US Politics: Dominoes falling, GOP failing, what a time to be alive!

LongRider

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

POTUS polls this far out are pretty worthless, but it is still surprising that right now more than half of the general electorate is still well disposed enough towards Trump to say they would vote for him or are not yet sure how they would vote in Trump v Biden.

Why is that surprising? Surely after 7 years of this bullshit the American capacity for sucking shouldn't be surprising any more.

In 2016 people predicted there were quiet Trumpists unwilling to say they are going to vote for him. They don';t seem to be quiet any more.

They already disproved the 'shy Trump voter'. The big error was in predicting how many people of certain demographics would turn out to vote. Trump got a lot more people who don't typically vote to vote for him. That's also true in 2020. 

They've also run this exact race for reals already so both candidates are known quantities.

Not exactly. Biden as POTUS was not a known quantity. How Biden does as a second coming of Obama vs how Biden does with 4 years of his policies and events is very different. 

In a sane world at this exact moment in the electoral cycle and with the crime and fraud swirling around Trump his numbers should be in the single digits, they are not anywhere close to that and I say dismiss them at your peril.

I don't think anyone's exactly dismissing them, only noting that poll numbers out this far - when neither candidate has really engaged and when there is over a year of various geopolitical, criminal and domestic events to go - is a fool's game. We already know that the overwhelming majority of people will be voting based on partisan lean regardless of anything else. It doesn't really matter what Trump says or does because Trump is a Republican. Just like it doesn't matter that much what Biden does, as Biden is a Democrat. 

40 minutes ago, LongRider said:

It wouldn't.  I did find a small press report though, careful, don't slip on the flop sweat.  

"Amid the impasse, McCarthy is floating a plan that would reinstall him as speaker and make Jordan, a conservative Trump ally, the assistant speaker, according to three sources familiar with McCarthy’s pitch.

Asked why the idea — which lacks key details, like how it would be enacted and whether it could even gain enough traction to happen — was being floated now, a GOP lawmaker replied: “We’re desperate.”

Tom Emmer withdraws from House speaker race hours after GOP nomination: Live updates (nbcnews.com)

Yeah, scrounging around a bit I have no idea how it would work if McCarthy and Jordan were actually friends (my understanding is they never were and now they hate each other). It just doesn't seem feasible under the best circumstances right now.

As to Emmer, it's funny to see MTG was one of the holdouts that stabbed him the chest. Just get it over with and make Ivanka or Jared Speaker. 

The Franklin Tennessee Nazi sympathizer appears to be losing pretty badly in her race for mayor along with all the Trumpanista “At Large” alderman candidates.

Well done Phil Williams!

https://x.com/nc5philwilliams/status/1716971675311321409?s=46

How the ‘uniparty’ myth shut the House down

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/24/politics/republicans-house-uniparty-what-matters/index.html

But it’s important to note that it was born of a fringe protest meant to demonstrate there’s no difference at all between the two parties.

What is ‘uniparty?’
The term “uniparty” has been a favorite of people like Steve Bannon, the former Trump White House official turned podcaster. He’s been using it for years in conjunction with the similarly cynical idea of Washington as a swamp that needs to be drained or the belief in a deep state that needs to be rooted out.

Bannon’s goal is to mobilize support for dismantling the current version of the US government.

The term also features prominently in the more-conservative-than-Fox-News media environment – networks like One America News, known as OAN, and Salem Radio.

The other reason polls at this point are largely meaningless is also because of the huge number of undecideds that are typical at for this point in time. When the popular vote margins tend to be ~5 points at best, having 15% undecideds leaves you with not too much predictive power. The question is whether they'll feel the economy is reasonable enough next year to counteract whatever headaches Trump brings.

Turnout is also important, of course, as are some subtle 'swing state' micro issues. But the reason I'm always concerned with a Trump candidacy has to do with his 'high risk, lower probability' compared to another's 'lower risk, higher probability' candidacy. 

Edited by IheartIheartTesla

Jenna Ellis: I take full responsibility. Also, it absolutely wasn't my fault. I'm an upstanding Christian and totes ethical and stuff. I was younger than now and trusted eversy sleazy crazy lawyer I met in the WH. *sobbing uncontrollably* - Cool, immunity! Next?

PS: I'm holding out hope that Meadows doesn't get full immunity, but who knows at this point.

7 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Jenna Ellis: I take full responsibility. Also, it absolutely wasn't my fault. I'm an upstanding Christian and totes ethical and stuff. I was younger than now and trusted eversy sleazy crazy lawyer I met in the WH. *sobbing uncontrollably* - Cool, immunity! Next?

PS: I'm holding out hope that Meadows doesn't get full immunity, but who knows at this point.

Before he was Trump’s Chief of Staff, he was my representative. I would love nothing more to see him in jail. 

I don'T really care about Jenna Ellis, pardon Dr. Jenna Ellis, expert in constitutional law.

She is not that interesting, a bad lawyer (bad as in of poor quality, not poor character, altho, those are not mutually exclusive). She isn't high profile, and given her resume strikes me as genuinely dumb. Chesebro getting off easily I find more annoying, as him and Eastman were reportedly the legal architects of the subversion efforts. Anyway, the defendents that need to get hit hard are Trump, Eastman and Clark, oh and Meadows ofc. I assume Chesebro got off lightly to gring the deathbell for Eastman. For Meadows to get off lightly, he must have had the goods on the ringleader (Trump).

Powell and Giuliani are clowns, who will (or in Giuliani's case already have) lose their law license, and they will get bankrupted by the legal bills and civil suits.  Tbh, I can see Rudy offing himself before the end of those trials. He didn't bother to fight for his law license, he just forfeited on the defamation trial brought by Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss. Last I heard, I didn't even cooperate with the financial discovery requests  (thus limiting the financial damages he will have to cough up; I think Scot or one of our other resident legalese translators can explain how bad of an idea that is, and Giuliani has to know this). His public image from "America's Mayor" to that creep from the Borat movie with leaking hair dye. You almost  feel sorry for him. And the cases by Smartmatic and Dominion are still ongoing.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

56 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

This speaker vote nonsense, does everyone get a turn?  A bit communist if you ask me. 

I think technically you and the horsey can be Speaker, so take a number.

56 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I don'T really care about Jenna Ellis, pardon Dr. Jenna Ellis, expert in constitutional law.

Why do people keep calling her Dr? She's a turd lawyer and doesn't have a PhD as far as I know. At least call her a Doctorb.

How likely is it that we will start seeing House Republicans in "Biden" districts switching parties if this farce goes on much longer?

I'm guessing there is a lot of pissed-off major donors behind the scenes who want to see aid for Israel and continued government funding passed at any cost.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think technically you and the horsey can be Speaker, so take a number.

Why do people keep calling her Dr? She's a turd lawyer and doesn't have a PhD as far as I know. At least call her a Doctorb.

Irony doesn't work on the internet, I get that. However, when I call that diimwit, whom her superiors tried to fire from her job at traffic court for incompetence, then you cam assume a smug grin on my part. Ultimately, it was concluded, that she performed the job to the best of her abilities.

1 minute ago, Gorn said:

How likely is it that we will start seeing House Republicans in "Biden" districts switching parties if this farce goes on much longer?

I'm guessing there is a lot of pissed-off major donors behind the scenes who want to see aid for Israel and continued government funding passed at any cost.

I take it, the next floor vote failed?