Watch, Watched, Watching: The San Diego Sneak Preview Version

RedEyedGhost

Started watching Netflix's The Crown. Not sure how I feel about it really. Alright I suppose but nothing outstanding so far. Some good performances, and looks gorgeous, but not exactly the most interesting of subject matters to be honest. 

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I did go see it and definitely agree.  Great movie, and excellent performances as you said.  Especially Weaving - the facial ticks he adopted as part of his

Hide contents

old drunk dealing with PTSD

worked really well.  WRT to Vince Vaughn

Hide contents

it seemed really odd that he was their training officer and then also went over with them...

And it was sure nice of the army to provide Doss

Hide contents

hair gel when he was in prison, got to keep that hair properly quiffed!

I was also wondering why the VV character went overseas with the rest of the men. I saw it with my gf who was in the army and she said that's definitely not how it works these days. She also said she wasn't with anyone from basic training either. Again, I have to plead ignorance as to how it worked during WWII though.

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Hide contents

I was also wondering why the VV character went overseas with the rest of the men. I saw it with my gf who was in the army and she said that's definitely not how it works these days. She also said she wasn't with anyone from basic training either. Again, I have to plead ignorance as to how it worked during WWII though.

I can understand going over with the same guys with whom you trained, and then integrating with experienced battalions but not the training sergeant.  I don't know how it was in WWII either, but I can't recall seeing that in any other WWII movie or show.

Not knowing anything about Doss, I was 95% sure he died on the ride down.  I loved all the real life material at the end of the movie.

Amazing story, and the first movie that I've been to in a long time that had the audience applauding at the end.

Watched Where the Wild Things Are yesterday. Almost turned the film off about three times in the first ten minutes or so because it was too 'loud and annoying' for me. But I guess that's the whole theme of the film. On balance I felt disappointed with the film. It had a couple of funny moments, a couple of 'interesting' moments...but my main issue with it is that we don't get to see any character development in the protagonist. For all we know he just went back to being exactly how he was at the start of the film - there is no real evidence of his personal growth. Kind of wish I hadn't have bothered at all really. It was just like spending two hours with a bunch of really annoying, self-centred, immature people...with no redeeming qualities.

13 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I can understand going over with the same guys with whom you trained, and then integrating with experienced battalions but not the training sergeant.  I don't know how it was in WWII either, but I can't recall seeing that in any other WWII movie or show.

Not knowing anything about Doss, I was 95% sure he died on the ride down.  I loved all the real life material at the end of the movie.

Amazing story, and the first movie that I've been to in a long time that had the audience applauding at the end.

I haven't seen Hacksaw Ridge yet, but i plan to.  

Spoiler

In Band of Brothers didn't they all train together and then ship over together, officers and men.    I guess it depends if you are forming a new battalion from the ground up which happened more during the World Wars, or if you are being trained as replacements for existing units which is more the case in the modern army.  

Caught a bit of Varsity Blues on tv. The (at the time ) legendary Miss Davis stripping scene. 

Started to wonder what ever happened to that lady?? I thought she was going to be everywhere after that movie, but it seems she just went away. 

Theres very little about her on the internet. I remember she was also in the Texas Chainsaw movie with Matthew Mconn??? and renee zelw???? looking equally hot. It seems those were the only things she was ever in. Now it's like she never existed.

In better news, the fat kid from Varsity Blues became a handsome skinny fella.

For some reason TBBT thread is archived so I figured I'd mention the ridiculous news I just learned that they're doing a Sheldon prequel with him as a teenager. :bang:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/style/sheldon-getting-own-big-bang-202651612.html

Anyway...I watched Trailer Park Boys: Out of the Park. Funniest it's been since they brought it back, imo.

19 hours ago, Isis said:

Watched Where the Wild Things Are yesterday. Almost turned the film off about three times in the first ten minutes or so because it was too 'loud and annoying' for me. But I guess that's the whole theme of the film. On balance I felt disappointed with the film. It had a couple of funny moments, a couple of 'interesting' moments...but my main issue with it is that we don't get to see any character development in the protagonist. For all we know he just went back to being exactly how he was at the start of the film - there is no real evidence of his personal growth. Kind of wish I hadn't have bothered at all really. It was just like spending two hours with a bunch of really annoying, self-centred, immature people...with no redeeming qualities.

That damned movie. So the book was like My Book when I was a precocious toddler who read ahead his age. Cherished it throughout my youth even after I had graduated to important things like Sword of Shannara and Star Wars novels. To this day, I believe that the first full trailer, with Arcade Fire informing me to cry right this instant, softie! is in my top five all time favorite trailers. It was supremely better than the actual movie. You're absolutely right, Max doesn't learn a damn thing. He's just an annoying shit the entire movie, surrounded with obnoxious monsters. I've tried re-watching it probably 5 times, and it just upsets me each time. The stupid trailer still gets me, though. 

Bad Moms was reasonably funny, but basically just another suburban comedy about rebelling against the Stepford Wives.  Not many good comedies lately. 

We're rewatching Frasier on Netflix as our go-to background sitcom.  Nostalgia and still funny.  It really feels more like a theater production than TV -- so few externalities, just the same handful of personalities interacting with largely the same dynamic over and over. 

Rewatching Vikings and...my ambivalence towards it is back.

I can't pin down why it doesn't work for me but something is off. I was really getting into it as Athelstan showed up and you get to deal with his stranger-in-a-strange-land stuff and then...the conflict with the asshole Jarl played by Gabriel Byrne just crashes my interest in the show.

It's just not very compelling on rewatches.

Just watched Man On Fire. Holy crap, what an abysmally directed and edited piece of shit. I felt like I was having a seizure while watching it. I literally stopped watching it and tried to listen to it instead about halfway through, I just couldn't take it anymore.

Other than Dakota Fanning, the film was otherwise forgettable garbage.

Went to see Nocturnal Animals this week. Not really sure about it. Looks great, obviously. Interesting story. I just feel as if the two leads could have been given something more to work with. It's not that they were bad performances per se. Just that I feel they could have gone further and done something a little bit more meaningful. On balance I guess I liked it? Haha. I'm still not completely sure... I just wanted more.

Also got around to watching The Expanse now that it's on Netflix, finally. Binged the whole thing in 24 hours. I'm generally happy with the adaptation. I wonder how well it works for people who haven't read the book though.

On 10/11/2016 at 10:45 AM, Isis said:

Went to see Nocturnal Animals this week. Not really sure about it. Looks great, obviously. Interesting story. I just feel as if the two leads could have been given something more to work with. It's not that they were bad performances per se. Just that I feel they could have gone further and done something a little bit more meaningful. On balance I guess I liked it? Haha. I'm still not completely sure... I just wanted more.

I enjoyed it. I was worried it was going to be all style and no story but there was enough meat placed on top for me to enjoy (I still like a story not just visuals/mood). I thought Adams had a tough job spending most of the film reading but somehow did so in an engaging way. I loved Michael Shannon - he's so good at unhinged and he had the two funniest lines in the film.

What I found slightly disappointing was that I was expecting it was building up to a big reveal

I thought it was going to go into full thriller territory by having Gyllenhall's character kill Adams' husband

but i think the quieter end was a nice turn of events. I don't know if i missed something but

Adams' character must be the most self-obsessed ever/ or really poor at detecting allegory in fiction to not of worked out what her ex was telling her

The film also got extra points because I didn't realise a lot of it was essentially a modern western - always a bonus :)

As for the expanse - they get a lot right but I agree that it may be a bit inaccessible for people who haven't read the book. Need to encourage some friends to try it and see whether that's the case.

2 hours ago, Isis said:

Also got around to watching The Expanse now that it's on Netflix, finally. Binged the whole thing in 24 hours. I'm generally happy with the adaptation. I wonder how well it works for people who haven't read the book though.

I noticed it was up the other day too. I haven't read the books but after The Crown I'm planning to make a start.

In that note, I'm finding The Crown more enjoyable as the series progresses. Foy really steps up to the role of Elizabeth, and less screentime for Matt Smith as Phillip is a bonus

Got to finish the Night Manager on flight back from Tokyo; thoroughly enjoyed it. Wish there was more television like this. 

Also saw The Force Awakens; liked but not loved it. I totally get that it's much more in-line with the originals than the prequels, and it had a great 'feel' to it, but there are still some moments where you groan.

Archived