US Politics the Biden's age a nothing burger edition

DireWolfSpirit

22 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Anyone claiming they are going to vote for RFKjr is fucking with the pollsters.

Oh Scot, after all this time you still underestimate the rank dumbshittery of the American electorate...

The two matters that matter to Dems where they won't change their minds about coming out to vote are 1) abortion; 2) Israel-Palestinians.  Will these two matters cancel out enough to elect you all know who?
I am one of those who fear it shall be, because you all know why.

Played.  Played big time.

Edited by Zorral

22 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The two matters that matter to Dems where they won't change their minds about coming out to vote are 1) abortion; 2) Israel-Palestinians.  Will these two matters cancel out enough to elect you all know who?
I am one of those who fear it shall be, because you all know why.

Played.  Played big time.

Between the two, Abortion in the end will win out overwhelming. In general, Domestic issue will override a International issue. Far more people are affected by abortion directly than what is going on with Israel-Palestine.

Georgia election workers seek ‘tens of millions’ from Giuliani
If the jury agrees, “it will be the end of Mr. Giuliani,” his lawyer said.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/12/11/georgia-election-workers-giuliani-00131197

Two Georgia election workers are seeking “tens of millions of dollars” in damages from Rudy Giuliani for defamation, a punishment that Giuliani’s lawyer said would be so severe it would amount to the “civil equivalent of the death penalty.”

Attorneys for Ruby Freeman and her daughter Shaye Moss — who were deluged by threats and attacks for years after Giuliani and Donald Trump falsely accused them of manipulating ballots in 2020 — revealed the rough damages request for the first time Monday at the opening of a jury trial aimed at determining the proper compensation for the harms they suffered.

“Consider a verdict that will send a message,” said Michael Gottlieb, one of the poll workers’ attorneys. “In the United States of America, behavior like Rudy Giuliani’s is not the inevitable result of politics. It is not acceptable and will not be tolerated.”

Freeman plans to take the stand and describe emotional pain caused by Giuliani’s attacks, including nightmares about her and her family being killed, one of their lawyers said. And Moss intends to describe walking out of a job interview at Chick-fil-A — after leaving her eight-year career as an election worker — when the manager confronted her with news articles describing Giuliani’s false allegations.

24 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

Between the two, Abortion in the end will win out overwhelming. In general, Domestic issue will override a International issue. Far more people are affected by abortion directly than what is going on with Israel-Palestine.

You know this -- why?

The Big Donors aren't interested personally in abortion.  They are very interested in this other matter.

In the meantime the fascists are suppressing voting everywhere.

Way I look at it, Trump lost the popular vote twice - and his solitary electoral college victory was a fluke - several tens of thousands of disgusted D voters staying home. Right now, conservative movement is faltering at best - their performance during the midterms was marginal at best, and whenever one of their pet projects (abortion) comes up for statewide votes, they tend to lose. Climate change is going to start hitting southern Red States hard in the form of increased flood/hurricane damage combined with the GOP favoring insurance companies over people, plus actually living under Fascism (Florida) sucks, even for conservatives. 

So, Trump wins the nomination and loses the primary.

More interesting option: Trump wins the nomination then has a fatal cardiac event just weeks before the general election, forcing the GOP to put forth the likes of Haley or DeSantis at the last minute.

I have no particular confidence in the American people. But I do have confidence in the electorate's short memories. And the reversion to the mean the closer we get to election day. 

The polls reflect current and rage. They're well merited, and they'll certainly persist in some corners, but current polls will not reflect anything like the final election result. There is too much time, and it isn't going to be boring, slow-news time. Its going to be filled with Trump prosecutions, more details on his Day 1 Dictatorship, and I'd be gobsmacked if a Muslim Ban 2.0 (4.0, technically, I think?) doesn't pop up sometime soon in Trump's rhetoric. 

5 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

More interesting option: Trump wins the nomination then has a fatal cardiac event just weeks before the general election, forcing the GOP to put forth the likes of Haley or DeSantis at the last minute.

Please. Covid didn't take the guy. This isn't gonna happen. This simulation isn't designed for such convenience. 

33 minutes ago, Zorral said:

You know this -- why?

The Big Donors aren't interested personally in abortion.  They are very interested in this other matter.

In the meantime the fascists are suppressing voting everywhere.

Abortion, which is part of Reproductive Healthcare, in the end affects 50% of the populace directly and the most of the other 50% indirectly. By simple numbers more people are impacted by that than Israel/Palestine. 

Big Donors are still people. People who either directly or indirectly impacted by Abortion.

I am told constantly people vote what will impact them directly, and far more are impacted by Abortion than Israel/Palestine.

So SCOTUS is going to decide on if a former president can be prosecuted for things they did while president. You think this SCOTUS will go for such a monumental precedent? The bench is about as stacked as it can get in favour of this former president, though if a Republican gets in in 2024 there's a good chance it could become even more stacked.

10 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Anyone claiming they are going to vote for RFKjr is fucking with the pollsters.

I suspect there are lots of people who think they might vote that way, but I also suspect most of those will change their minds by the time Election Day actually arrives. 

Seriously, we shouldn't be paying too much attention to polls taken nearly a year out. If these polls are happening in September 2024, then I'll worry. 

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So SCOTUS is going to decide on if a former president can be prosecuted for things they did while president. You think this SCOTUS will go for such a monumental precedent? The bench is about as stacked as it can get in favour of this former president, though if a Republican gets in in 2024 there's a good chance it could become even more stacked.

Only if someone loses a case where this issue is raised, loses their appeal of right, then petitions for cert on that question,  and the SCOTUS agrees to hear such a case.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

A Texas Case Shows That Abortion Ban Exemptions Are a Sham

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/11/opinion/texas-abortion-ban.html

A Country of "Walking Coffins"
Kate Cox is leaving Texas to get an abortion. But what if there was no place to go?

https://jessica.substack.com/

12 hours ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

Big Donors are still people

Not people as we know people-- they are about their eternal multi-national, off shore power.  The Middle East is of enormous account to them.  Abortion, the state of the average woman's health, is absolutely not.

So many of you continue unfathomably are thinking as though the voting system and system of the courts, justice, police, is what it was 50 years ago.  They Big Donors have corrupted them immeasurably.

They know very well that the average voter -- and particularly the average female voter -- is against Their policies 100%, which is why They are now working relentlessly to make voting and elections irrelevant -- and have been doing so for decades.  They cannot win with the vote, so elections and voting must be eliminated. Numerous of Them have said so, in public, numerous times.  Numerous times, when They have lost, They just ignore the election: see, o, you know Missouri, WI, and by golly January 6 2020.

Edited by Zorral

5 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I agree that the court is stacked and that Trump has much more party, popular, money and media support than for example Nixon had, but if the SCOTUS rules that the president is above the law it would also mean that the president is above the SCOTUS, which would mean that they lose power, they would basically rule against themselves and their power which is not in their interest. Now would some of them do that? Most likely, does the majority of the SCOTUS do that IDK, atm I hope not… if Trump wins though he can just stack the court or ignore it or whatever so they might rule in his favour…

7 minutes ago, Bironic said:

I agree that the court is stacked and that Trump has much more party, popular, money and media support than for example Nixon had, but if the SCOTUS rules that the president is above the law it would also mean that the president is above the SCOTUS, which would mean that they lose power, they would basically rule against themselves and their power which is not in their interest. Now would some of them do that? Most likely, does the majority of the SCOTUS do that IDK, atm I hope not… if Trump wins though he can just stack the court or ignore it or whatever so they might rule in his favour…

What about if Biden or any generic dem wins? I mean, wouldn’t this very conservative SCOTUS worry about enabling not only trump or another republican, but all future presidents?

IF SCOTUS does rule that Trump is not immune, at least one Trump appointed judge will have to join the majority opinion, since I don't expect Alito or Thomas to do anything but declare that Trump is the God Emperor, above all laws. 

Assuming we come to such a point, how will Trump respond to that? Will Gorsuch/Kavanaugh/Barrett have been a liberal mole all along? Captured by the woke media? Be branded betrayers of MAGA who have gone over to the Deep State?

5 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

What about if Biden or any generic dem wins? I mean, wouldn’t this very conservative SCOTUS worry about enabling not only trump or another republican, but all future presidents?

Why would they care? They can always rule against it then. 

Y'all keep thinking that precedence matters as far as the SCOTUS goes. We've already shown that it doesn't matter in the least. Nor does consistency. All that matters is power.