Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens ( Thread C-3PO )

Bluetiger

You are flat out wrong...

If I said that Mark Hamil looks like he is 20 years old now, What do you think would be the objective response to this? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the vast majority, if not all people, would say that this is incorrect. My subjective truth in this matter would not match the objective truth.

Now that this lesson of Jr. High philosophy is over, I stand by my statement. There are three lead actors returning to the Star Wars films. All of them truthfully and objectively have aged 40 years. When two of them are male, and one of them is female singling out the female to make negative comments about the aging process is sexist. 

got it. "Objectively" means what the vast majority of people subjectively believe. That's quite a high school philosophy teacher you had. :lol:

What!?! :rofl:  What are you guys even arguing about? I mean, seriously? We've got a new Star Wars movie coming out that looks great. Even if it it's a massive turd, we can still say that at least we had hope for a brief time.

Ah, man! Love to all ya'll!!

Bringing balance to the forum :)

Exactly how many spin-offs does Disney plan ? First there's rouge ones, then the Han Solo one, and apparently two more ? :shocked:

Franchises are all the rage and will be until they're not. From day one Disney said there hope is to have a Star Wars related film out every year once VII is out. That's not actually so bad when you compare it to marvel with 2-3 movies a year. There's also plenty of mileage to be had from the Star wars universe. I suspect they have a roadmap for the next decade at least so none of these films should be "rushed".

The question is whether they'll do any more "episodes" after the new trilogy? I suspect they will as I think they'll want to keep a core group of films around the spin-offs and keep moving forward with the storyline.

As long as the films are good (and I'm fine with the stand-alones being merely solid as long as they tackle different things) I'm more than happy to know I've got plenty of star wars to look forward to. Fingers crossed they've been in talks with the Marvel guys - not so much in terms of style of film but in terms of making a brand and conveyor belt. Pixar might also be worth chatting with too. I'd rather they talk to Marvel than the folks who made Pirates of the Caribbean.

Exactly how many spin-offs does Disney plan ? First there's rouge ones, then the Han Solo one, and apparently two more ? :shocked: 

2015 : Force Awakens ep.7
2016 : Rogue One ( Anthology 1 )
2017: Ep.8
2018: movie about Han Solo? ( Anthology 2 )
2019 ep.9
2020: Anthology 3

+ season 2 Star Wars Rebels
+ books, comics, games, toys

:lol:  Quoting this for sober Jace :P

Bringing balance to the forum :)

I get a few drinks in me and a couple of matches into Battlefield 4, add listening to Angry Eminem... Real-Shit Jace comes out. :laugh: :hat: :o

I get a few drinks in me and a couple of matches into Battlefield 4, add listening to Angry Eminem... Real-Shit Jace comes out. :laugh: :hat: :o

Sounds like your anger management courses are working out. :lol:

I've learned many months ago to not combine alcohol and BF4, it's always a disaster.

I don't think there's actually been any solid plans for the anthologies beyond the Han Solo one. Clearly Disney are not going to stop with five new films if they're successful, but by not going too all-out crazy to start with, they can plan and adapt.

I think a live-action TV series is also a shoe-in if the initial films are successful, and we already know that the video games are being relaunched.

I just hope they're not sacrificing quality for quantity.

I think probably not. They're following the Marvel model of getting different creative teams on board working from a big masterplan with different casts. That should help keep things fresh, as each creative team is actually being given a decent amount of time (2-3 years) per film to get it right. That's why Rian Johnson may not be back for Ep IX, even though he's outlining it.

The previous way of getting these kind of films out is to shoot them back-to-back, but that has a mixed hit rate. The Cinematic Universe approach improves the chances of each film being good.

I am calling you out for sexism for the simple fact that you have compared three people who have aged 40 years, two of them men and one of them a woman, and you have made disparaging remarks about the woman. All three of them look and sound objectively 40 years older, yet you seem to be "worried" about Carrie Fisher. Like it or not, this is sexist. I am also going to assume that you aren't really aware that this is sexist because we are ingrained with this in our society.  

Before you type out a heated response, I want you to sit back and think a bit about what I am saying. When I call you out for sexist remarks, I am not saying that you are a terrible person. What I am saying is that your world view is skewed and it can find you hurting other people. I know this is the internet, and the first response in a disagreement with two people is to dig in and double down on your argument, but singling out Carrie Fisher for "poorly" aging is pretty much an indefensible position.

In context, this kind of "look, kids, don't do drugs or you'll end up like this" shtick is more common with male rock stars. Keith Richards, most famously.

The problem here really stems from the fact that there were so few women characters in the original Star Wars movies. We have four actors still on board (if you include Anthony Daniels) and it's a 3:1 male:female ratio. Objectively, Fisher has not aged as well (regardless of gender) as them. 

Truth is, Harrison Ford has aged very well. My dad is the same age and Ford looks a good ten years younger. Daniels looks the same as when I saw him MC a convention before Episode 1.

Would the guy who caused this uproar been better off saying Fisher hasn't aged as well as, say, Helen Mirren, Donna Mills, or Raquel Welch or any of the women on this over 60 list?

To me, Fisher looks better now than she has in years (Hamill too for that matter). Her wit is as sharp as ever and she's very open about her past. Can't wait to see her be Leia on screen again.

Hamill with that beard looks the perfect part of an older Jedi Master.

"Chewie, we're home" indeed.

Archived