Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (Thread 2D2)

Howdyphillip

That aspect was sort of weirdly retconned though. Vader's appearance can be explained by the fact that he was burnt alive and then spent twenty-something years inside of a suit. Palpatine got...force shocked or something...and rapidly aged him? I don't know, that part always felt weird and totally unnecessary. I'd always just assumed the Emperor had a supernaturally extended lifespan.

That aspect was sort of weirdly retconned though. Vader's appearance can be explained by the fact that he was burnt alive and then spent twenty-something years inside of a suit. Palpatine got...force shocked or something...and rapidly aged him? I don't know, that part always felt weird and totally unnecessary. I'd always just assumed the Emperor had a supernaturally extended lifespan.

Yeah, given that he was already an old man in Episode I, and there are supposed to be about 30 years between that and the original film, they really should have just gone with the 'butter spread over too much toast' theory that did for Smeagol, but eh. That's what they went with in Ep III and it was pretty clear.

Larry Kasdan apparently doesn't personally regard the prequels as canon, and he's co-writing the new movies. I find this hilarious. Although I suspect LucasArts would prevent him from doing anything to contradict the prequels too much.

Larry Kasdan apparently doesn't personally regard the prequels as canon, and he's co-writing the new movies. I find this hilarious. Although I suspect LucasArts would prevent him from doing anything to contradict the prequels too much.

I think everyone is more likely to just subtly pretend the PTs don't exist.

Na, using like 30 seconds of Force Lightning aged him for something like 30-40 years. Because it's Star Wars and bad guys need to look like bad guys I suppose.

That does makes Palpatine kind of a chump compared to my Sorcerer in The Old Republic. He can fry people all day every day and still look dashing. Sith ain't what they used to be, I tell ya.

Na, using like 30 seconds of Force Lightning aged him for something like 30-40 years. Because it's Star Wars and bad guys need to look like bad guys I suppose.

That does makes Palpatine kind of a chump compared to my Sorcerer in The Old Republic. He can fry people all day every day and still look dashing. Sith ain't what they used to be, I tell ya.

I thought the rebound on the force lightning was supposed to have broken the illusion that was around Palpatine or something like that.

I thought the rebound on the force lightning was supposed to have broken the illusion that was around Palpatine or something like that.

The rebound is just another unnessesary explanation from the PT. It's just another midichlorians.

Bilbo was the one who used the phrase, but he was describing the same effect that made Smeagol long-lived and dessicated.

Naw he was talking about himself there, saying while he looked young, he felt stretched like butter over to much bread.

Its just a bunch of starwars imagery shoved at me so i'll spend money eventually. The film is probably going to be a bunch of references and nods the the original film meant to make the fan boys go "ooo baby".

lightsaber gimmick is the kiss of death.

Naw he was talking about himself there, saying while he looked young, he felt stretched like butter over to much bread.

nice Dagoth-Ur

Disney is working on releasing the unadulterated Trilogy on Blue Ray.

Yay! Personally I hope they aren't too purist about it; there's a big difference between adding CGI Jabbas or bowdlerising Han, and fixing matte boxes around tie fighters and missing lightsaber effects.

Archived