Wheel of Time 5: The Lion In Winter [book spoilers]

SpaceChampion

8 hours ago, Slurktan said:

They very well could just be making that the price for Mat getting memories.  Or the rescue gets moved up to Shadow Rising.  As Thom doesn't seem to be coming back I doubt that plotline will be in regardless.

Thom not coming back…? S1 is very forgettable, so I can’t say I remember exactly how they handled the fight/flight from Whitebridge (if that was where it happened in the show) but I cannot remember it as him dying in the show? 

There are lots of changes from the books (that I believe is undisputed and then one can always argue to death what works and not works), but cutting Thom would be a very major change that I find hard to find a good argument for (sure his arc could of course be changed for better or worse as much else, but not cutting him) 

STRADOWSKI: Well, you can tell him I'm on the Dragon diet. Like you said, I'm also very excited to finally see some Lan/Rand swordfighting. I think it's time.

'The Wheel of Time's Josha Stradowski on Becoming the Most Dangerous Man Alive

He also discusses how Rand's relationship with Lanfear changes him and drops a few hints about what fans can look forward to in Season 3.

Rand and Lanfear's complicated relationship continues in Season 3, says Wheel of Time's Josha Stradowski, now that she's revealed herself as "a friend of the Devil."
 The balance between Rand's Two Rivers upbringing and his Dragon Reborn persona is a gradual journey affected by the people surrounding him.
 Season 3 of The Wheel of Time will reveal more glimpses of what Rand can become, and Stradowski says he's aware of where the character ends up in the story.

https://collider.com/the-wheel-of-time-season-2-josha-stradowski/

• 4 weeks later...

Rumors of season 3 and possible storyline mergers. Not sure if I need to spoiler this, but I'll do it anyway.

Spoiler

Based on actors on sets during season 3 filming, Wot Up! (theory described on Winteriscoming) places Mat in Tanchico during season 3 instead of the Aiel Waste. Given the similarity between the Tanchico and Ebu Dar storylines, it's possible they're adding Mat to the first mission Nyneave and Elayne go on.

While I don't mind the merger (as they were pretty repetitive) and the possibility of skipping the whole Bowl of Winds subplot*, I was really looking forward to seeing Mat in Rhuidean get his his hat, spear, scar, fox-head medallion, and memories of strategy.

If true, this means two things: The "spear" he fashioned last season is his actual spear. And blowing the horn is what gives him his past memories, not the Aelfinn/Finn three wishes. 

But this might mean he goes back to the Tower with the three Accepted and has his duel with Gawain and Galad... so yay? Good trade or no?

The giveth and it takeths away, I guess.

*I actually hated this subplot more than Faile kidnapping for some reason. 

35 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Rumors of season 3 and possible storyline mergers. Not sure if I need to spoiler this, but I'll do it anyway.

Reveal hidden contents

Based on actors on sets during season 3 filming, Wot Up! (theory described on Winteriscoming) places Mat in Tanchico during season 3 instead of the Aiel Waste. Given the similarity between the Tanchico and Ebu Dar storylines, it's possible they're adding Mat to the first mission Nyneave and Elayne go on.

While I don't mind the merger (as they were pretty repetitive) and the possibility of skipping the whole Bowl of Winds subplot*, I was really looking forward to seeing Mat in Rhuidean get his his hat, spear, scar, fox-head medallion, and memories of strategy.

If true, this means two things: The "spear" he fashioned last season is his actual spear. And blowing the horn is what gives him his past memories, not the Aelfinn/Finn three wishes. 

But this might mean he goes back to the Tower with the three Accepted and has his duel with Gawain and Galad... so yay? Good trade or no?

The giveth and it takeths away, I guess.

*I actually hated this subplot more than Faile kidnapping for some reason. 

Spoiler

I think if there's one plot line that absolutely wouldn't surprise me and maybe even deserves to be cut (no matter how much I like some portions of it), it's the snakes and foxes story. It's interesting but it definitely sticks out as somewhat extraneous when you have multiple different plot lines fighting for the limited time allotted in an adaptation. 

Also, Moiraine should've stayed dead, IMO.

The audition script for whom is likely Sammael was posted too.  He's going to involved with things in Tanchico.

https://www.wotseries.com/2024/01/17/scoop-a-small-forsaken-sneak-peek-in-season-3-audition-tape/

Spoiler

He's captured and has a convo with whoever captured him.

Unknown: Where is it?
Sammael: Five seconds. You can’t even wait five seconds for an answer. It’s disappointing.
Unknown: I agree. I’d read you were one of the greatest generals of your age. I’m surprised I was able to capture you so easily.
Sammael: I wasn’t the greatest general. I was a visionary, a pioneer, a conqueror. In my time, there were no armies. Hadn’t been for centuries. Knives were used for cooking, not killing. And as for military tactics, they’d all been long forgotten. I discovered the art of war. Me. I taught my people to be soldiers. I taught those soldiers to form armies. And I taught those armies to follow me.
Unknown: Well, they’re not here now, are they?
Sammael: They’re not. It’s just you and me
Unknown: I’m not afraid of you, Sammael. And you’ll answer my question eventually. Where is it? It’s all right. I can wait.
Sammael: That’s the thing, though, isn’t it. You can’t. Your magic holds me here. You can’t move from that spot. Can’t eat. Or breathe. Or sleep. Or shit. You can’t do any of the things you mortals have to do to stay alive. I’m not your prisoner. You’re mine. And if there’s one thing I’ve gotten rather good at these last 3000 years, it’s waiting. (laughs)

I think it likely the doorway ter'angreals will be used to go from Tanchico to Rhuidean.  Only question is if there is a world of the finns in between, or something else.

My fancasting based on this audition script rather than the books is Wes Chatham should play Sammael.

Edited by SpaceChampion

32 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

He’s too tall, Sammael always seemed like he had a Napoleon complex

In the books, he's above average in height, but wanted to be taller (maybe out of envy of LTT?). In fact, Googling around suggests he's 6', or 1.83m... which happens to be Chatham's height.