Watch, Watched, Watching: The San Diego Sneak Preview Version

RedEyedGhost

Exactly. It feels like such a drop in quality, scope, potential. 

I just wish we could advance a little from Bond always having a much younger woman just fall at his feet adoringly. It's so  bloody tiresome, dull and predictable. And it keeps women in that lesser role where they need rescuing and can't wait to submit to smarmy old Bond. ICK. 

Fios was kind enough to give me a free rental so I went with 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Pretty good movie.  I was questioning myself throughout the whole film on what was going on above ground. 

The last 30 minutes were great.  Not upset at all with using my free rental on that. Solid movie.

4 hours ago, Isis said:

Exactly. It feels like such a drop in quality, scope, potential. 

I just wish we could advance a little from Bond always having a much younger woman just fall at his feet adoringly. It's so  bloody tiresome, dull and predictable. And it keeps women in that lesser role where they need rescuing and can't wait to submit to smarmy old Bond. ICK. 

That's one of the reasons why I was hoping that Salt could have become a franchise.... one of the reasons I always loved Angelina Jolie is that she never wanted to be a Bond girl, she wanted to be Bond... and I personally think she pulled it off...

On a side note, after finishing S2 of Bloodline (like it a lot).... we're 3 episodes into Goliath.... and we're loving it...

55 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Fios was kind enough to give me a free rental so I went with 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Pretty good movie.  I was questioning myself throughout the whole film on what was going on above ground. 

The last 30 minutes were great.  Not upset at all with using my free rental on that. Solid movie.

I thought the exact opposite. I really liked everything  except the ending. 

I had to roll my eyes a bit when she took out the alien/alien ship with a Molotov cocktail. Although, I did like that she chose to go help fight in the final scene. 

It didn't ruin the movie for me though. MEW & John Goodman (as usual) were both great.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

I thought the exact opposite. I really liked everything  except the ending. 

Reveal hidden contents

I had to roll my eyes a bit when she took out the alien/alien ship with a Molotov cocktail. Although, I did like that she chose to go help fight in the final scene. 

It didn't ruin the movie for me though. MEW & John Goodman (as usual) were both great.

Yeah I guess the molly was a bit too much in a sense. This isn't a Jack Reacher movie or anything. I enjoyed Michelle's escape from the bunker, is what I was getting at. And I also liked the choice she made at the end to go to the hospital in need opposed to searching for her past life that she was running from in the beginning of the film. And holy shit Emmett's death sucked.  I liked his character. Goodman's sudden draw of the gun made me jump.

Hacksaw Ridge is as good as advertised. Such an amazing story. I'm really suprised it took this long to make it into a movie tbh. I think it's probably the most brutal depiction of WWII I've seen on film. Even over the opening of SPR. Well acted all around, particularly Andrew Garfield, and Hugo Weaving, but Vince Vaughn kind of stole the show for me. At least during the training segments. His drill instructor is the best I've seen since Gny Sgt Hartman in FMJ. I'm not sure anything will ever top Band of Brothers for me as far as WWII goes, but this one's definitely up there. I highly recommend it.

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Hacksaw Ridge is as good as advertised. Such an amazing story. I'm really suprised it took this long to make it into a movie tbh. I think it's probably the most brutal depiction of WWII I've seen on film. Even over the opening of SPR. Well acted all around, particularly Andrew Garfield, and Hugo Weaving, but Vince Vaughn kind of stole the show for me. At least during the training segments. His drill instructor is the best I've seen since Gny Sgt Hartman in FMJ. I'm not sure anything will ever top Band of Brothers for me as far as WWII goes, but this one's definitely up there. I highly recommend it.

Great to hear. I thought it came out next weekend for whatever reason. 

Still watching the Turkish telenovella, The Magnificent Century -- up to episode 40.  With success of the series, later seasons are more lavishly budgeted, with some set pieces as the endless celebration of the Grand Vizier's wedding to Emperor Sulieman's beloved sister, and more scenes set outside the claustrophobia of the Instanbul palace and harem.  It does remain primarily a talking heads format, with the eyes of every character broadcasting enormous information about themselves and what issue / person / event is centered in a scene.  The clothes remain breathtaking.  One sees better over this long period the skills of the actors, particularly that of the actor who plays Sulieman.

And I'm about half way through the second season of Outlander.  The actors are superb!

23 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Might have to go see that tomorrow...

9 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

IFC has been repeatedly showing V For Vendetta today.

I see what you did there IFC.

Watching this on DVD now.  Noticed something for the first time tonight, about an hour and a half in Finch pulls out a "device" that ostensibly blocks listening devices in his office - it's a pop out book light (I have one exactly like it) with a red light :lol: 

I binged-watched the first 5 seasons of Shameless (US) in the last few weeks. Feeling like an emotional wreck. Watching helped me escape some shit in real life, but the show sucked me in and I ended up feeling real pain.

4 hours ago, williamjm said:

Watched Donnie Brasco for the first time. Good film, the acting was very good, although I suppose it's not surprising that Al Pacino would be good in such a role.

For me at least, that's one of those movies I enjoy more each time I watch it.

I finished watching all the episodes of Louie a couple weeks ago (I never watched much of it before) and now I'm going back and forth between Always Sunny in Philly and Shameless. I think the plotlines of all 3 shows are kind of jumbling into the same series in my head.

Went to see The Accountant today. I thought it was a reasonably good film, although a couple of plot points relied on some pretty big coincidences. Some parts of the plot and the action scenes showed some influence from the likes of Bourne or Taken and similar films, but the protagonist was distinctive enough to bring a bit of originality to the story.

On 11/4/2016 at 11:50 PM, Nictarion said:

I did go see it and definitely agree.  Great movie, and excellent performances as you said.  Especially Weaving - the facial ticks he adopted as part of his

old drunk dealing with PTSD

worked really well.  WRT to Vince Vaughn

it seemed really odd that he was their training officer and then also went over with them...

And it was sure nice of the army to provide Doss

hair gel when he was in prison, got to keep that hair properly quiffed!

Archived