The Small Stuff That Doesn't Need a Thread. #7

LongRider

12 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

One of the last heroes from WW 2, a fellow named Mike Sadler, just died at the age of 103. He was the last surviving member of the S.A.S., the Special Air Service, which was formed in 1941. He became an incredible navigator through the deserts of North Africa, leading the other members of the team to German bases where they planted bombs and blew up equipment, fuel, and aircraft before slipping away into the desert. There are lots of stories on the internet, I won’t try to repeat the stories.

The S.A.S.was the model for various special forces units in armies around the world.

The BBC recently did a series about the unit called SAS: Rogue Heroes. I haven’t seen it, I don’t think it’s been picked up by anyone in Canada. If you remember the old tv series, The Rat Patrol, I suspect it was based on some of the exploits of the SAS.

eta: I’m just noting here that the SAS was part of the British forces, in case you didn’t know. Sadler died in a nursing home in Cambridge.

Rogue Heroes was on Netflix last year here in Canada. I watched it.

19 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I don’t have Netflix. Maybe the CBC will get it, or PBS.

It was quite good and stuck close to the facts.

Do you have attached bottle caps in your countries as well? let me put it mildly and say it isn’t quite the packaging revolution I was expecting in the 2020s. Or if I want to put it harshly, what an annoying, idiotic piece of crap invention, I hate it, do aluminum bottles, do glass bottles, do anything but, do better. Ffs. 

3 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Do you have attached bottle caps in your countries as well? let me put it mildly and say it isn’t quite the packaging revolution I was expecting in the 2020s. Or if I want to put it harshly, what an annoying, idiotic piece of crap invention, I hate it, do aluminum bottles, do glass bottles, do anything but, do better. Ffs. 

It's a particularly annoying piece of greenwashing.

On 1/9/2024 at 8:36 PM, Larry of the Lawn said:

Anyone in the US in a position to vote in any capacity on reducing funding for education should be required to spend an hour perusing the face book Flat Earther pages before doing so.  

You're too generous. They should have to go what Billy Madison went through to keep their seat. And they don't get to sleep with Sonya Blade at the end. Maybe the penguin, but we'll see. 

6 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Obviously preceded by Lemmy's death at the end of December 2015.

And followed by Carrie Fischer in late December 2016.  It was a very shit period. 

Desktop got hacked and I was locked out.  This was my day.  It ended well.  They got no money and I got my computer back.  Very very very low level hacker-scammers, which is why I was so suspicious, thus I was so lucky. 

But it did ruin my entire day. I'm still shaky from the four hours I -- and our Dear Savvy Friend, and his Dear Savvy Friend -- dealt with it. They think, as these guys, and their infamous scam, we ran them out of time.  They couldn't afford the bandwidth and time on somebody who wasn't falling for it, they had to move on to the next victim.  I.e. they weren't producing their mandated hourly income.

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Desktop got hacked and I was locked out.  This was my day.  It ended well.  They got no money and I got my computer back.  Very very very low level hacker-scammers, which is why I was so suspicious, thus I was so lucky. 

But it did ruin my entire day. I'm still shaky from the four hours I -- and our Dear Savvy Friend, and his Dear Savvy Friend -- dealt with it. They think, as these guys, and their infamous scam, we ran them out of time.  They couldn't afford the bandwidth and time on somebody who wasn't falling for it, they had to move on to the next victim.  I.e. they weren't producing their mandated hourly income.

This sounds like a proper nightmare, sorry you had to go through it.

I never did receive my purchase made with Amazon Prime and the status went to Problem Occurred for a while there. Next thing you know the status was Refund Issued and now I get to wait for a couple of days for that! I guess Amazon was good to me because I never did have to do anything about it, but I do not think I am going to be purchasing online often anymore. Instead I am going to take advantage of living with my parents as to go shopping with my Mom (and also go out on my own). I do not do those things often enough, so I guess this gives me an excuse to make a difference in my life.