[spoilers] True Detective Season 2: Like blue balls in our hearts

Kat

Who was the guy in the underground that Kitsch had been researching?

Police Chief Holloway from the Vinci PD. All this season I thought the actor was Antonio Fargas who played Huggy Bear on Starsky and Hutch and Flyguy in I'm Gonna Get You Sucka

Not a bad episode, too much of an info dump, but the pacing of the plot has been erratic all season and there have been too many moving parts. Pizzolato overcomplicated his story.

So, Paul seems to have been pretty expendable. IMO they shouldn't even have written him into the story. Those other mercs seemed pretty incompetent.

I actually enjoyed Frank's scenes this episode. I still think Jordan has been setting him up or ripping him off.

That was a romantic first date for Ray and Ani: bottom shelf liquor drank out of plastic cups and a "fire" in the "fireplace".

No real surprise to the identity of the birdman.

I really liked this episode. Good tension. For a moment, I thought Woodrough would make it out. Damn. I did like how he was like, "Fuck you," and kept going for his gun.  

Oddly, I find myself rooting for Frank Semyon to rain holy motherfucking vengeance on those that stole from him. 

...I did not expect that. 

And Frank was telling the truth all along about the meth head. I wonder how Velcoro will react to hearing that Semyon killed the man who provided the bad tip already.  

The 'everything is fucking' line made me laugh. I enjoyed that episode though. Edit: The scene with VV and Blake was well done, as was the moment between McAdams and her father. 

I still find it hard to follow the names, it might be easy to follow for some people, but it isn't for me. I don't watch with subtitles on, so maybe that's the problem. I'm not surprised people read recap/ reviews - it's not the easiest show to follow, and I think that's a byproduct of the storytelling being a bit murky, as opposed to viewers not paying attention. 

The last couple of episodes have been much more engaging than the ones preceding them, which is a shame, because I think they wasted some time on plot points that don't really matter. 

Yeah the "everything is fucking" line was a groaner for sure but I'm not complaining that it's gotten more engaging/better as it goes along, hopefully they end next week on a high note.
I think it's interesting they haven't announced who the director is for the finale.

Who was the guy in the underground that Kitsch had been researching?

Yes the show is very poorly structured but if you can;t remember who the police chief is, even tho hes been on screen at least three times, well then...that's on you. 

Loved the episode, and also feel bad for Paul, as well as Em.
But he did go out like a boss.

I actually was a little shocked to see the attorney dead, and I don't remember her name either.

I was also relieved to see what appeared to be genuine remorse on the part of Ani's father about what happened to her, and that he didn't seem to think that was okay.

Wow.You guys are hard to please.

Right? ...but the the thing with the list was just lazy. That could have easily been avoided. Like someone said, they could have simply cut the paper in half.

I really enjoyed the episode. Granted, I had IMDB open so the names wouldn't lose me, but I really liked the episode. Frank's best moments for me are still when he doesn't say anything at all. That's when I like him best.

This was the first good episode of the season if you ask me. Pretty much everything was really good, apart from the occasional line of clunky dialogue. My favourite of those was:

Velcoro; 'Do you miss it?' Ani: 'What?' Velcoro: 'Anything' :lmao:  Just so fucking terrible XD

This just shows you how much of a mess the previous episodes were. This is what we should have gotten all along. I'm a little bit surprised that David Morse isn't a villain, but I'm cool with that. VV and Taylor Kitsch were surprisingly the most valuable players this episode. As much as I disliked them before, they really went for it. Although Woodrugh is a stupid idiot for not checking his corners before he got out. I actually thought he was a dead man when he cleared that t-crossing in the building, right before he actually left the building and got shot. He didn't even check if there was anyone in the corridor to his right. When nothing happened I assumed he was safe, so when Cromwell shot him I was a bit surprised.

I should care more about Woodrough's death, but after the heartache of losing Stan I decided it was best not to get emotionally invested in these characters. 

Dear Stan, I meant to write you sooner but I've just been busy
You said your girlfriend's pregnant now, how far along is she?
Look, I'm really flattered you would call your daughter that
and here's an autograph for your brother,
I wrote it on the Starter cap
I'm sorry I didn't see you at the show, I musta missed you
Don't think I did that shit intentionally just to diss you
But what's this shit you said about you like to cut your wrists too?
I say that shit just clowning dogg,
c'mon - how fucked up is you?
You got some issues Stan, I think you need some counseling
to help your ass from bouncing off the walls when you get down some
And what's this shit about us meant to be together?
That type of shit'll make me not want us to meet each other
I really think you and your girlfriend need each other
or maybe you just need to treat her better
I hope you get to read this letter, I just hope it reaches you in time
before you hurt yourself, I think that you'll be doing just fine
if you relax a little, I'm glad I inspire you but Stan
why are you so mad? Try to understand, that I do want you as a fan
I just don't want you to do some crazy shit
I seen this one shit on the news a couple weeks ago that made me sick
Some dude was drunk and drove his car over a bridge
and had his girlfriend in the trunk, and she was pregnant with his kid
and in the car they found a tape, but they didn't say who it was to
Come to think about it, his name was... it was you
Damn!

^^Woodrugh is the truest detective of them all IMHO. He's usually the only one who actually gets things done. Ray and Ani...they just have personal problems and happen to be cops.

I think the last couple of episodes have been better but the first half of the season was a total mess, and boring to boot.  Last season this was one of my favorite shows but this season there are probably at least 20 shows I'd recommend before it.  Even in this episode, which was pretty good, you still had several scenes full of clunky exposition and a lot of Woodrugh's material felt contrived.

It was a nice episode on a pieces-falling-into-place sort of way, but it really highlighted how slapdash and inconsistent all the groundwork-laying had been.

But I'm happy for Velcoro and Bezzerides. In a relentlessly fucked up world, they can make each other happy for whatever remaining hours they have left.

^^Woodrugh is the truest detective of them all IMHO. He's usually the only one who actually gets things done. Ray and Ani...they just have personal problems and happen to be cops.

Yeah Woodrugh is the only one who does boring cop stuff like...research....gathering evidence......interviewing witnesses. He's also a stone cold  terminator, which  makes it doubly odd that Cromwell got the drop on him, but he had to die I guess.

This was the first good episode of the season if you ask me. Pretty much everything was really good, apart from the occasional line of clunky dialogue. My favourite of those was:

100% agree with this, VV was killer in this ep in particular. So it turns out VV IS a good actor after all and it WAS the really piss poor writing that made me think otherwise. As ever Farrell was great, he's the only one who's emerged from what's been a bit of a train wreck with his rep enhanced. That dude has made silk out of a sow's ass of a script and he deserves to get better work after this.

Archived