[spoilers] True Detective Season 2: Like blue balls in our hearts

Kat

Main reason I don't think she's Birdman is because I don't see why she'd use riot shells on Velcoro. It makes sense why Cromwell would; not wanting to kill a fellow officer who wasn't a threat. It doesn't make sense why she wouldn't, if anything she'd welcome the chance to kill another dirty cop.

But would she know that he was dirty? Given what we have seen of Cromwell, he doesn't mess around. I think that if he was up to some pranks, stealing Frank's money and shit, he wouldn't hesitate killing Velcoro and his moustache.

The prevailing theory on reddit is that this is the orphan girls brother and most likely the birdman

I would really, really hate it for that to be the case, but it wouldn't surprise me. Pizzolato has shown to be terrible at rapping up his plots, making the birdman the inconsequential set photographer whom we saw in all but one scene would definitely not surprise me. Btw, is it just me or do those two actors really look nothing like those kids in the picture at all? 

I would really, really hate it for that to be the case, but it wouldn't surprise me. Pizzolato has shown to be terrible at rapping up his plots, making the birdman the inconsequential set photographer whom we saw in all but one scene would definitely not surprise me. Btw, is it just me or do those two actors really look nothing like those kids in the picture at all? 

Yeah would kind of remind me of the lawnmower man being in that one scene early in season one. And yes the photos look nothing alike

My favourite part of the episode was the smiley face emoji at the end of Paul's blackmail texts. I don't know why, but I found that hilarious.

I did, too. It made me snort out loud.

And yes the photos look nothing alike

I'm glad that it isn't just me :D

Am I the only one who thought the two orphaned kids were hispanic? Casper's secretary's complexion does not match that of the kids in the photo.

No, I thought so to.

Good ep, continuing the momentum since the shootout.

Paul was nailed on for a tragic death but the coincidence of Cromwell being at the right exit from the tunnels is too much.  The police chief/commissioner could not have known which exit he would take, even assuming he regained consciousness and had cell phone signal in the tunnel.  I didn't recognize the police chief/commissioner, nor most of the other names thrown around, like the AG.  The mayor and Cromwell are the only corrupt officials who made a lasting impression.  It was clear that the conspiracy was about corrupt police, but too hard to retain the names of the various people we saw briefly on screen but not with heavy name attachment.

Paul's tryst with his ex-comrade did not seem to be a set up.  It sounded like Dixon took those photos of him without the ex-comrade knowing and then the police chief/commissioner found the photos in Dixon's apartment after he was killed.  I don't think we've heard yet why Dixon was specifically following Paul, unless it was because Paul was the one investigating the diamonds.

The secretary as Laura is a bit weak.  Why would she become his secretary just to kill him immediately after?  In that case just kill him as a complete stranger and do not risk any suspicion.  And she looks nothing like the photo.

I liked that there were at least some consequences for Ani.  She killed a guy (possibly self defense, but more likely was choking her to unconsciousness rather than death) and kidnapped a woman.  And as she admitted herself, she had been looking all her life for an opportunity to be violent toward a(ny) man.  As we saw with Ani, and with Farrell beating the bully's father and killing the presumed rapist, these detectives misuse their role for a violent outlet of their own anger and frustration.

Pizzolato being hell-bent at getting in a dig at Fukunaga and not caring it would further jumble the plot of the season is my only guess at the possibility of the robbery kids being the two questioned at the movie set.

I thought the girl killed Casper, but Cromwell was Birdman. Not that they were working together, just that he found the body and decided to drive it out to the highway for whatever reason (maybe thinking someone else killed Casper and he was trying to throw people off the trail?)

Main reason I don't think she's Birdman is because I don't see why she'd use riot shells on Velcoro. It makes sense why Cromwell would; not wanting to kill a fellow officer who wasn't a threat. It doesn't make sense why she wouldn't, if anything she'd welcome the chance to kill another dirty cop.

Eh.  Cromwell was part of the set up bust that got a ton of cops killed who were no threat to him.  The orphan girl would have no reason to want to kill random people, she would be focused on revenge.  However, the truth is, that Ray not dying was a poor move because it really doesn't make sense why the killer would even have birdshot on hand to load the gun with and not kill the intruder, so any resolution to this is going to be lame.

I did think this was a very good episode, well paced and everything interesting, even if we still see a lot of very implausible things happening, like Kitsch getting away from everyone and then randomly Cromwell is there waiting for him in the exact right place.

Who was the guy who shot Kitch at the end? And how did Frank came upon the diamonds, that he would sell to the Jews? I have English subtitles on, but I only understand half of the shit that's going on.
The guy who shot Kistch was one of the police officers at Vinci PD - Velcoro's boss, IIRC. 

Frank didn't come on the diamonds. He was arranging to buy them in exchange for the money he's about to steal from Osip and friends. Not sure it's such a smart play to buy from a bunch of Jewish crooks when he's going up against a Russian Israeli (whatever the hell that is), but that's what he's doing. 

Anyway, this ep was great but really highlighted for me what a waste of a season this has been. Farrell continues to absolutely kill it, his chemistry with McAdams is phenomenal and the show would have been insanely better had it been about them. Woodrugh's subplot comes to basically nothing at all and was essentially a giant pile of meh. Semyon finally does something more than talk big words, and it does rock - but it's so very late. 

And the plot is just so convoluted. I realize that it can be followed, but part of the problem is that not only do we have to figure out what's going on - we also have to figure out who is talking to who and what they've pieced together. Semyon was working for McCandless to recover the data, as an example - but we knew that McCandless was likely crooked. But the cops didn't know that. Ani not spilling the beans about her missing person, Velcoro still not telling anyone about his connection with Semyon...it's all a pile of confusing meh. 

It's also especially weird given the combinations. So Osip and the mayor's son were working together to undermine Frank and that had nothing to do with Caspere. Caspere was going to fuck over Frank anyway, and had probably already done so. Caspere's death was just a nice bonus. Cromwell giving the stuff to pawn off was a way to have the cops off the trail as well as do some damage to the Mexicans, I guess. The parties show the mayor's son and Osip with a bunch of hotshots, but they probably weren't in on anything. 

At least  we do know why whoever killed Caspere also shot Frank with buckshot; the police investigating was a feature, and one they wanted to continue. Why'd they burn the car though? That doesn't make any sense at all. 

As to this:

Eh.  Cromwell was part of the set up bust that got a ton of cops killed who were no threat to him.  The orphan girl would have no reason to want to kill random people, she would be focused on revenge.  However, the truth is, that Ray not dying was a poor move because it really doesn't make sense why the killer would even have birdshot on hand to load the gun with and not kill the intruder, so any resolution to this is going to be lame.

Because the only way that she's going to be able to get revenge on that whole conspiracy is to shine some light on it. Killing the non-dirty cops that are investigating isn't going to work. Birdman still wants the tape and hard drive - but doesn't want to kill the cop investigating. 

So they shoot him with buckshot or rock salt or whatever. As to why they had it on hand - that's what they used to blow away Caspere's genitals too, I bet. That's what they have. 

Don't think it's been posted yet -- Slate has a breakdown of the turgid and convoluted plot so far. And, most helpful to me, zeroes in on what is supposed to happen in the final episode.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/08/03/true_detective_season_two_a_guide_to_the_plot_of_this_confusing_season.html

Even a relatively straightforward summary of this complex-for-complexity's sake plot was exhausting to read.

Seriously, ugh. 

Like, cut out half of that. The missing person thing? Don't need it. It makes almost no sense why some random would be involved with Caspere at all. I get Caspere, Chessani, Pitlor and them were together - that makes some sense. Why would a random woman be involved? Just...ugh.

One of the better things about the first season was how tightly it was done. There were really not that many fake leads or fake important things, and things connected in a fairly organic way. This season not remotely so much. 

Don't think it's been posted yet -- Slate has a breakdown of the turgid and convoluted plot so far. And, most helpful to me, zeroes in on what is supposed to happen in the final episode.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/08/03/true_detective_season_two_a_guide_to_the_plot_of_this_confusing_season.html

Even a relatively straightforward summary of this complex-for-complexity's sake plot was exhausting to read.

That is one convoluted mess. This plot may have been easier to follow were these novels instead of television series. 

I loved the author of that article's take on the Frank and Jordan storyline.

I actually think, split in two, we could have had some excellent back-to-back seasons of True Detective.

Ani and Woodrough in one season. Velcoro and Semyon in another. No reason both stories would have had to stay in LA. I could see Velcoro and Semyon's thing working just as well in a place like Vegas or Chicago. And the only thing that keeps Ani out West is her guru dad.

I've actually gotten to like the LA highway shots. 

With enough episodes, I think all their storylines could have developed into some damn fine television. Even Kitsch's Woodrough was starting to grow on me at the end, but none of them really had a lot of room to develop a meaty character arc the way Rust and Marty did. 

Archived