Monotheism vs. Polytheism

Tywin et al.

I know this started out as a joke, but I'd say the two have very different purposes. As I understand it, polytheism is derived from animism, or "representations of forces of nature or ancestral principles" (wikipedia). So the original purpose of polytheism is to make sense of the world, with humans being one force among many, and part of a greater whole - today we call it "nature" but the division itself was made relatively recently (see: Descola). Hunter-gatherer tribes and Asian cultures still have traces of the old spirituality - Miyazaki's Mononoke is the tale of humanity turning away from it for example, a Japanese version of the Promethean myth.
Monotheism, by contrast, is often said to come from politicomorphism: historically speaking, it seems rooted in monolatry, i.e. the preferential worship of the King's tutelar deity. Whereas defeated peoples were expected to forfeit their King's God in favor of the victor's, the exiled Hebrew elite subverted this by blaming their monarch instead, giving their one God a social function rooted in the sacred - Durkheim would say that they sacralised the cultural values of their people - to become a geographically-autonomous ethno-religious group. I'd speculate it was originally a politically-motivated theology, and that later variations of monotheism also developed for political purposes.
Point is, polytheism would originally be about humans' relationship with the cosmos and "nature," whereas monotheism is about organising human society. They're not completely mutually exclusive, but human societies moving from one to the other is a reflection of the fact that humans came to view themselves as part of increasingly larger human societies rather than viewing themselves as part of a natural world.

I think we've had a similar thread in ages past.

Polytheism as mythology for making fun stories is the best. Though even those mythologies often have a single supreme being as the real creator.

Monotheism as serious theology for the creation of our multiverse is the only logical explanation (on the basis of the cause and effect principle) for a multiverse made by a conscious creative entity.

18 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Monotheism as serious theology for the creation of our multiverse is the only logical explanation (on the basis of the cause and effect principle) for a multiverse made by a conscious creative entity.

Hmm... Why so?

23 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Funnily enough, there seems to be traces of polytheism in the Torah.

There's a bit depending on how you want to interrupt it. All three Abrahamic religions have this in common. Which is why polytheism still wins the day. ;)

Whatever Pharaoh Akhenaten was doing was on point :thumbsup:;)

In all seriousness, polytheism (no hate on monotheism though).

Some points are serious, some less so.

1. Supreme Power Power Set

Most monotheistic religions appear to ascribe characteristics to the Creator that they seem unlikely to possess at the same time. I find it hard to accept that the power that be is simultaneously all-powerful, all-seeing, and all-benevolent. I know there is the free will argument, but you also have people suffering despite not choosing to do so, just because other people chose to cause said suffering, so I guess their free will to harm others trumps the free will of other people to not be harmed (I would be interested if there is a theological argument to address this point).

2. Supreme Power is Harder to Relate To

Arguably it can be easier to 'connect' to gods from the various polytheistic pantheons because they are more like real humans. Make mistakes, display human emotion more frequently, etc. And they relate to concepts that are easier to grasp such as the sea, the sky and so on. There is also often a more tangible element to worshipping them. And, if Odin doesn't answer your prayer, you can try Thor instead, whereas if God doesn't answer your prayer, you seem kind of stuck?

3. Polytheist 'Lore' is potentially better

The drama is better since the stakes are real. Gods vs other gods or mythological beings, where the gods could actually be hurt/killed, or a human being brave enough to take on a god, has more dramatic tension for me than, for example, the Bible. In the Bible, it is obvious that whomever has God on their side will win. Also, the Bible seems to have very obvious continuity issues (some of which can be solved with Gnosticism), which I don't see so much with polytheistic works. Bible also has moments where someone slips up and admits the polytheistic nature of the world. Translation errors may also be more of an issue. And you have to read quite a few parts of the Bible metaphorically or they either don't make sense or are not suitable for the modern world. 

44 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

1. Supreme Power Power Set

Most monotheistic religions appear to ascribe characteristics to the Creator that they seem unlikely to possess at the same time. I find it hard to accept that the power that be is simultaneously all-powerful, all-seeing, and all-benevolent.

Just keep it simple, how did this all-powerful god get tricked by a dumb woman and a talking, walking snake? 

47 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Just keep it simple, how did this all-powerful god get tricked by a dumb woman and a talking, walking snake? 

The argument I've seen is that Big G let it happen because 'free will'.* Most arguments seem to be 'free will' or that it was 'all part of the plan', 'God works in mysterious ways'.

*Although this appears to contradict the following Bible passage.

And the LORD God said, 'The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.'

https://www.bibleref.com/Genesis/3/Genesis-3-22.html

The tone sounds like it wasn't part of the plan, also why is Adam not allowed to live forever? What about free will? Shouldn't he have that choice? Also, who is God talking to?

Edited by Craving Peaches

My initial reaction to the thread title was that polytheism allows you to build war elephant military units but monotheism allows you to build Michaelangelo’s Chapel, which is a crucial Wonder Of The World if pursuing an expansionist strategy.  Besides, the one leads to the other anyway.  So I was ready to jump in and see if anyone has a different take on this.

NGL, I’m pretty disappointed that the thread isn’t actually about Civ 2 game strategy.

11 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

NGL, I’m pretty disappointed that the thread isn’t actually about Civ 2 game strategy.

Well its 2024, we are more aligned to Civ 6 ways of thinking. I think if Christianity could aim for the Work Ethic tenet and get a production bonus from it's Holy Site adjacency then we might see a resurgence worldwide. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

It wasn't part of the plan, but it was part of the ineffable plan. Just watch Good Omens, and it'll all be clear (not!).

6 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I've heard this. Some speculation about Yahweh being a god of war in an earlier pantheon... with a consort. 

Asherah, yes. Yahweh basically took over her cult and she was forgotten for thousands of years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asherah

Imagine how pissed she must be.