Paul Rudd is Antman!

trickster

It was dumb. But also appropriate? Hydra was the problem they were working away on at the time. They've got to burn through the stuff they've started before jumping all over the board to tap totally new stuff, because imagine how much dumber it'd seem if they went back to Hydra after wetting everyone's appetite with a new phase of enemies. Eh. Maybe there's not always a stroke of genius there in the cards to be found. Not one that's so real-ish, like a problem that one of our gov agencies would actually encounter.

Meh. I think they really dropped the ball with the Hydra-being-behind-it-all-along thing, so I found the final act quite disappointing. The first Iron Man is the best standalone so far IMO.

I thought that at first, but I'm less and less bothered by it the more times I watch the movie. Now it doesn't even faze me anymore.

71% now. 73% from 'top critics,' but then it's a much smaller number of reviewers.

Avengers 2 got 74%, so if Ant Man gets about the same level from critics (ie non-comic book people) that's good news to me.

I saw the preview, which I normally ignore and thought it looked so bland it wasn't funny. I mean, there are so many heist movies with twists like the Italian Job (either), Ronin, Inside Man, The Score, Oceans 11, Point Break, which if you'd tried to do those and add super-hero elements would really distinguish it from the main Marvel movies to date. But it looks like from the preview to be just a generic, good guy/bad guy, fight it out for a key technology, rah rah rah, that they've done ad-nauseam.

It will have to get a LOT of good reviews here to make me want to see it in cinemas.

Saw it this evening. I thought it was decent, but not especially exciting. Probably a 6.5/10.

The rumors are true. Be sure to stay for my the mid credits and post credits scenes. Nothing especially earth-shattering, but both have some significance (not Like Howard the Duck or an alien dog chasing pigeons).

So I saw a trailer on TV the other day that included Falcon in it...

I was very surprised as I considered that to be at least a minor spoiler. :dunno:

Two reviews I've read so far both also praised it as really good, with the villain - per usual for Marvel - being one of the weakest parts.  I've heard great things about Michael Pena's character.  

Everyone seems to say Pena is the stand-out. Kind of makes you think they should have given him the key role or thought harder about how they portray the central cast. It worries me that he's the actor everyone is talking about. It would be like everyone saying Coulson was the stand-out of Avengers - it'd imply the others weren't doing a great job. Of course it could be that everyone does a great job and that Pena still outshines them. That seems less likely though.

I have a free cinema ticket so I'll probably go and watch it next week. There's not much else on but it does seem like the opening weekend isn't going to be as strong if the comments here are to go by. It's like we all have to be convinced to go and see it which isn't usually the case with Marvel.

I'll watch it; it has Evangeline Lily in it whom I quite like (and Michael Douglas), and I get the impression the movie isn't straining for a depth it does not have. I liked Age of Ultron but apparently, I'm less tired of heist-themed stories than I am of ones where some powerful being finds humanity wanting and decides to destroy it, until some other being comes along and says "Oh no, they're not so bad."

I liked it a lot more than I thought I would... the cameos were all well done... great mid and post credit scenes.... the kid was terrific ... Corey Stoll is at his best when he's being a douchebag... Rudd was really likeable

...and I totally agree with Michael Pena... he was a stand out in this movie, and when you consider the part he played, the guy has amazing range...

I liked it. Better than Guardians, but then I wasn't particularly enthusiastic about Guardians. There were some timeline issues with the training montage, but I'm willing to look past that. It was certainly a unique way to tell the story.

I thought it was a fun film. Nothing particularly special and likely to end up being classed as one of the lesser Marvel films but it was entertaining. I agree that it had the typical Marvel problem of having a fairly dull villain, the actor did his best but he wasn't really given anything to work with. There were a few really good scenes, the miniaturisation gimmick does allow for some memorable and unusual action sequences and although the final confrontation was reminiscent in some ways of just about every other Marvel action scene finale the fact that [spoiler]it was set among a child's train set did help it stand out, and the sudden enlargement of Thomas The Tank Engine was probably the most amusing part of the film. Michael Pena's unique way of delivering exposition was also amusing, it felt like something that might have been left over from Edgar Wright's work on the film.[/spoiler].

Marvel's inability to create an interesting villain is reaching epically hilarious proportions. If Thanos is a bust, then their whole universe could come crumbling down.

I think one of their problems is that they gave away a lot of their most interesting villains.  In a way, not having Spiderman / X-men / Fantastic Four villains is as bad as not having the heroes.  Their writers have not been able to elevate the mostly second-tier villains they've been using like they've done with the heroes (Kingpin and Loki being the exceptions).  Spiderman coming back should definitely help some.

Archived