Marvel: The Echo of Profitability

Rhom

8 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

TBF, her transformation in the source comics was pretty drastic from shunned wife to deal with the devil to Goblin Queen. It's been about a minute (or 30 years) since I last read the comics, but one minute she was missing her son to suddenly reigning over the ashes of demonic New York.

Pretty much. I believe there's like a 3-page part where she has this weird-ass set of dreams and then is all 'fuck y'all'. 

That said, Madeline Pryor is 100% justified in going full villain, and not just because she has a fucking sexy costume

10 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

TBF, her transformation in the source comics was pretty drastic from shunned wife to deal with the devil to Goblin Queen. It's been about a minute (or 30 years) since I last read the comics, but one minute she was missing her son to suddenly reigning over the ashes of demonic New York.

Agree it was pretty quick, but I don’t remember them rushing through the plot at this pace. 

10 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Agree it was pretty quick, but I don’t remember them rushing through the plot at this pace. 

It was done almost entirely offscreen. 

Revisiting Claremont stuff from that period can be a bit rough. Every time I’ve tried it, the wordiness and the style and the rushing just feels really odd, where I barely noticed it when I was a kid. 

I guess this stuff doesn’t quite translate to 2024 animation for me. Or maybe it translates far too well. I dunno. 

Disney trounces activist shareholders in a major win for Bob Iger

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/03/business/disney-proxy-battle-bob-iger/index.html

Peltz had expressed political differences with Iger that animated his campaign. In a recent interview with the Financial Times, Peltz disparaged “The Marvels” and “Black Panther” movies as pushing what Republicans often call a “woke” agenda.

“Why do I have to have a Marvel that’s all women? Not that I have anything against women, but why do I have to do that? Why can’t I have Marvels that are both? Why do I need an all-Black cast?” Peltz told the FT.

37 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Disney trounces activist shareholders in a major win for Bob Iger

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/03/business/disney-proxy-battle-bob-iger/index.html

Peltz disparaged “The Marvels” and “Black Panther” movies as pushing what Republicans often call a “woke” agenda

"Black Panther movies"? You mean the movies that made a combined $2+ billion at the box office and probably shipped twice that number in merch and got massive critical acclaim and awards recognition? 

Say what you will about the films themselves (I thought the first one was overrated and I never saw the second one); but how the fuck is this guy rich?

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

"Black Panther movies"? You mean the movies that made a combined $2+ billion at the box office and probably shipped twice that number in merch and got massive critical acclaim and awards recognition? 

Say what you will about the films themselves (I thought the first one was overrated and I never saw the second one); but how the fuck is this guy rich?

Sadly there are very few morally good rich people in this world.

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

but how the fuck is this guy rich?

He was a good businessman, if you read his Wikipedia entry. Started by driving a delivery truck in  his grandfather's small wholesale food distribution business and grew it into a a multi-firm empire with $150 million in yearly sales (equivalent to $1 billion today).

Sold that a few years laters to an investor group who almost immediately tanked the business and their lender begged him to salvage the business before they declared bankruptcy, and he did so within a year of taking over again. From there,.it's a history of buying companies and turning his business into a Fortune 100 corporation and the nation's top food packager, and then he went and started snapping up food brands like Snapple from Quaker Oats, turning the brand around.

But he's also an 81-year-old conservative Jewish guy from Brooklyn and no doubt holds some antiquated notions.

Edited by Ran

2 hours ago, Ran said:

He was a good businessman, if you read his Wikipedia entry. Started by driving a delivery truck in  his grandfather's small wholesale food distribution business and grew it into a a multi-firm empire with $150 million in yearly sales (equivalent to $1 billion today).

Sold that a few years laters to an investor group who almost immediately tanked the business and their lender begged him to salvage the business before they declared bankruptcy, and he did so within a year of taking over again. From there,.it's a history of buying companies and turning his business into a Fortune 100 corporation and the nation's top food packager, and then he went and started snapping up food brands like Snapple from Quaker Oats, turning the brand around.

But he's also an 81-year-old conservative Jewish guy from Brooklyn and no doubt holds some antiquated notions.

I mean, I was just gonna say he obviously didn’t get rich due to his opinions on movies, but this works too.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

The thing about those Horatio Alger type bios, they always leave out or diminish some important detail, like he married into money or had a billionaire aunt or some such.

I’ll also point out that Ike Perlmutter similarly had a reputation for being a business genius, and before he was booted from the movie side of Marvel Studios, his bright idea was to do a Captain America: Civil War that didn’t have Iron Man in it; because RDJ was too expensive. 

57 minutes ago, DMC said:

I mean, I was just gonna say he obviously didn’t get rich due to his opinions on movies, but this works too.

Yeah, but this isn't even arguing based on the artistic merit of the film.

If you're saying:

"Once I'm in charge, we won't be in the Black Panther or Marvels business anymore. How 'bout that?"

The only appropriate response, from a business perspective, is:

"Are you out of your fucking mind? Those films made cubic dollars... No. I don't want you in charge. Fuck no. See a doctor."

In Alex Gibney's Theranos documentary, one of Elizabeth Holmes' early investors, Don Lucas, said something to the effect of, "She was 21 years old. No background in business. But her great-grandfather was an entrepreneur. Her great uncle was in medicine... Hospital named after him..."

What?!? Business acumen and medical expertise are heritable traits? WTF?!? It doesn't fucking work that way! How the fuck did this guy get rich?!?

Maybe there should be an age limit or something. Like once you turn 80 they take your money and just set you up in a mansion somewhere and bring you women and bourbon and ice cream whenever you want.  That's your reward for winning the cosmic lottery and not being allowed to run things anymore. 

2 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Woahh never thought you guys would actually defend Bob Iger over someone else, wonders never cease :P

I mean Iger is still scum as well. He spent last summer trying to destroy two unions. This is more a case of evil vs evil, being a thing, lol

36 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Yeah, but this isn't even arguing based on the artistic merit of the film.

Bad opinions on movies can include bad business opinions on movies.

37 minutes ago, sifth said:

I mean Iger is still scum as well. He spent last summer trying to destroy two unions. This is more a case of evil vs evil, being a thing, lol

Scums a bit harsh, yeah Disney is in a shitty state right now, but Iger did preside over and was partly responsible for the golden era of Marvel and some of the Pixar movies.

Hes a much better studio head than say Kathleen Kennedy or David Zaslav

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II