Trailer Thread III

Veltigar

34 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Seeing Passengers next week, quite looking forward to it. Looks pretty interesting from the trailers.

Likely to be better than the disappointment of Rogue One.

:lol: by all accounts it sounds terrible. 30% on Rotten Tomatoes right now. 

3 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Seeing Passengers next week, quite looking forward to it. Looks pretty interesting from the trailers.

Likely to be better than the disappointment of Rogue One.

Yeah that is not right.  Rogue One was the best best best--so good, wish I could watch it 20 more times right now.  Passengers is at 30%, has absolutely terrible reviews, and has looked super stupid since it's first trailer.

I just cannot understand why you would say that about Rogue one, such a lifeless affair with that cast of cardboards.

Pretty, but ever so light on story and on characters.

I don't even want to see it again once, and you're talking 20 times? 

I got more enjoyment from Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith and The Force Awakens, loads more in fact.

That said, 30% is of course not a good sign but I am not yet fully discouraged. If the same people who proclaim so much love for Rogue One ( a remarkable amount here on the board) hate this, I might well dig it.

I haven't seen Rogue One yet, but i plan to see it next week.    

I saw Passengers yesterday and i quite liked it.     I've read several of the reviews and think they are focusing too  negatively on one point in the movie, even though it makes sense plotwise.

Major spoiler below talking about that point, which the trailers amazingly don't spoil

Spoiler

Jim's obsession and creepy stalking leading to the decision to wake up Aurora is definitely wrong and basically criminal, condemning her to his own fate to die long before the Avalon reaches Homestead II.    But with his mental state and despair after a year of loneliness and the knowledge that he will have to spend the rest of his life alone, it is certainly understandable that he might give into the temptation, even though he knows it is wrong. 

Most of the criticism is that the movie doesn't deal with the fallout to this enough, but Aurora cuts all ties with Jim after she finds out, except to attack and almost kill him.  It's only the deteriorating condition of the ship that forces them back together to survive.

14 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

Man, I am so excited for this show, I have a feeling it is going to be really good.

I just watched the trailers for this 8-parter, that comes from the creators of Peaky Blinders.  Woo, it sure does look roller coaster!

On 12/22/2016 at 7:13 PM, Leofric said:

I saw Passengers yesterday and i quite liked it.     I've read several of the reviews and think they are focusing too  negatively on one point in the movie, even though it makes sense plotwise.

Major spoiler below talking about that point, which the trailers amazingly don't spoil

Reveal hidden contents

Jim's obsession and creepy stalking leading to the decision to wake up Aurora is definitely wrong and basically criminal, condemning her to his own fate to die long before the Avalon reaches Homestead II.    But with his mental state and despair after a year of loneliness and the knowledge that he will have to spend the rest of his life alone, it is certainly understandable that he might give into the temptation, even though he knows it is wrong. 

Most of the criticism is that the movie doesn't deal with the fallout to this enough, but Aurora cuts all ties with Jim after she finds out, except to attack and almost kill him.  It's only the deteriorating condition of the ship that forces them back together to survive.

Saw Passengers on a double date with another couple and we all enjoyed it. Granted, the CGI and charisma of Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence carry the film--so if you don't like one of those actors then you will probably pass on this film anyway. The ending was a bit cheesy and too vague, but the 30% score on RT is completely unjustified. Performances were on point. The ship was amazing. I dug the characters. Pratt's character's decisions especially made for good conversation/debate after the film for our group. You can't ask for much more after a night at the cinema, so I recommend this one.

Regarding that ending...

Spoiler

They both died on the flight and likely never procreated lest they condemn their offspring to the same lonely fate. However,that was all implied.This film was meant to be a sci-fi romance film, and I think they wanted it to have a happy ending. So that was a decent enough compromise in the romance department. However, the sci-fi side demanded more answers than Lawrence's slapped on voice-over and an Andy Garcia cameo. 

On 12/25/2016 at 0:11 PM, GallowKnight said:

Alien: Covenant Trailer

Im interested to know exactly what the purpose of this movie is. Prometheus, as hugely flawed as it is, at least seemed to be trying to tell an interesting story about who created the Aliens. This.. this just looks like a sort of Alien knock off, not really doing anything other than re-doing the standard Alien story or a crew aboard a ship with a deadly xenomorph running around.

8 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Im interested to know exactly what the purpose of this movie is. Prometheus, as hugely flawed as it is, at least seemed to be trying to tell an interesting story about who created the Aliens. This.. this just looks like a sort of Alien knock off, not really doing anything other than re-doing the standard Alien story or a crew aboard a ship with a deadly xenomorph running around.

I think the idea is to explore the world the Engineers came from, so it's more a continuation of Prometheus' open questions, you can see the dark liquid in the trailer which was probably the biggest mystery from Prometheus. I have high hopes for it, but hope the script is good as Scott doesn't always appear to be able to tell good from bad in that regard.

Archived