The Small Stuff That Doesn't Need a Thread. #7

LongRider

16 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Now, I know BK wouldn’t have given him anything remotely like that kind of money, but if his wages had been living wages maybe his life and the lives of his children would have been a lot less hand to mouth.

100%.  I know something similar has been meme-ified before, but you read about some 10 year old kid raising $20k to pay for the first round of their mother's chemotherapy... That's not a touching and inspirational story, it's horrifying.  We shouldn't have to be crowd fund healthcare and living, but that's where we're at.    

Turns out my ex-girlfriend from Barcelona is married. She just dropped the news into whatsapp as if it was nothing.

So, can anyone recommend a nice, trendy hotel in Barcelona? Preferably in the Gothic Quarter, with at least 4 stars.

Edited by Spockydog

15 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I think they do, but there are probably some loopholes to get around it.

Casts summon @Mlle. Zabzie. Attack! 

Not my area.  May be classified as a “gift” rather than “income” so in the estate and gift regime rather than the income tax regime, but honestly not sure, don’t have enough facts, and not worth going to the rabbithole tonight.  

6 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Turns out my ex-girlfriend from Barcelona is married. She just dropped the news into whatsapp as if it was nothing.

So, can anyone recommend a nice, trendy hotel in Barcelona? Preferably in the Gothic Quarter, with at least 4 stars.

:huh:

So many ways to interpret this...

On 1/23/2024 at 8:43 AM, Larry of the Lawn said:

100%.  I know something similar has been meme-ified before, but you read about some 10 year old kid raising $20k to pay for the first round of their mother's chemotherapy... That's not a touching and inspirational story, it's horrifying.  We shouldn't have to be crowd fund healthcare and living, but that's where we're at.    

Such a spot on comment.

Every time I see these dinners and raffles for Health Care victims Im unable to get past the absurdity of how catastrophic illness can so easily wipe out a middle class families savings and how its just mind numbingly accepted as a cost of the business of living in the U.S. 

I cant unfuck out of my head how offensive I find those charity events that should not even be necessary when we examine the amount of our GDP we dedicate to Healthcare spending in this country.

It is this era's equivalent to lynchings, this era's normalization of true crime right in my face every day and not a damn thing is done about it.

Oh yeah a spaghetti dinner fundraiser that'll take care of everything.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

13 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

:huh:

So many ways to interpret this...

Lol.

I'm attending a trade show in Barcelona, which I posted to social. My ex-girlfriend, whom as far as I knew was still living in Hanover, DM's me to say she's living in BCN, has loads of space, why not stay with her for a few days and save on hotel costs...

Had no idea she was married. As far as I can tell they are not estranged. Whatever the circumstances, that's not how I roll. Hence the need for a hotel. 

I think I might stay here. Looks really cool.

16 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Lol.

I'm attending a trade show in Barcelona, which I posted to social. My ex-girlfriend, whom as far as I knew was still living in Hanover, DM's me to say she's living in BCN, has loads of space, why not stay with her for a few days and save on hotel costs...

Had no idea she was married. As far as I can tell they are not estranged. Whatever the circumstances, that's not how I roll. Hence the need for a hotel. 

That Junior Suite is a bit of me, that is. 

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how low those room rates are. 

It might be different in Barcelona being the hottest destination all the time, but, like everything else, five star hotels in Spain for people with dollars are affordable, and far less than a 2-3 star in US destination cities.  This particularly so in the off season.  We just booked a buncha rooms for our people in Southern Spain for end of Feb. - Mid-March, so up-to-date - not last year's info.

BUT!!!! though these Andalusan cities are World Heritage site cities, and totally wonderful, they aren't Barcelona, and don't have the year-round traffic Barcelona has, particularly for conventions and trade shows, etc.

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Lol.

With your new business I expected you to be renting out the Sagrada Familia for duration. Pocket change, fah!

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

That Junior Suite is a bit of me, that is. 

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how low those room rates are. 

I booked myself a deluxe king. Four nights for EUR790, including breakfast and limo transfers. That's pretty good, considering the standard of hotel and its central BCN location. London would be three times as much.

Anyway, this will be my first 'break' since I started caring for Chops in 2008. It's going to be weird, and slightly exhilarating, having nobody but myself to worry about for a few days.

Gonna make a mini-break of it. Treating myself to BA business class, valet parking at LHR, and I just ordered some fancy leather luggage from Selfridges.

Going full-CEO for the weekend.

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

It does look very cool! I love Barcelona, such a fantastic city! 

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Think Barcelona's my favorite city that I've visited in Europe, and I've somehow managed to visit a few very nice ones.

I've never been. Everyone I know who's been there has absolutely loved it. The city looks absolutely wonderful, and I'm guessing the weather's going to be glorious.

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I've never been. Everyone I know who's been there has absolutely loved it. The city looks absolutely wonderful, and I'm guessing the weather's going to be glorious.

It is wonderful, exciting, gorgeous! I hope you'll have some free time b/c there's just so much to see you could spend months there and not see everything. 

25 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Spocky, the only thing Spanish cities are really notorious for is pickpockets. Do be careful!