International events

Bironic

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I guess. Apparently no crime is a crime anymore,

I'm not sure what to make of this, but to your original comment, Iran absolutely tried to attack Israel and do significant damage. Their failure to achieve their mission doesn't absolve them of the fact they did it and gives Israel the right to respond which shows just how stupid it was in the first place.

1 hour ago, Jace, Extat said:

The 10 year old girl who was hit by debris last night died today.

Where did you see this? I saw a report that she underwent surgery and was in the ICU, but not that she died.

9 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Where did you see this? I saw a report that she underwent surgery and was in the ICU, but not that she died.

I was watching an ABC News livestream and the reporter in Israel said she'd died.

man i thought that if you give a call to let the people know you are bombing them you got a pass, and praise, guess it only apllies to some.

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Iran absolutely tried to attack Israel and do significant damage. Their failure to achieve their mission doesn't absolve them of the fact they did it and gives Israel the right to respond which shows just how stupid it was in the first place.

why did they attack israel? why bro? do you know why? is it because they are evil savages? hmm i wonder if something happend before this attack.

wonder if you would feel the same if russia, or iran, or north korea, or china did the same thing that isarel did and bombed a consulate of a country they are not at war with and killing two of its generals.

i know you will find a way to justify israel escalation, but i think it would do you some good to at least try to think about this from another perspective.

it wasnt a failure they knew exactly what they where doing, hence the letting them know far in advance what they would do, they didnt even kill anyone, they didnt destroy infraestructure, israel did do those thing tho, and you are perfectly fine with that, why?

Face it fella -- the Iranian is a much more savvy guy at war and politics than deaf bibi et al.

Also, we're arguing over what was agreed/arm twisted/negotiated in way or another behind the scenes by all the actors in this -- action, so everybody's face is saved.

Edited by Zorral

7 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

why did they attack israel? why bro? do you know why? is it because they are evil savages? hmm i wonder if something happend before this attack.

wonder if you would feel the same if russia, or iran, or north korea, or china did the same thing that isarel did and bombed a consulate of a country they are not at war with and killing two of its generals.

i know you will find a way to justify israel escalation, but i think it would do you some good to at least try to think about this from another perspective.

it wasnt a failure they knew exactly what they where doing, hence the letting them know far in advance what they would do, they didnt even kill anyone, they didnt destroy infraestructure, israel did do those thing tho, and you are perfectly fine with that, why?

You made more spelling and grammatical errors than Iran landed bombs. 

They attacked Israel because their stated goal is to always do so until it's destroyed. This isn't hard to understand. What's weird is when people wonder why they're confrontational with a state that wants them all to die. 

All of this could be solved tomorrow. Release the hostages and work out a lasting ceasefire, except that's not actually the goal on one side and increasingly doesn't look like it is on the other. But don't give me the BS that Iran didn't play a role in what sparked this. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Wow. That's pretty low, isn't it? 

45 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

They attacked Israel because their stated goal is to always do so until it's destroyed. This isn't hard to understand. What's weird is when people wonder why they're confrontational with a state that wants them all to die. 

All of this could be solved tomorrow. Release the hostages and work out a lasting ceasefire, except that's not actually the goal on one side and increasingly doesn't look like it is on the other. But don't give me the BS that Iran didn't play a role in what sparked this. 

After Oct 7 we heard that Israel was showing restraint in their response in Gaza.  If they hadn't, Gaza wouldn't exist anymore.

Similarly, you know very well that Iran showed restraint this weekend. This missile and drone attack wasn't "because their stated goal is to do so until it's destroyed".  It was undeniably a response to the Damascus attack.  

And wtf now we're picking on spelling from posters whose first language isn't even English?

23 minutes ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

Similarly, you know very well that Iran showed restraint this weekend. This missile and drone attack wasn't "because their stated goal is to do so until it's destroyed".  It was undeniably a response to the Damascus attack.  

They didn't show restraint, they're just not anywhere near as strong as they'd like people to think. Iran embarrassed themselves. 

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.

I don't really care how Israel chooses to interpret it as long as they also see the matter as settled. If seeing Iran as embarrassed gets us there, I'll take it. Exactly the same as how I view Iran thinking things are concluded.

48 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

They didn't show restraint, they're just not anywhere near as strong as they'd like people to think. Iran embarrassed themselves. 

Outside the bubble opinion and pundits globally are thinking and saying otherwise.  What make you of this?

Edited by Zorral

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

World opinion, and even the pundits, say otherwise.  Keep digging.

Lol, a quick Google search shows the majority of articles calling for restraint are on the Israeli side after the attack. I only found one saying Iran showed restraint. The rest discussing the Iranian side were about what they should do before they attacked. I haven't heard anyone on NBC or CNN say they showed restraint, just that it was failed from the jump. 

Why did Iran do this? Superficially it just seems incredibly stupid. You don't announce publicly you are going to do this weeks in advance if you actually want to inflict damage. But its a staggering amount of ordinance for them to just throw away. And you can't even say they did this to make it "look" like they were taking revenge because the whole thing just makes them look weak.

It's possible it is to provoke a response. I think it is entirely likely that they will get a response and Israel will fully unleash inflicting massive damage and casualties with bombs and missiles over the next few months. This might help condemn Israel even more in the the eye of the world but is that really worth it having your country blown to pieces?

Another more worrying theory is that this was all just an intelligence gathering exercise. They wanted to see how the Israeli air defense worked and test their own systems. They were given a quasi-justification and they took it. This would mean there could be the real attack coming later.

Israel really needs to take the high road here but the chances of Netanyahu doing that are slim to none. 

30 minutes ago, Makk said:

Why did Iran do this? Superficially it just seems incredibly stupid. You don't announce publicly you are going to do this weeks in advance if you actually want to inflict damage. But its a staggering amount of ordinance for them to just throw away. And you can't even say they did this to make it "look" like they were taking revenge because the whole thing just makes them look weak.

It's possible it is to provoke a response. I think it is entirely likely that they will get a response and Israel will fully unleash inflicting massive damage and casualties with bombs and missiles over the next few months. This might help condemn Israel even more in the the eye of the world but is that really worth it having your country blown to pieces?

Another more worrying theory is that this was all just an intelligence gathering exercise. They wanted to see how the Israeli air defense worked and test their own systems. They were given a quasi-justification and they took it. This would mean there could be the real attack coming later.

Israel really needs to take the high road here but the chances of Netanyahu doing that are slim to none. 

I suggest a simpler theory: they bought their own propaganda and overestimated their own capabilities while underestimating Israel's. After all, no-one ever actually intercepted anywhere close to that many missiles at once until last night. Even Russia's largest drone/missile waves it launched on Ukraine were only 50-60% of this size.

They actually thought enough would get through to do major damage.

Edited by Gorn

1 minute ago, Conflicting Thought said:

iran would not have responded if israel didnt first attacked the consulate, thats just the reality, its a fact.

That's a fair point, and I think evidences that Netanyahu is playing an untenable hand quite adeptly. 

That consulate strike was fucking diabolical. Iran had to do something- Had To. And they had to do something dramatic, something unprecedented, because nobody had ever struck an embassy like that before.

And now you have your casus belli for all-out war with the true villain of the region that could keep you in power for years despite a disapproval rating of 70-fucking-percent. 

Netanyahu may be a dirtbag, but I'll be damned if he's not sharp.

51 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

iran would not have responded if israel didnt first attacked the consulate, thats just the reality, its a fact.

Except that Iran has already targeted Israeli diplomatic missions in the past, including the bombing in Buenos Aires. 

Israel and Iran have been at war for a very long time, though covertly. This is nothing like the situation where Ecuador stormed the Mexican embassy, as those two countries had diplomatic relations prior to the incident. 

I haven’t read everything pertaining to the Iran attack, in part because I’m busy enough dealing with dumbass and uninformed political opinions for my actual job.  But yes, this was plainly a simple threat gesture on behalf of Iran to save face.  Hopefully that’s that.

3 hours ago, Makk said:

Yup. If they're smart they'll just laugh at Iran and call it a day. Too bad their leader is a fucking dumbass who does what he thinks will protect him. President Skroob could do a better job. President Camacho would be ten steps ahead of that idiot and Skroob would be that far ahead of Netanyahu. What an asshole.

2 hours ago, Conflicting Thought said:

i hope it made you feel good saying that to me.

You've been a jerk to me and I've let most of it slide. Just for starters, please capitalize words, especially countries. 

Iran more likely than not played some role in the initial attack, so it's hard to say they responded, especially when you factor in that they give zero shits about the Palestinian people. If everyone in Gaza and the WB died this second and it made their position 1% better they'd probably take that outcome. 

• Ran locked this topic