Paul Rudd is Antman!

trickster

It reminds me of The Incredible Hulk in a way I can't quite pinpoint. Also, Paul Rudd reminds me of...Paul Rudd. He has like 2 lines in the teaser, and they're for comic effect. And that scene at his daughter's birthday or whatever was right out of Knocked Up.

The brief glance at the guy from House of Cards (bald guy) makes it look like he will be the villain, and I think he can do that fine.

My guess it that Michael Douglas is going to steal the show in an otherwise mediocre attempt at reproducing the comedy effect of Guardians. According to Wikipedia, the story is still by Edgar Wright...which doesn't really work if he's not scriptwriter and director too. Still, I'll reserve true judgement till after I've seen it.

I think Wright got an honorary credit, as to hear Rudd explain it, pretty much the entire script was re-written. Kind of feels like Wright is only still attached to this movie (by Marvel, mind you) as a way to appease those upset with his departure. Before the fallout happened, it always felt like they were trying to use Wright as their way to sell the movie and not the actual character.

I'm intrigued by it. It could be a dark horse. Keep in mind that Ant-Man has been in development since long before Guardians. And, really, all of Marvel's films are low key comedies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xInh3VhAWs8

Here is the trailer. I couldn't find it linked here in the thread. It does look a bit underwhelming,,,

It's a teaser not a trailer. And also, given the schedule, likely rushed out before almost any post-production work was done to meet a marketing deadline. Which is probably why it's so sub-par and shows so little of anything.

Well this short piece of footage has surfaced on Imgur, I'm not sure what the source is though. http://i.imgur.com/usjEM0b.gif

And these two sets of released pictures. Nothing particularly new except a high res look at YJ.

http://www.liveforfilms.com/2015/01/08/new-ant-man-images-show-paul-rudd-evangeline-lilly/

http://www.liveforfilms.com/2015/01/11/new-ant-man-images-show-the-yellowjacket-suit/

• 2 months later...

If this wasn't a Marvel movie, I don't think I'd be interested.

Now, I felt the same about GotG before the first trailer came out. The trailer sold me and the movie delivered. So, I'm willing to be convinced Ant Man is worth seeing.

But the Ant Man didn't leave me with the same level of interest. At all. So, right now, this is looking like a rental.

I've always liked Pym's character peripheral to a main story... and as a scientist, not as Ant Man.... I would have liked for them to introduce Pym sooner in that capacity.... even if he was just mentioned

That said, I fully expect to dig this movie, and come out of realizing why I don't get paid the big bucks to make these decisions.

Full trailer is out

Looks good. The Thomas the Tank Engine scene got a sensible chuckle out of me.

That scene was excellent as I liked how they were really playing around with scale. The notion of being smaller makes you stronger is an interesting take and gives a reason for why soldiers would want to be tiny (except for espionage).

I felt that a long time ago. All these movies follow the same predictable pattern.

I honestly don't mind though as the formula is reliable. I'm guessing this one may be different but I will be sharing your groans if it involves corporate takeovers as that is becoming far too predictable.

It looks solid... but I just can't help but feel the beginnings of SuperHero fatigue as I watch this.

Well, I'm not massively anticipating it but I think that's more to do with the character (he can talk to ants) than the fact it's another superhero film.

Weirdly I felt the jokey parts worked the worst in the trailer which is the inverse of what I was expecting. You'd think this one would have to be played for laughs but I enjoyed the more action based scenes.

• 2 months later...

Archived