefit from the rally-round-the-flag effect.

I'm firmly in the camp that considers it better to have incompetent evil opponents. They might be a bit unpredictable and do a lot of damage through sheer stupidity, and their buffoonery might make them more popular, but in the final analysis they will almost always* be less dangerous than a more competent versions of themselves with the same political ideas and agenda.

*nuclear policy being the one possible exception.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

Alabama attorney general says he has right to prosecute people who facilitate travel for out-of-state abortions

Then it's no further step at all to round up people in other states where abortion is not criminalized.  Which is the ultimate objective right -- for the real ultimate objective, which is to put womeniz in their rightful place doing nothing but reproduction and laboring FOR MEN's comfort and economic and political ascendency.