Marvel: The Echo of Profitability

Rhom

5 hours ago, Jace, Extat said:

Is that Aliens vs Predator??? :wub:

You win the internet today.

It is. Hard to say but maybe aliens or predator could do a better job!

Either way, both Peltz and Iger are saying basically the same thing so it doesn’t really matter. Peltz is just using stronger language. 

Both think Disney has gone too far inserting ‘woke’ politics into its movies and should go back to just trying make them good again. 

I think you can over state how much the ‘woke’ stuff has on box office, the real reason their movies have been doing badly is that they just aren’t very good, and there is only so much mediocrity people are willing to pay for. 

The woke stuff fuels an entire industry of internet haters though, and certainly it’s not helping Disney by doing it, with Marvel and Star Wars you are just attacking your own fans which can never be a good business decision. 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Bad opinions on movies can include bad business opinions on movies.

Not an opinion. Two Black Panther films are in the rear view. They were clearly correct moves from a business perspective. Saying maybe they should have been done different or not at all is idiotic.

1 hour ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Scums a bit harsh, yeah Disney is in a shitty state right now, but Iger did preside over and was partly responsible for the golden era of Marvel and some of the Pixar movies.

Hes a much better studio head than say Kathleen Kennedy or David Zaslav

Disney's problem is this:

A big part of their business is, a) the existing franchise IP and, b) CBM's, in the form of the MCU. These things have been massive cash cows for them over the last decade or two. However, Both of these "cinematic phenomena" are starting to show weakness.  

Will that turn around? Maybe. Or maybe that trend continues. If it does, they are in serious trouble. 

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Not an opinion. Two Black Panther films are in the rear view. They were clearly correct moves from a business perspective. Saying maybe they should have been done different or not at all is idiotic.

Dunno why you’re under the impression opinions can’t be wrong and idiotic.

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Will that turn around? Maybe. Or maybe that trend continues. If it does, they are in serious trouble. 

Do you think that Deadpool & Wolverine is going to be a kind of litmus test or sampling of the water, in terms of giving studios some guidance around whether or not audiences are just kinda...tapped out on comicbook movies? 

6 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Do you think that Deadpool & Wolverine is going to be a kind of litmus test or sampling of the water, in terms of giving studios some guidance around whether or not audiences are just kinda...tapped out on comicbook movies? 

There are enough comic book movies that are still doing well (Spiderverse, Guardians, Spiderman) to show that if you make something people want to see then they will go and see it. Where it's falling down is just than we've been handed an avalanche of shit and mediocrity recently, and just because a movie features a superhero isn't going to be enough to get people to part with their money. 

If you just look at the roll call of recent comic book movies it's not hard to see where the problem is. 

5 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

The thing about those Horatio Alger type bios, they always leave out or diminish some important detail, like he married int

Did you miss the bit that he started working in the family business? He obviously did not come out of poverty.

But, a lot of people get windfalls in life. Most of them don't turn them into Fortune 100 corporations. So, yeah, he was a good businessman. Doesn't mean, as @DMC says, that this means he knows anything about the movie business.

Edited by Ran

To be fair to Peltz, all he said was "Why do I have to have a Marvel that’s all women? Not that I have anything against women, but why do I have to do that? Why can’t I have Marvels that are both? Why do I need an all-Black cast?". He even says you could make a Marvels movie! 

He doesn't seem to be suggesting you don't make Marvels or Black Panther movies, only that you don't have to make them in the way you made them. 

10 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Scums a bit harsh, yeah Disney is in a shitty state right now, but Iger did preside over and was partly responsible for the golden era of Marvel and some of the Pixar movies.

Hes a much better studio head than say Kathleen Kennedy or David Zaslav

Not really winning me over on Iger, when you bring up Kathleen Kennedy. Iger's the reason she still has her job, despite a very disappointing run with Star Wars.

3 hours ago, sifth said:

Not really winning me over on Iger, when you bring up Kathleen Kennedy. Iger's the reason she still has her job, despite a very disappointing run with Star Wars.

Actually George Lucas had appointed her just before selling, maybe Igers keeping her around cause of that ? Lucas is probably Disneys largest individual shareholder at this point...

2 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Actually George Lucas had appointed her just before selling, maybe Igers keeping her around cause of that ? Lucas is probably Disneys largest individual shareholder at this point...

Iger's keeping her around because by their metrics she's doing a pretty good job. People seem to forget that she's also responsible for things like Andor and Rogue One and the Mandalorian, and a lot of their licensing deals. 

But can we maybe, just once, not turn a topic about Marvel into bashing Kathleen Kennedy? Maybe? 

10 hours ago, Heartofice said:

There are enough comic book movies that are still doing well (Spiderverse, Guardians, Spiderman) to show that if you make something people want to see then they will go and see it. Where it's falling down is just than we've been handed an avalanche of shit and mediocrity recently, and just because a movie features a superhero isn't going to be enough to get people to part with their money. 

If you just look at the roll call of recent comic book movies it's not hard to see where the problem is. 

This is sort of true, but there were some bad MCU movies in the glory days of the MCU (2012-2019).  Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, and Thor 2 come to mind.  They all made money, and in the case of Iron Man 3, made a TON of money.  If you want to argue the overall quality for Marvel movies has gone down, yeah, I'd agree, but I don't think it's that dramatic.  It's just after the first Avengers there was a ton of excitement and good will towards the MCU, and that was enough momentum to carry even bad movies to profitability.  That momentum no longer exists, and thus bad movies crash and burn. 

2 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

This is sort of true, but there were some bad MCU movies in the glory days of the MCU (2012-2019).  Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, and Thor 2 come to mind.  They all made money, and in the case of Iron Man 3, made a TON of money.  If you want to argue the overall quality for Marvel movies has gone down, yeah, I'd agree, but I don't think it's that dramatic.  It's just after the first Avengers there was a ton of excitement and good will towards the MCU, and that was enough momentum to carry even bad movies to profitability.  That momentum no longer exists, and thus bad movies crash and burn. 

Yeah I should have added ‘people won’t go watch a superhero movie just because it’s a superhero movie ANY MORE’

10 hours ago, DMC said:

Dunno why you’re under the impression opinions can’t be wrong and idiotic.

Not an opinion.

10 hours ago, IlyaP said:

No. I think that movie has the potential to do well but I don't think it'll singlehandedly reverse the current trend.

The Deadpool movies have always been a bit of an outlier anyway. They're not really superhero films, they're R-rated superhero parodies. 

46 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Not an opinion.

No. I think that movie has the potential to do well but I don't think it'll singlehandedly reverse the current trend.

The Deadpool movies have always been a bit of an outlier anyway. They're not really superhero films, they're R-rated superhero parodies. 

Like the Not Another Teen Movie of the Superhero world!  :D 

It's a weird one because the description ifrom Variety et-al is that Julia Garner will be playing Shalla-Bal, who in the comics was Norrin Radd's lover/wife, and will be the "Shalla-Bal version of Silver Surfer". Which is from an alternate timeline story (Earth X) from the 2000s, where the new Galactus (Franklin Richards!) turns her into the Surfer as well, so you have both Norrin Radd and Shalla-Bal at the same time as Heralds of Galactus.

So, what does this mean? Are we getting two Silver Surfers, male and female? This undercuts the tragic, aloneness of the Silver Surfer, I have to say, but fine I guess.

Or are they cutting Norrin for Shalla, and having her be the original and only Silver Surfer? The thing is, Norrin Radd is the character that has been around for nearly 60 years, a tragic, lonely figure, often philosophical. But the Shalla-Bal Silver Surfer was a one-off limited series gimmick. It feels weird, from the perspective of just a comic fan, to substitute one for the other. If they wanted to gender-swap the Silver Surfer, give her a new pre-Surfer name, maybe something reflective of Norrin Radd like the way, way out there Norra Radd (I know, it's too crazy!), and go from there.

But who knows. Maybe it'll be two Surfers. And Garner's a fine actress.

Edited by Ran