Watch, Watched, Watching: From Scott Civil Wars to Christmas Movie Wars

Veltigar

So The Crown has come to an end.

This last season was just.. a bit weird. I mentioned before that the closer it comes to modern day the less it feels like a historic drama and more it becomes a low grade soap. 

There are still some really good elements in it, a lot of the acting from established actors like Imelda Staunton is fantastic and they do seem to cover some of the events in a entertaining manner.

But then they do some bizarre shit

There was the 'Ghost of Princess Di' scenes which seemed like a really bad creative choice, but they doubled down on it with a sequence where the Queen dreams about Tony Blair becoming King. 

Then the final episode in which the Queen talks to past incarnations of herself, with previous actresses. I get what they were trying to do, but it's like nobody turned around during filming and thought 'is this tasteless?' or wondered whether it might be a bad idea. 

Clearly they are trying to treat the Queen with reverence and respect, but they totally fail at points, so instead it just seems crass and exploitative. 

5 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

My bad, but what’s with the cynicism against new Zack Snyder films on this forum? He’s definitely had many misses(biggest being Man of Steel IMO) but he’s also made some very good movies like 300 and Dawn of the Dead. At the very least he has his own distinctive style that makes him an interesting director.

I guess he just needs to hire another writer for his films. 

Hey, I'll watch anything that man makes. No matter how weird and discombobulated it might be, it'll still be *interesting*. And an interesting failure is more exciting to me personally than a mediocre success. 

5 hours ago, Kalbear said:

It's mostly that he's very well known for adapting other people's better work completely superficially and with only the goal being "make it look cool". Sucker Punch is probably the best distillation of Snyderism out there - a movie with no plot worth a damn that exists entirely to do cool set pieces. And that's fine! But it isn't original or bold or special. 

Just wait'll you see Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole. It's...something else. I STILL don't know what the f*ck that movie is about. But frell me is it wild.

I checked yesterday and out of thousands of audience score reviews for Rebel Moon only 5 were verified as actually having seen it.  So like a 0.05% verified rate or something like that.    Seems pretty stupid to allow the public to rate it before it's been released.  Brigading and review bombing has been a problem for years, so RT must think the "engagement" is good for them.  Its a wonder the studios don't try forcing them to fix that.

8 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

Fantasia, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, they were cartoons about fairy tale, they had no political content, the old Walt built up an empire Bob Iger is destroying 

I take you probably think we’d all be better off if we could put the whole world through a Time Machine and go back to the 1800s, or even better, the 1700s. :rolleyes:

28 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

Fantasia, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, they were cartoons about fairy tale, they had no political content, the old Walt built up an empire Bob Iger is destroying 

All of those films made alterations to their original stories to suit what Disney preferred or thought suited public sensibilities of the time.

33 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

All of them hideous relics of patriarchal tyranny and should be remade, ideally using poor quality CGI.

Man, I am not on here for one day and the board has basically torn itself to shreds with these pointless discussions...

Of course Top Gun: Maverick is awesome. For shame that I need to intervene again after stopping the Scott Civil Wars. I hope you all find it in your heart to be better in 2024.

6 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:
Spoiler

Kenneth Branagh’s character has kinky bum sex in that brothel on his way to the story’s climax. Emperor Palpatine never did that. 

I feel like that's a reveal that warrants spoiler tags :P

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

All of them hideous relics of patriarchal tyranny and should be remade, ideally using poor quality CGI.

And by playing the race card with the casting, because as a brown man I can ONLY relate and want to see brown people in these European folk tales dammit ! Remove all those scary,colonising whites! It’s gotta cater to modern sensibilities after all.

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

23 hours ago, Heartofice said:

How many movies get made with a more traditional conservative viewpoint? How many serve as a counterpoint to modern ‘woke’ movie making? 

what do you consider to be a woke movie? what would you consider to be a traditional conservative movie? for example could john wick be considere a "traditional" conservative viewpoint? or anything with the rock in it. what does a movie has to have to be a traditional conservative movie? the women must stay at home, and the man be the provider and defender of the house?  i guess i would like you to be more concrete on what you think a conservative movie looks like and what makes a woke movie woke.

30 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

And by playing the race card with the casting, because as a brown man I can ONLY relate and want to see brown people in these European folk tales dammit ! Remove all those scary,colonising whites! It’s gotta cater to modern sensibilities after all.

aww does seeing black and brown people in fairytales makes you mad? poor thing! 

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I take you probably think we’d all be better off if we could put the whole world through a Time Machine and go back to the 1800s, or even better, the 1700s. :rolleyes:

Do you mean when the Europeans were enslaved by the Ottomans and Berbers? 

There were an Arab slave trade, Barbary slave trade and Ottoman slave trade too. 

The human rights are an invention of the Western World, you have no human rights in North Korea, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan etc.

Edited by KingAerys_II

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

All of those films made alterations to their original stories to suit what Disney preferred or thought suited public sensibilities of the time.

They are based on European fairy tales.
Fantasia,Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty,Pinocchio and Snow White don't promote identity politics,then the works are excellent, most of Disney/Pixar works are bad.

37 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

aww does seeing black and brown people in fairytales makes you mad? poor thing! 

No I prefer seeing brown people in something like Mahabharata -my own country’s fairytale, rather than seeing them shoe horned into European folk tales. It’s insulting to both ethnicities frankly. 

Or how would you feel if Avatar the last air bender was cast completely with white people instead of Asians ? Cause that storys setting takes inspiration from Asian cultures and should have that ethnicity in them. Oh wait that happened… and we all saw the result.This is the same situation but with a different ethnic group and setting. 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

26 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

They are based on European fairy tales.
Fantasia,Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty,Pinocchio and Snow White don't promote identity politics,then the works are excellent, most of Disney/Pixar works are bad.

Yes, famously Pinocchio - a story about how a puppet wanted to be a real boy and not what he was - didn't promote identity politics. Yep, definitely makes sense there

8 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Yes, famously Pinocchio - a story about how a puppet wanted to be a real boy and not what he was - didn't promote identity politics. Yep, definitely makes sense there

lol, yeah you’d really need to be looking at the story through a 2023 lens to think the story is some sort of allegory for.. what are you trying to say? Gender?

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

lol, yeah you’d really need to be looking at the story through a 2023 lens to think the story is some sort of allegory for.. what are you trying to say? Gender?

It's an allegory for identity, obviously. What, you think that people before 2023 didn't want to be something they weren't born as? That kind of story is a mythological one that shows up again and again all over the place in cultures. 

But reframing Pinocchio as NOT being about identity and wanting to change what you are born as is a pretty edgelord way of looking at it. That's pretty new - just completely ignoring both the subtext and text and saying 'nope, it's just LITERALLY about a wooden puppet, nothing else here'.