UK politics, Truss me, I really am that mental.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Tories lose Blackpool South. Lost 32% of their vote. I can't wait for the general election. Its going to be an epic bloodbath.

Labour also got Thurrock which is ranked 4th on areas tgatbvoted for brexit.

Admittedly thatbwas a hung council before.  17 out of 22 seets delaced,

Cons only retained 1 seet lost 12   

Labour on 12 up 8x

Others up 4   previously none

This gives me hope fir my area which is next door

Amazing that in 29 of the 33 policing commissionaire voters taking place, the incumbent is conservative.  How they managed to hoodwink the nation into believing they are the party of law and order absolutely baffles me. 

23 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Amazing that in 29 of the 33 policing commissionaire voters taking place, the incumbent is conservative.  How they managed to hoodwink the nation into believing they are the party of law and order absolutely baffles me. 

Possibly cos a lot of people think polic comisioners shoukd not bevpolitical so dont vote or spoil ballots atva much higher rate than most elections.

Also last time in my area iirc the only party with a policeman standing for commisioner was tory.  So if you wanted someone with some job experiance that was who you voted for especially with the very limited infirmation we had on them and we went looking for it.

5 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Unfortunately this misses the point that many people dont have time to return home and come back later.

The point is that we shouldn't have to show ID at all. Voting is a fundamental right, and no evidence exists of fraud by impersonation except as a 'black swan' event. Requiring ID distorts the results by several orders of magnitude more than not requiring it does. 

27 minutes ago, mormont said:

The point is that we shouldn't have to show ID at all. Voting is a fundamental right, and no evidence exists of fraud by impersonation except as a 'black swan' event. Requiring ID distorts the results by several orders of magnitude more than not requiring it does. 

Exactly 

But they are will use this as an exarmple that its not a problem becasue one famous person forgot id but was able to come back later.

I say it proves there is a problem cos it shows not everyone automatically carry id with them at all times.

We should not need id to vote.  At the very least everyone should be issued with free id automatically.  Or allow the polling card as a form of id.   

Peterborough now, where among the new councillors is 18-year-old Daisy Creedon-Blakemore.

She won the seat for Labour, and says she is "pretty much overwhelmed at the moment, but we've worked the ward really hard".

Creedon-Blakemore believes she is now the youngest councillor in the country.

And it's one test to the next for the teenager, who sits her A-levels next week.

She sounds fucking Tory, and who in their right mind would trust an 18 year old?  They are without doubt a bunch of fucking idiots.  I know local council's aren't the most important job in the world, but still. 

3 hours ago, mormont said:

We require ID, but it's called an easy vote card and it's mailed to everyone who is on the electoral roll for every election, And everyone over 18 is automatically registered, and if you forget it you get to cast a special vote anyway. Still the country regularly votes in both left and right govts, but right govts more. Australia has compulsory voting and it votes in govts of both left and right.

I don't like voter ID that puts any kind of barrier to voting, but it appears from the least disenfranchising countries the end result over time isn't all that much different. You'll get govts of both left and right stripes.

And I guess it's been two weeks, so time to preach again. IMO left/progressive govts are going to be increasingly rare until they stop believing in the deficit myth.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

They are without doubt a bunch of fucking idiots.

I doubt it, for one. Many 18 year olds I know are as capable and mature as folks twice or three times their age. 

Can we just stop bashing young folks for a bit? 

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Kemi is favourite for next leader, Suella is 3rd. How far can these fuckers sink? 

Neither of these two individuals would survive PMQs, whether as PM or as opposition leaders, without looking like complete fools who are out of their league. Neither of them can boast of strong performances in Parliament as it is. 

Lib Dems now pretty clear in 2nd 168 - 155, and labour have almost 3x as many seats as the Tories so far.  

hoping Driscoll wins NE mayor race, to remind Starmer of the sort of people we like. 

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Australia has compulsory voting and it votes in govts of both left and right.

The duty of government to facilitate voting rather than (potentially) seeing disenfranchisement as a legitimate strategy is one of the best selling points of compulsory voting IMO. It's exceptionally easy here, happens on a Saturday and lets you get a lazy breakfast and some cake and support local schools etc at the same time.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Lib Dems now pretty clear in 2nd 168 - 155, and labour have almost 3x as many seats as the Tories so far.  

hoping Driscoll wins NE mayor race, to remind Starmer of the sort of people we like. 

137 v 140 in the important battle (good guys currently winning)

45/107 declared

Edited by Which Tyler

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Leadsom 'Houchen win a testament to a conservative government'.  What are all the other results then?  These fucking people. 

Even there his vote share is 20% down on last time.

54 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

There’s a rumour floating around that Labour think they may have lost the West Midlands mayoral race because Muslim voters angry about their Gaza policy have voted for the independent (Galloway endorsed) candidate 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Peterborough now, where among the new councillors is 18-year-old Daisy Creedon-Blakemore.

She won the seat for Labour, and says she is "pretty much overwhelmed at the moment, but we've worked the ward really hard".

Creedon-Blakemore believes she is now the youngest councillor in the country.

And it's one test to the next for the teenager, who sits her A-levels next week.

She sounds fucking Tory, and who in their right mind would trust an 18 year old?  They are without doubt a bunch of fucking idiots.  I know local council's aren't the most important job in the world, but still. 

At 18 (1997) I'd been studying Russia and American politics and Anglo-Irish history for two years solid, so in those areas I was probably better-informed and up to date then 90% of the population. That was also probably when my absolute mastery of Middle-earth lore was its peak. Outside of those areas it'd have been more of a mixed bag.

That said, I once had a long conversation with a family member (then in his fifties) explaining with references how the value of the house he bought in 1975 had quintupled outside of interest, which is why I couldn't afford to buy a similar house at the same time he did, and he didn't get it (or rather he refused to get it, because it destroyed his argument about "feckless youth").

There are a lot of 18-year-old fucking idiots around, but a lot of 18-year-olds who are reasonably well-educated and capable, and a lot of 38 or 58-year-olds around who you wouldn't trust to open a can of beans which was already open without fatally injuring themselves.

Edited by Werthead

Posted (edited)

So you were academically well informed but had no relevsnt life experience of note?

No 18 year old has the life experience to be in a job even with that level of responsibility.

The fact there are lots of grown ups who would also be inept is irrelevant.

Edited by BigFatCoward

Posted (edited)

I don't care what experience you think you might have at 18, 'cos you sure as shit ain't getting my vote.

What I would say to any 18 year old running for elected office.

"Get over yourself. FFS."

Then I would flush his/her head down the bog for being a sweaty try hard prefect type.

Edited by Spockydog

[rant]

If I were 18, I'd be furious. Incandescent. People our age have fucked up the environment, fucked up the economy, fucked up the political system, wrecked the future of 18 year olds and refused to do anything about it, and do we apologise? Do we hell. No, we prefer to lecture 18 year olds about how stupid they are, how they do gender wrong, they do politics wrong, they do protest wrong, they shouldn't be allowed to decide whether to smoke, they shouldn't be allowed to stand for election, they're too censorious (we say as we criticise them for everything they say or think), they're dumbasses who apparently we should physically abuse? 

You know who needs to get over themselves?

Us.

We're a catastrophe of a generation. We treat 18 year olds far worse than they treat us. We should be banned from standing for office. Look at the politicians from our generation. Is that what 'life experience' provides? What 'life experience' does Rishi Sunak have? 

I would 100% rather vote for a random 18 year old than anyone on the Tory front bench, and much of the Labour front bench. 18 year olds couldn't possibly do a worse job than us.