[spoilers] True Detective Season 2: Like blue balls in our hearts

Kat

Even though Stan was going to have a bigger role, it's not like they filmed it and he got cut - the actor said those were all the scenes he filmed. So you can't blame editing or directing, just the script/showrunner. 

Seth Meyers: True Detective Quote or Fortune Cookie

I am sure most of the crappiness of this season can be blamed at Pizzolatto wanting to prove that the first season's success is all due to his brilliance, and had nothing to do with Fukunaga or McConnaghey and Harrelson. That's why he's throwing all this overcomplicated plot out there, to show what big plot muscles he has. That's why this dialog is all so hilariously self-important.

I bet he pays a lot of attention to the critical and fan reception and is gnashing his teeth about the near-universal assessment of a big drop-off.

I am sure most of the crappiness of this season can be blamed at Pizzolatto wanting to prove that the first season's success is all due to his brilliance, and had nothing to do with Fukunaga or McConnaghey and Harrelson. That's why he's throwing all this overcomplicated plot out there, to show what big plot muscles he has. That's why this dialog is all so hilariously self-important.

I bet he pays a lot of attention to the critical and fan reception and is gnashing his teeth about the near-universal assessment of a big drop-off.

These are huge assumptions to make about someone we don;t know AT ALL, but....i think you might be right. Honestly, im only watching this season due to Colin Farrel, which is something i NEVER thought i would say.  

These are huge assumptions to make about someone we don;t know AT ALL, but....i think you might be right. Honestly, im only watching this season due to Colin Farrel, which is something i NEVER thought i would say.  

I agree they're big assumptions, but I can't escape that feeling after some of the interviews I've read and that stupid dig at Fukunaga. Who does that except a sad, insecure little person?

ETA: To be perfectly honest, seeing Pizzolatto's mistakes has made me turn a jaundiced eye on some of my own past serialized fiction and story work -- particularly the overuse of conspiracies to feel good about one's own cleverness, and the use of seemingly significant but actually meaningless references or tropes to imply worldbuilding depth. So maybe I'm just projecting. But maybe it takes one to know one.

Right, ok. I thought you'd watched seven episodes and hated every minute of it. Although is there really that much difference between four eps you hated and seven? I'm not sure.

I was perfectly happy with the casting of Colin Farrell before the season started. And almost as content with the casting of VV. Not even really sure why people were bashing them so much before the show aired. If I've seen a credible performance from an actor once then I know they have it in them, no matter whether they've made poor/questionable movie choices or turned in bad performances in between.

Right, ok. I thought you'd watched seven episodes and hated every minute of it. Although is there really that much difference between four eps you hated and seven? I'm not sure.

I was perfectly happy with the casting of Colin Farrell before the season started. And almost as content with the casting of VV. Not even really sure why people were bashing them so much before the show aired. If I've seen a credible performance from an actor once then I know they have it in them, no matter whether they've made poor/questionable movie choices or turned in bad performances in between.

Some actors can lose it though. I'm pretty sure there was a time where Nic Cage and Johnny Depp could act. It's still in them somewhere but it's buried so deep it's unlikey to ever be retrieved unless their bank balances and/or roles start to dry up. I guess it depends on what films you've seen actors in but VV is still a better pick than Adam Sandler that's for certain.

I agree they're big assumptions, but I can't escape that feeling after some of the interviews I've read and that stupid dig at Fukunaga. Who does that except a sad, insecure little person?

ETA: To be perfectly honest, seeing Pizzolatto's mistakes has made me turn a jaundiced eye on some of my own past serialized fiction and story work -- particularly the overuse of conspiracies to feel good about one's own cleverness, and the use of seemingly significant but actually meaningless references or tropes to imply worldbuilding depth. So maybe I'm just projecting. But maybe it takes one to know one.

I think there's a couple of things going on and viewers/media aren't entirely innocent either. Season 1 had people proclaiming Pizzolatto as the 21st Century's Shakespeare. Everyone, including myself, were praising him and it was hard to browse the internet without some feature on how Nic was the most powerful man in TV and rampant speculation as to how and when he'd perform his next screenplay miracle.

I can't see how that wouldn't affect a creator and it would take a strong will not to buy into the hype surrounding you.

The thing is, I have friends who saw through McCog and they've always thought his musings were ridiculous BS. When I think about it they were absolutely right it's just that McoG and the character of Rust (but probably just as important Harrelson's eye rolling at the dialogue in show) made it acceptable for me. So I'm not sure the dialogue is any worse - it's probably of the same style but without an in-show acknowledgement of it being ridiculous. The question is whether Nic realised this or not when he was writing both seasons?

The other factor which is where the media/us come in as that we all like to see the mighty fall. Given how popular season 1 was, there were always going to knives at the ready and as soon as they smelled blood they set upon the show with glee. Because the hate can also be entertaining and I'm sure there are many people who were writing columns praising Piz, who are now damning him and accusing him of letting them down. It's how these things work.

The curious thing now is how Pizzolatto handle this when it comes to season 3 or future work. Does he take some of the criticism on board and improve or does he continue to beleive he's the season 1 genuis we proclaimed him. I think that will say more about him. I just hope he doesn't say "fuck it" and quits as it would be sad to see that happen just because a creator produces something smelly. I'm sure glad Aronofsky didn't quit after "The Fountain" and I hope he didn't after "noah".

I'm not even saying this as someone who's a massive fan of this season - I just think the reaction is magnified because of the previous success. I also think it's slightly hypocritical to accuse someone of being an egomaniac when they had the benefit of a year of being built up by everyone into thinking he should see himself as a god.

I'm curious as to how the Fukunaga film will be received. I suspect the narrative will be better if the film is good because we can hail him as the true genius of season 1 and feel sorry for him having to work with such a jealous credit stealing ogre as Pizzolatto (although his behaviour regarding this relationship is something I'm not defending).

I'm sure glad Aronofsky didn't quit after "The Fountain"

The Fountain is an excellent movie! I thought it was really creative and showed me things I hadn't seen before. 

Edit: I'll probably have a longer post later but I'm very skeptical about laying any sort of blame on the media/ us. From what I've read of NP, he didn't need any help believing 'the hype' as it were ( to be honest though, I don't think any of that really matters much) 

Some actors can lose it though. I'm pretty sure there was a time where Nic Cage and Johnny Depp could act. It's still in them somewhere but it's buried so deep it's unlikey to ever be retrieved unless their bank balances and/or roles start to dry up. I guess it depends on what films you've seen actors in but VV is still a better pick than Adam Sandler that's for certain.

I saw Nicholas Cage in a movie called Joe not long ago, he can definitely still act.

Also, Adam Sandler is about as low as the bar gets, no? :P

I am sure most of the crappiness of this season can be blamed at Pizzolatto wanting to prove that the first season's success is all due to his brilliance, and had nothing to do with Fukunaga or McConnaghey and Harrelson...

..or indeed Thomas Ligotti.

Like many fans of weird fiction, I was overjoyed to discover HBO’s True Detective.  But as the season progressed, I became increasingly uneasy.  It seemed to me that True Detective writer Nic Pizzolatto was “borrowing” words and phrasing from other authors, especially Thomas Ligotti.  Recently, I expressed my concerns on one of the Lovecraft eZine video shows and was then contacted by Jon Padgett, the founder of the website Thomas Ligotti Online.

As I reviewed Jon’s research, and did more of my own, any doubts I had about plagiarism disappeared.  It became obvious to me that Pizzolatto had plagiarized Thomas Ligotti and others — in some places using exact quotes, and in others changing a word here and there, paraphrasing in much the same way that a high school student will cheat on an essay by copying someone else’s work and substituting a few words of their own.

Plagiarism FTW!

The other factor which is where the media/us come in as that we all like to see the mighty fall. Given how popular season 1 was, there were always going to knives at the ready and as soon as they smelled blood they set upon the show with glee. Because the hate can also be entertaining and I'm sure there are many people who were writing columns praising Piz, who are now damning him and accusing him of letting them down. It's how these things work.

I don't know about this. I think people were way more generous than they would have been without season 1. The first 3 episodes are at 76, 86, and 77 % on Rotten Tomatoes, and those episodes were awful, garbage television. If it hadn't been for Season 1, I would have quit the show at episode 3. 

I'm going to come right out and say that Nicholas Cage is one of the first people that come to mind when I think of actors who can turn it on sometimes and phone it in other times. One might say he is the classic example, in fact. And who else could've done such a blinding job in the remake of The Wicker Man?

Johnny Depp was amazing in the 90s(Donnie Brasco, Fear and Loathing) but his movies in this 00s to present leave a lot to be desired. I do like Secret Window, I think his relationship w/ Tim Burton has definitely overrun it's course and they need to split up permanently.

Archived