[spoilers] True Detective Season 2: Like blue balls in our hearts

Kat

Season 1 is gone. It was something special. Move on. Write a third season but don't focus and topping season 1, that's nigh impossible if you're trying to do it. Concentrate on tightening up everything they went off the rails this time out. Cast strongly again, actor quality not name recognition, and go forward. Don't look back.

And season 2 is bad.  It's nothing special.  It's now just another cop show with a convoluted plot and borderline atrocious dialog.  So like I said, it would have been best for HBO to just keep it as a mini-series.  S3 doesn't even interest me and I very much doubt they'll do a S4.

And season 2 is bad.  It's nothing special.  It's now just another cop show with a convoluted plot and borderline atrocious dialog.  So like I said, it would have been best for HBO to just keep it as a mini-series.  S3 doesn't even interest me and I very much doubt they'll do a S4.

Oh I Don't know that I agree with that. It's an anthology series. The second series was a miss ultimately. Doesn't mean you don't go again if you can. But you try to adjust to the middle, not over compensate because the writer is ultimately to thin skinned to handle a great deal of success.

Not letting all the eggs rest in one man's hands is HBO's best course of action.

HBO doesn't tend to do a lot of editorial control. They're pretty famous for it, actually. 

What they will do is limit the budget and either dictate how many eps in a season or how much money the show gets. 

I think that what happens in the end will likely tell us about a season 3. If it finishes strong, people will remember it as being a fairly cool season, and it'll have enough buzz to move on. HBO would love to have something like an anthology show which can attract top name actors for a short time; it's really great for them and a very good model. Not sure if Pizz will be the one who ends up doing it in the future. 

HBO doesn't tend to do a lot of editorial control. They're pretty famous for it, actually. 

Usually. But the near total shake-up between S1 and S2 of The Leftovers makes me think they are willing to take a more active hand these days (although maybe that really was all Lindelof).

I think if they want to do an Anthology type show really well the best way would be to have different head writers/directors each "season" with an overall showrunner.

I wonder how long Pizzolatto worked on both scripts for season 1 and 2? He could have spent years ironing out season 1 while season 2 could have been the product of just a few months. It reminds me a lot of bands who's sophomore album is far weaker than their debut and the difference is often that the first album was the best material from several years. The second album is whatever they could throw together in 19 months.

Maybe they should let Pizz sit out next season as the writer but keep him as a showrunner? He could then take more time in  handing over a great "comeback" season later.

Maybe the anthology can lurch in some unexpected directions eg sci-fi detective story or one set in an ancient civilization? Some people still think there's a supernatural element to the show - do a supernatural detective story. Maybe "different" is the way to go while remaining in the anthology guidelines.

The only other anthology show I've watched is American Horror Story. And that's been going downhill since Season 2. I'm starting to think it's not a concept that ends well. Maybe like you say, the first season might have been a product of many years of work while the later stuff is more rushed. I think having a plan for several seasons, at least three, would work well.

Usually. But the near total shake-up between S1 and S2 of The Leftovers makes me think they are willing to take a more active hand these days (although maybe that really was all Lindelof).

Yea, I think this was Lindelof. I really like the idea.

The only other anthology show I've watched is American Horror Story. And that's been going downhill since Season 2. I'm starting to think it's not a concept that ends well. Maybe like you say, the first season might have been a product of many years of work while the later stuff is more rushed. I think having a plan for several seasons, at least three, would work well.

Season anthologies are certainly a tricky beast. I think episodic anthologies are easier as you have a whole bunch of stories lined up. I guess you could do that with a season anthology - it's not like if a season bombs you can't rework the next story as another show entirely. But branding does help while it works.

I guess they could adopt a model like with tie-in media eg "Doctor Who" or "Warhammer" (I guess star wars used to be in this category too) where several different authors are working on fulllength novels at the same time to ensure a steady release rate. Warhammer 40K apparently manages this while mainting high quality.

AHS is one of only a handful of shows where I've quit mid-episode (season 3). True Detective has a lot further to fall before it gets there.

As far as I know it's just a new setting. Same cast and crew though.

Ah, okay. I'm on board with that. I think I may have misunderstood the earlier post. I wonder if Perrotta is still involved creatively for season 2. 

I have no experience or knowledge about producing television shows, but I would think you're 100% right.  I also watched American Horror Story until this past season, and I think part of the reason anthology shows have to be extremely difficult is that you're starting from scratch every season.  Most shows have a backstory, and a character history that viewers already know and are familiar with.  This has to be easier to build on than starting with a brand new story and brand new characters every season.  Just the casting and sets have to be difficult all by themselves.

For the record, season 2 episode 7 has the highest rating(9.4) on imdb since season 1 episode 4(9.5). Not saying it's on par with season 1, but I doubt HBO will consider this season a failure by any means.

Yeah, this season has generated tons of buzz, and the viewing stats back up the fact that there will be a season 3.  I'm hoping they learn from season 2 and correct some of the sloppiness that we saw.  Several posters have used the word 'lazy' when describing this season and the writing.  That's the way it has struck me, for sure.  But I do think all 4 leads come out looking good.  VV has really come into his own in the last 3 episodes and I think that's what people will remember.  They will also remember the bad dialogue, I'm sure.   :)

Don't think it's been posted yet -- Slate has a breakdown of the turgid and convoluted plot so far. And, most helpful to me, zeroes in on what is supposed to happen in the final episode.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/08/03/true_detective_season_two_a_guide_to_the_plot_of_this_confusing_season.html

Even a relatively straightforward summary of this complex-for-complexity's sake plot was exhausting to read.

That's a great link. Got a LA Confidential vibe from reading that.

I'm not as down on this season as most everyone else is it seems. It certainly doesn't doesn't match Season 1 in quality and anticipation but that was a high bar anyway. I still find the show somewhat intriguing even though the plot is pretty complex (and as a fan of the intricacies of the Wire and Deadwood, I'm not sure how people were supposed to follow along with all the nuances presented in that article). I feel like some minor to medium adjustments to the dialogue and story could have catapulted the overall quality of the season immensely. I'm hoping a re-watch binge makes the show far more digestible and rewarding.

Can we all agree that Season 3 needs to be based solely around Ginger?

I think that his presence being missing season 2 is why subconsciously why most viewers don't this season holds up to the first.

Plus, this thread has been incredibly boring this year without all of the Ginger talk. 

I think that his presence being missing season 2 is why subconsciously why most viewers don't this season holds up to the first.

Plus, this thread has been incredibly boring this year without all of the Ginger talk. 

Pure Snark on your part? Maybe. Wrong? Absolutely not.

Fuck no, no, and hell no.

I caught up to episode 7 and have decided that I won't watch S3 unless everyone loves it after all 8 episodes are finished.

The big draw for me is the anthology format. I'm both someone who doesn't watch much tv and a completionist, so only having to commit to one season is perfect. None of my complaints about this season are original - everything that everyone else disliked, so did I. I think what would have kept me going is a stronger central mystery or at least a more compelling procedural.

Even when things in S1 weren't tying together satisfactorily, the atmosphere was great to view - even when exploring places and nothing happened, it was worth seeing the scenary going by. In contrast, I didn't feel that tension with Kitsch's shootout until the end even though it was life or death. FWIW, I think S1 comparisons are fair, because it's not the kind of show that would normally even cross my radar and it was entirely goodwill for S1 that made me watch S2. Like I said, I'm a completionist and it's only 8 episodes, but I won't watch something I think I'll spend next iteration hate watching. (I have GoT for that.)

Archived