Dating Thread: In Memoriam

Tywin et al.

13 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Women pick restaurants for dates?  I'm pretty easy going, but whenever I've asked back "what do you want to eat" it's usually seemed to come off as my losing points for not being decisive, when really I'm just a low key omnivore.

Sorry to hear, but I've definitely stopped seeing someone because she liked to sleep in the cold, without appropriate blankets and snored a lot.  Hard to be with someone where you're wildly divergent on something so basic as sleep conditions.  No blame, but not everyone is totally cat compliant maybe.

Got that, but JUST SAY IT. He was all “cats are great, I love cats”. Ok, awesome, but if your allergies to my particular cats are the deal breaker, just say it. Don’t say “I can’t put my finger on why I lost interest in you after leaving your house on Friday morning.”

And I even offered “hotel room” and “we don’t have to spend any time at my house”.

The cats aren’t going to live for more than another 3 years with their health conditions and considering an average feline life span. He was with someone FOR THREE YEARS WITH NO SEX.

Three years and only spending time at his place sounds a hell of a lot better than three years with a partner with…no sex.

Posted (edited)

This has been just a shitshow of a week. Work was ridiculous on Monday and yesterday, and on Monday, called the Doctor to tell him about it. Also, I was curious as to him calling me last week on Thursday and Friday.

Apparently, he had called me to talk about his toenail that was falling off because he had injured it, walking through Italy. And was curious as to see how it would progress (as a former marathon runner, I’ve lost plenty of toenails). He’s a doctor for Pete’s sake, this was a transparent excuse to call. Ok, great, we caught up.

Then, last night, he sends a text asking if I’d seen Die Walkure, and I texted back that I had, and probably over-shared that this particular Walkure at Hometown Opera was better than the Walkure at the Lyric Opera that I’d  been to, but not quite as good as the Met. 

Are we cringing, yet? 

Because I also then asked him if he wanted to go see it with me, as I was contemplating going again.

Either that, or he was asking because he’s a complete arsehole who is asking my opinion so that he can take another woman there. 

ETA: Date with Mr. CMO - Board Member was great. He was easy to talk to, super nice. We do have an ethnic difference of which you should all be apprised; it is not significant to me, or, I think, to him, and it was pretty obvious from our pics, as I look pretty darn Norwegian to anyone who is keeping track of things. He also caught my accent, which I am pretty careful to modulate, but he identified North Dakota pretty quickly, so I’m impressed.

We talked a good bit about books. I haven’t read a lot in the African-American literature genre but for Toni Morrison, but I’m certainly open to reading more. 

@Mlle. Zabzie might be dismayed to learn that he went to UNC, not Duke, but we can’t all be perfect.

Edited by Madame deVenoge

11 hours ago, Madame deVenoge said:

Either that, or he was asking because he’s a complete arsehole who is asking my opinion so that he can take another woman there. 

Or he just values your opinion on the production. Whether he then goes there with another woman or not is not really in the asshole category imo. :dunno:

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Or he just values your opinion on the production. Whether he then goes there with another woman or not is not really in the asshole category imo. :dunno:

Well, everyone says he can go f— himself, and Dua Lipa does have those New Rules, so…we shan’t speculate.

Might I also mention that men in general are now incredibly bold. I’ve literally gotten somewhat propositioned on the street, twice in the last two weeks.

Last week, at the gas station:

Man: How are you doing?

Me: doing great, thanks; and you?

Him: great. Hey, you wanna go out sometime?

Me: (ignores him)

Tonight:

I was walking-and-talking on the phone at the Battery, which is an entertainment district by my house. I got off the phone and was walking down the sidewalk. A Man at Battery, seemed 100% sober, powered his wheelchair quickly to move up to alongside me.

Man at Battery, in power wheelchair, seemed 100% sober:

Hey. Do you want to hook up? Perhaps tomorrow, or even tonight?

Me: I am seeing someone. 

Him: Ok. You do have a really nice ass. Say, are we in (city) or (city)?

Me: Great question. I know that two blocks that way (west) is (city), but one block (north) is (city) and the rest of it is unincorporated.

Him: does it matter to anyone around here?

Me: probably only to either (city) for their tax base. Have a great night!

I am going to confess that this was SUPER STRANGE to me because he had a health attendant of some sort with him. Who was kind of studiously ignoring this whole interaction. She literally did not look me in the eyes at all, and I am actually really kind of curious as to this whole dynamic.

@Toth - you now have a strategy to attempt to apply. I’m sure it’s a numbers game. These men wouldn’t do it if it didn’t work.

Edited by Madame deVenoge

39 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

I am going to confess that this was SUPER STRANGE to me because he had a health attendant of some sort with him. Who was kind of studiously ignoring this whole interaction. She literally did not look me in the eyes at all, and I am actually really kind of curious as to this whole dynamic.

I guess she was used to it...

42 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

you now have a strategy to attempt to apply. I’m sure it’s a numbers game. These men wouldn’t do it if it didn’t work.

I would be seriously worried about the mental state of the women this would work on...

Also you forget one small detail: I'm German. We don't talk to strangers unless we have a very good reason to do so. That goes doubly for asking someone out. Which is why, at least in my view, the only valid angles are dating apps (where everyone should be on the same page of why they are there) or by befriending people in Real Life and seeing where things go.

Heck, even the latter only works in a framework that allows you to meet regularly and get to interact with people. I guess, yes, that's part of the reason I'm trying to go to meetups these days. Right now I only go to a board game evening every Sunday, though notably my only interaction with a woman there as of yet was exchanging awkward grimaces with a shy Russian girl when we arrived early and waited for someone to open a table and collect us.

On the other hand regularly going to my favorite park to get out of the house and correct exams there had been more of a drain on my mood, being quite literally surrounded by SO many couples picnicking there, while I just sit there alone, reading or working. There had been a couple of situations where I was close to considering striking up a conversation, but in the end decided against it, again, because it just doesn't seem appropriate to bother strangers. There was one scene where two women suddenly came up and started to play badminton essentially in my face, because there was an empty spot in front of me and I thought about joking whether I need to take cover, as the ball kept landing near me.

Oh, and the last weekend there was one odd scene where I retreated to a park bench because I started to get boiled in the sun and after a while a girl sat down beside me, sniffling and typing furiously at her phone as I was busy working through my stack of exams. I couldn't help but glance a few times at her. I suppose I was primed by the amount of kissing couples everywhere being particularly prominent that day and it somehow awakened some primal protector instinct, wondering whether she got stood up or anything, but eventually decided that it could just as well be just an allergy and I shouldn't bother her. What made the scene all the more weird was when I was finished with my exams and stood up to go home, I glanced one last time at her and she looked straight at me. And I may have imagined things, but also putting on a smile. I just awkwardly nodded in return and went my way... Not sure what happened there.

2 hours ago, Madame deVenoge said:

Well, everyone says he can go f— himself, and Dua Lipa does have those New Rules, so…we shan’t speculate.

Well, yeah he should, but that's indepedent from asking for your opinion of the quality of an opera production.

Going by his recent interaction/communication attempts, I'll try a left field theory of him trying to get to a friendship (without benefits) relationship. I think that's the most benign reading.

I really don't get Doctor's behaviour, but I'm inclined to assume the worst.

16 hours ago, Madame deVenoge said:

I look pretty darn Norwegian to anyone who is keeping track of things.

Out of curiosity, how does looking Norwegian differ from looking Swedish or Danish, or even German for that matter? I just picture tall and blonde.

4 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

I really don't get Doctor's behaviour, but I'm inclined to assume the worst.

Out of curiosity, how does looking Norwegian differ from looking Swedish or Danish, or even German for that matter? I just picture tall and blonde.

I’m exotic as I’m tall and have very dark brown hair. :p

All my siblings got the blonde hair and blue eyes. But, you are correct, it’s no different than looking Swedish or German, from what I can see.

27 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

But, you are correct, it’s no different than looking Swedish or German, from what I can see.

Yeah, I know, that’s why I was wondering why you chose a nation of 5,5 milion people. ;)

10 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Or is merely exhausted?  Looking forward to the update…

He has not even called me, so I’m expecting he has been sold for parts. Or being kept for his manliness, and being plied with food, drink, and such.

5 hours ago, Madame deVenoge said:

He has not even called me, so I’m expecting he has been sold for parts. Or being kept for his manliness, and being plied with food, drink, and such.

Oh, just ya know, the typical shot in the dark two week romantic vacation that starts with me in the ER and ends with me learning my step-dad died. The middle had to have been pretty great though for me to still come away beaming. :P

11 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Oh, just ya know, the typical shot in the dark two week romantic vacation that starts with me in the ER and ends with me learning my step-dad died. The middle had to have been pretty great though for me to still come away beaming. :P

Glad you haven't been chopped up and cannibalized or something.

58 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Glad you haven't been chopped up and cannibalized or something.

You never know, J could be playing the long game. Afterall we did map out our plans for the next year or so to make things work. I'll probably be moving within the next two months.

I'll expanded upon what happened further a little later, but am still a bit raw about my step-dad. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I'll expanded upon what happened further a little later, but am still a bit raw about my step-dad. 

Sorry for you loss, Ty.