Shogun: More like Shogood (Spoilers 4 days post episode release, show spoilers only)

IFR

I'm confused. I thought a pilot was a navigator? The person who steers the ship is the helmsman, surely??? I understand that Blackthrone had to do the steering because of reasons, but why the is Rodriguez doing the steering on his shop which presumably has a full crew?

1 hour ago, Gigei said:

I'm confused. I thought a pilot was a navigator? The person who steers the ship is the helmsman, surely??? I understand that Blackthrone had to do the steering because of reasons, but why the is Rodriguez doing the steering on his shop which presumably has a full crew?

I think a pilot is almost always a helmsman. They may be multi-skilled though, as on real ships they knew there was an excellent chance of not surviving the journey so people would double-up on skills so one person being swept overboard wouldn't kill the entire crew.

I don’t mind the basic choreography. Kinda getting tired of all the marvel shows and the like where everyone is some martial arts badass and is doing crazy movements. Even when we had Buntaro killing guys here it’s all basic stuff and more grounded in realism.

9 hours ago, Arakasi said:

I don’t mind the basic choreography. Kinda getting tired of all the marvel shows and the like where everyone is some martial arts badass and is doing crazy movements. Even when we had Buntaro killing guys here it’s all basic stuff and more grounded in realism.

Great scene. Kind of gave me Boromir vibes. 

9 hours ago, Arakasi said:

The Buntaro scene was good. The fight in the forest was a bit static, as you could see extras in the background just staring at the main actors without doing anything. The fight choreography, when focused on a few characters, has been good. I liked the scene with Yabushige and the bandits. He and his men are really efficient in killing the unsuspecting bandits.

On 3/10/2024 at 9:18 PM, Werthead said:

I think a pilot is almost always a helmsman. They may be multi-skilled though, as on real ships they knew there was an excellent chance of not surviving the journey so people would double-up on skills so one person being swept overboard wouldn't kill the entire crew.

Makes sense! It was just a nitpick anyway, I'm mostly enjoying the show.

2 hours ago, cock_merchant said:

Who did Blackthorne actually Shag?

28 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

Unsure. It seemed like Mariko but then next weeks preview seemed weird in light of that.

Spoiler

Mariko and Fuji asked Blackthorne in the morning if the courtesan was good or something like that. I think it was interesting that they used the lighting and actresses' similar appearances to fool the audience. I'm not entirely sure if Blackthorne knows who it was. 

Edited by Corvinus85

2 hours ago, IFR said:

Book spoilers:

Hide contents

Mariko. She feigned the courtesan scenario to save face.

That was the impression I came away with. It was almost as though she didn't want Fuji to know, as if she actually understood what was being said...

I've not actually read the book as of yet, maybe this summer, but that end of the episode...whoof...

3 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I've not actually read the book as of yet, maybe this summer, but that end of the episode...whoof...

The essence of what happens in the end is the same in the show as in the book, as I understand, but

Spoiler

they made it a lot more spectacular by using cannons against Jozen and his troop, whereas in the book Toranaga's son has musketeerss with bayonets [ahistorical in this era, BTW, but Clavell didn't seem to realize or perhaps didn't care]  do it. Jozen in particular isn't beheaded by the son, but instead tortured to death, stabbed and hamstrung and made to run only to get stabbed again and so on.

Bookstores in Spain have big stacks of re-released Shogun, along side stacks of many other historical fiction titles by Spanish authors, featuring samurai in Spain and Mexico.  This is also the case in Portugal, where several of our Travelers continued on, to decompress, before heading back home to Western Canada, and California.

So, a few things ...

1. I started watching when 3 episodes were released and, at that time, the episodes listing has those three, plus four and five listed as 'to be released' of some sort (I don't recall the actual wording). Based on that, I thought it was a five episode series and was really confused by that length ... which only grew as I watched the first three episodes and was super confused how they'd possibly resolve it by the fifth episode. And then I watched episode four and was legit angry because the resolution could only be absolute trash if it was going to take a single episode.

So I googled it to see if others were up in arms and it turns out I'm just a fool.

THANK GOD IT'S 10 EPISODES!

2. On the whole, this show has been pretty dang satisfying. I'd say it's (so far) about the best overall quality I've seen in a show since the early seasons of GOT. There aren't very many things that take me out of the moment and I almost never (excusing the boat stuff at the end of episode 3 which seemed a flimsy premise for an obstacle as well as a somewhat unsatisfying resolution for the main group, followed by a jarringly abrupt edit and then a goofy-feeling escape for Blackthorne) feel the director's / writer's hands on the plot-wheel. The artistry and pacing is excellent and the acting seems pretty even.

Just a really good show.

Edited by Ser Not Appearing

I struggle somewhat with the juxtaposition of random guy interrupting a meeting and how that was so grievous an act as to result in him killing himself and his young child ... and then the end of episode 4.

Spoiler

Others are shocked by the murders and the brutality so it's clearly outside the bounds of normalcy but ... I'd love to better understand how those two things arise from the same societal structures (which are presented as rather rigid and universally adopted).

Maybe it's the whole point but that act should have been borderline impossible for him to even consider, let alone premeditate and set up the killing shots. Is he just a rogue within his own culture or what's the balance between him and propriety?

Edited by Ser Not Appearing